Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

$565 for a 76-P Type 1 PCGS MS65 IKE?

I was watching this auction to fill a hole in my IKE set. I have since found one for my set ($187 yippee image ), but I was SHOCKED to see what this coin went for! $565.70!!!

If I'm not mistaken that's about $300 more than what that coin had been trending at. What gives? It's a conditional rarity, but not that rare. The pictures are nice but some times scans can be deceptive. I'm not saying that is the case here, but good scans aren't as accurate as good pics IMO.

Is it some one speculating on an upgrade? Someone with too much money and too little time?

I was flabbergasted. image
Collecting coins, medals and currency featuring "The Sower"

Comments

• wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If one of the two "last second" bidders didn't bid, the coin would have sold in the $200's - right? So, what happens next time when one comes up where only one of those bidders cares to bid? You buy the coin at your level?

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • USMC_6115USMC_6115 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, the 77-D went crazy too...same buyer.
  • commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,077 ✭✭✭
    Someone in a stupid hurry to finish their set.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 22,995 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Simply put, his scans allow the Ikes to appear high end if not a point under-graded.

Apparently a couple of watchers/bidders agreed.

peacockcoins

• CoinHuskerCoinHusker Posts: 5,030 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Simply put, his scans allow the Ikes to appear high end if not a point under-graded.

Apparently a couple of watchers/bidders agreed. >>

That was my impression as well.
    Collecting coins, medals and currency featuring "The Sower"
  • cupronikcupronik Posts: 773 ✭✭✭
    First time to the Ike Dollar store, senor?
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,470 ✭✭✭✭
    I have sold IKEs to pvilleprowler and I'm thinking he will be disappointed when this coin arrives. Yes, he has been spending a lot of money on some high grade IKEs, especially the ones sold by this seller but I'malso thinking he may back off on his Nuclear Snipes when this one arrives.

From the photo's it appears that this coin might upgrade which would put it way up on the pricing charts but I doubt that it will. If you compare this auction photo to the 1973-D MS66 he bought, you'll see what I mean.

1973-D

1977-D Way over Bid.

1972-D Way over bid.

I must admit that he is an enthusiastic buyer. Probably looking to get into the IKE registries in a big way if not already there.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!