Home PSA Set Registry Forum

1947 Bond Bread Musial

All:

A coworker of mine brought a card into me this morning, and we found out through the web that it was a 1947 Bond Bread card.

This card is in very good shape (I am posting a picture) and we were curious as to find out what its real value might be.

Unfortunately PSA does not have the Bond Bread issue on the SMR web page.

If anyone could shed any light on to what the value of the card might be, I would appreciate it.

My guess is that it would probably grade a PSA 8, maybe a slight chance of a PSA 9

Thanks for your help.

Rob Ruth

Comments

• Unfortunately it's not an original Bond Bread issue that were distributed in loaves of bread because of the square corners (originals have clipped corners - check out my Berra). Your friend's was reprinted later.

• As for value - I'd guess around $15-20
  • What are the actual measurements on the original bond bread cards?

Also I noticed that PSA does not seem to grade them. Is this because of the clipped corners?

Rob Ruth
  • I'll have to check the measurements at home.

I think PSA doesn't grade them because they don't feel comfortable spotting a reprint that has been cut by the owner vs an original. When you have both in front of you, it's pretty obvious due to thinner stock and slightly yellowed back on the reprints. I believe the reprints are slightly larger too. Any 'Bond Bread' with square corners is definitely not an original. They needed to be clipped in order to fit in the packaging.
  • Oaktown has it right.

I think the square-cornered ones hit the market in the 80's...at first, they were supposedly unearthed in a massive "abandoned warehouse find." My money's on the idea that they were illegally reprinted. I'd say most other collectors agree.
  • The square corners are all reprints
    Have u noticed they are usually all in nm/mt or mint condition?

what other series from this era is available every week in nm/mt or higher grades only
    you never see them in Nm or lower grades
    You never see the single prints

sad part is collectors are buying the reprints because they are ignorant
    they pay 25% of retail & think they stole the card
    in reality they were ripped off

the new scam is they are trimming the corners to make them rounded like the originals

the reprints I have seen are of ultra thin stock, so thin when held up to a light u can see thru them from the back to the front

Use your brain collectors!!
    What series from the pre 50's can u purchase HOF'ers in nm/mt for under $30 on a regular basis ??????