Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Bank of Korea

I am going to be in Seoul for about 10 days a month from now and I was wondering if anyone had any information on the Bank of Korea. I went to their website and I found out general information, but I have no clue if I could buy mint of proof sets there since my hotel is just down the street. I would like to get something to bring back, but I really don't know where to look, so any help would be appreciated.

Dan

Comments

• Options
    Yes, you can. Respectfully, John Curlis
  • Options
    Thanks John, I'm going to buy some presents for myself image
  • Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    Dan, does the BOK have a retail store where you can buy mint sets? Do you know where it is? I might be going to Korea this summer.
  • Options
    MeijiMeiji Posts: 170 ✭✭
    COOL. I hope you have fun. I was born in Korea and came to the US at the age of 8.

I've never gone back but still have tons of family there, all on my mom's side.

I have a few korean coins from back in 70-80's, those I kept when I was a kid.

Have fun and I want to see pictures when you get back image
  • Options
    I'm going to take tons of pictures, so no worries about that. I have been to Europe twice so far. This time I heard about a trip to a few S. Korean cities and a 2 day stay in Tokyo for an elective in my MBA program so I had to jump on it. I'll just have to convince the professor that a stop at the BOK Museum would be worth while. I did find this link and it looks quite interesting. If they have coin sets for sale there too, I can't lose. Link

Sumnom, I am staying in Myeong-Dong and the Bank of Korea Museum is about 2 blocks from the hotel. Do a search for a map of Seoul/ Myeong-Dong and you should be able to find it.
  • Options
    sumnom, the Proof and Mint sets are at the Lobby Store. You can also ck. with the Tellers at the Main Branch or at the Bank of America Branch. Dan8402, walk 3 more blocks, look for entry to enclosed market. Walk around, you will find many Coin shops.Respectfully, John Curlis
  • Options
    Thank you very much for the information John. I may have to escape from the group to check out all of the shops. image
  • Options
    USAROKUSAROK Posts: 887 ✭✭✭
    If you get the chance, you may want to visit some of the coin dealers in the Hoehyeon underground shopping arcade which is located under the Central Post Office near Nam Daemun Market in Seoul. I posted a thread about "A trip to my local coin dealers" that might be of interest to you. Have fun and good luck on your quest!

USAROK
  • Options

<< <i>If you get the chance, you may want to visit some of the coin dealers in the Hoehyeon underground shopping arcade which is located under the Central Post Office near Nam Daemun Market in Seoul. I posted a thread about "A trip to my local coin dealers" that might be of interest to you. Have fun and good luck on your quest!

USAROK >>

I do remember seeing that post a while back and I forgot about it. I think you just made my trip a little more expensive image Thanks for the help Terry.
  • Options
    While the Bank of Korea does have mint/proof sets as they are released, they are usually sold out within days. At this time, there are none available, but as others have mentioned the dealers at the Hoe Hyun underground shopping have all the mint sets available. The 2007 sets are going for about 12,000Won at most of the shops.

JP
  • Options

<< <i>While the Bank of Korea does have mint/proof sets as they are released, they are usually sold out within days. At this time, there are none available, but as others have mentioned the dealers at the Hoe Hyun underground shopping have all the mint sets available. The 2007 sets are going for about 12,000Won at most of the shops.

JP >>

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the information. It is quite timely as I leave tomorrow morning.
  • Options
    Dan:

Enjoy the trip. The weather is getting great right about now.
  • Options
    Alas, I will not be going this summerimage . I just don't have the time...
  • Options
    So, this thread makes me think we have a few collectors of Korean coins here. What kind of collecting interests do you all have? Although I have a nearly complete set of South Korean business strikes, my main interests are Korean coins issued before formal Japanese annexation in 1910, with a special fondness for the five mun coins of the 1880s-1890s.
  • Options
    Mostly I collect the modern stuff in BU condition which I now have about 98% complete. I don't bother with the special commeratives (olympics, etc). I used to be fairly complete on banknotes, but sold most everything when the prices started to skyrocket. Banknotes are just too expensive right now in my opinion. Never really got into pre-Japanese period coins.
  • Options
    Yeah, I am not in to the commems either but some of them are so expensive! I don't understand it.