Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

$300 Pack Suggestion

I'd like to add a nice older graded pack, wax tray or rack to my revolving show inventory of 70's and 80's raw and graded wax/rack/cello inventory. I'd like to spend $300.

Currently, I have most of the 72 and later packs already graded (both football and baseball, wax and cello's) in the inventory. I don't have 73 bb or FB wax/cello, 74 bb or FB cello, 75 FB cello, or 76 bb wax/cello. Oldest wax tray I have is 78 bb and fb. Oldest rack is 77 bb/78 fb.

So, looking for suggestions. 1 pack, 2 pack, whatever?

Comments

• AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    86-87 Fleer Basketball.
  • Hi Bob,

I am a big fan of Cello packs. For the shows, you may get more interest if you get some packs with teams of local interest. So Yankees, Mets, Giants, and Bill would be good for NY shows, for example. This local interest on top of the potential pull inherent in authenticated packs may allow for swifter sales.

Trays and Racks, whether warranted or not, have the perception of being more trustworthy than wax and cellos. So, if anything, wax and cellos, for me, would come first for grading with Racks and Trays following.

Harry

• << <i>86-87 Fleer Basketball. >>

Yeah, I was gona say Basketball too, but not the 86 fleer. Sure the 86 fleer is a great set, but I was thinking maybe the oldest Basketball product graded at least PSA 8 in your price range. I don't know the prices off the top on my head, but I think you can't go wrong buying an old Basketball pack.

Giovanni
  • Its not graded by PSA, its not $300, but theres this nice looking pack: Linky image

Giovanni
  • DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    Here you go..

I would love to rip this one..

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!

• << <i>Here you go..

I would love to rip this one.. >>

Truly a great looking pack! image

Giovanni
  • BobSBobS Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    Thanks for all the suggestions.

Remember - this is for resale and not for my own ripping pleasure.

• DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    I know. But if I would love to rip it, just imagine how many of your customers would want to do the same....image

Sell it for $400 and tell them you'll take $25 off if they rip it at your table.

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,392 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks for all the suggestions.

Remember - this is for resale and not for my own ripping pleasure. >>

Bob - not sure how ya gonna do that? I don't sell or anything - just thinking intuitively...

Unless you find a real bargain - how ya gonna flip it for a profit.

Most stuff - e.g. - if ya check BBCEx is priced at "retail." Unless you get lucky - there's not enough appreciation in the short run to warrant tying up 300 bucks? So, the return on investment from an inventory aspect seems a bit weak?

Just my take. If I tie up 300 bucks, I would like to get at least 450$ to make it worth my time - unless I was to flip it next day or something - then even 100 bucks profit is ok.

mike
    Mike
  • BobSBobS Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    Stone:

You're talking about a 50% profit margin. My margin is much less, say 15%-20% at shows. I'm not a full time dealer, but moving 1k worth of product at a show puts an extra $150-$200 in my pocket to buy cards.

Most stuff - e.g. - if ya check BBCEx is priced at "retail." Unless you get lucky - there's not enough appreciation in the short run to warrant tying up 300 bucks? So, the return on investment from an inventory aspect seems a bit weak?

Well, I surely don't buy graded inventory from BBCEx. Priced way too high. But for example, I can pick up a graded 1975 cello off e-bay for $80. BBCEx has them for $100. I can price it at $100 at the show, and those in the know won't mind paying that because it's the going rate from a national dealer, and even though they know they can get if for a little less on the bay, the extra $$ is worth it because they can inspect the pack. The 75 cello was an example, those prices have not been checked.

So..the whole trick is finding bargains 10-20% below retail that I can sell for full retail at the show.

I'm small time.

• NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Bob - look for cello packs that have a local favorite on the front who doesn't normally draw a national premium.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,392 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm small time >>

I think you're having a good time and there's nothing small about that.

If fun is your goal - I'm in.

I just remember that all of the incidental crap I paid for at shows in the 90s ate at my bottom line.

Good lluck finding a pack - not my area so I haven't a clue - I was just applying intuition - but fer sure - not tryin' to rain on your party.

mike
    Mike
  • sfmays24sfmays24 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭
    Hi Bob,

I don't collect graded unopened packs, but can offer the following group I received as part of a trade a couple of years back;

1973 Donruss Baseball Super Freaks Wax Packs (19 total)
    Mint 9 (15 Packs)
    Gem Mint 9.5 (4 Packs)

Let me know if you have any questions.

thank you,

Mike
    sfmays24@hotmail.com