Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

New PSA labels......

Looks like PSA has listened to some of us...I like the change...Thanks PSA!!

Update - New PSA Labels – A Message from the President

After receiving feedback from numerous hobbyists, we have decided to revamp the PSA labels to distinguish cards graded after the new half-point system launch from those graded previously.

The new PSA labels will contain the same general information; however, the grade number (8) will now appear directly below the description of the grade (NM-MT) on the right side of the label.

For example, the label will look something like this…

1933 GOUDEY #149
BABE RUTH NM-MT

All newly PSA graded cards, will exhibit the new style labels so hobbyists can distinguish between cards graded before and after the change.

It is important to note, however, that this will not apply to reviews. Cards that were graded prior to the half-point system are not cracked out of their current holders unless they clearly have a chance at receiving the half-point bump. For efficiency reasons and in hopes of keeping our turnaround times within estimated range for our customers, it is important that we handle reviews in that fashion.

I appreciate all the feedback. We do listen to our customers and felt this was an appropriate change to make under the circumstances.

Thank you for the continued support.

Sincerely,

Joe Orlando
President

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!

Comments

• Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like they might have found another revenue stream, as well. I'm sure some sellers will want to have cards graded in the past reholdered with the new flips to throw off buyers who are into labelology.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭
    I don't like it at all...

IMO it just lowers the value of any newly graded NON .5 card...Those will now be considered "low end" and not bump worthy...

No more crack and resubs for me...ONLY reviews....That way, the only way I get the new holder is if the card is going up either .5 or a full grade...

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    BuccaneerBuccaneer Posts: 1,794 ✭✭
    Very welcomed news for those with existing collections/sets. It helps to retain resell value.
  • Options
    Yep, all the old style PSA 8's just became PSA 8.25's value wise...

I think they just lost a TON of crack and resub business...

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Very welcomed news for those with existing collections/sets. It helps to retain resell value. >>

• Options

<< <i>Very welcomed news for those with existing collections/sets. It helps to retain resell value. >>

But kills the value of any newly graded 8's in the process...Doesn't make much sense if the reasoning for goin gto half grades was to improve business...

On the bright side, I should be able to find cheaper, newly graded 8's down the road that will fit into my collecting goals.

Jason

• Options
    I think it is a good thing. But, none of this is because of what their customers want. It was clearly explained by PSA many years ago that they would never go to half points. If someone had wanted half points they would have left PSA years ago. Many of their customers stayed with PSA because of this, instead of going to SGC (who in my opinion have better looking holders). All of these things are brought on by one thing, and one thing alone, and that is PSA's need to make more money. They run a business, its that simple. And unfortunately, everyone with very high dollar cards in PSA holders is totally at their mercy, because for the past 6 or 7 years, having a card holdered with an out-dated flip, always tends to bring less cash when it sells. That means they are basically forced into getting their cards re-holdered (meaning they have to pay PSA more money).

You can call all of these moves good or bad, it really doesn't matter.

One thing you simply can't argue about is that PSA lied to all of their customers for many years.
  • Options

<< <i> having a card holdered with an out-dated flip, always tends to bring less cash when it sells. >>

Not this time...Think about...

PSA 8 with new flip has already been deemed NOT .5 worthy...

PSA 8 with old flip has not yet been graded on the .5 scale, so maybe it's an 8.5 in a PSA 8 holder...

Which one is worth more?

Jason
  • Options

<< <i>Yep, all the old style PSA 8's just became PSA 8.25's value wise...

I think they just lost a TON of crack and resub business...

Jason >>

You are right, but don't you see... that is what they wanted, because it saves them money. Sending a card in for a review, and sending in a raw card may cost us the same, but it cost PSA probably 5x more to look at that raw card, because they have to put it in a holder. With the review, PSA is not out the cost of cracking/new holder/holdering labor unless they bump the card.

... Like I said, its all about how PSA thinks they can make the most money. It has nothing to do with what the company has promised us for the past 10+ years.
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    In my humble opinion, it would've easier, wiser and less conspicuous had they just implemented the decimal system on ALL the newly graded cards.

EX:

Old -
    NM 7
    NM+ -
    NM/MT 8

New -
    NM 7.0
    NM+ 7.5
    NM/MT 8.0

Subtle, but effective in decifering the difference.

C'est la vie...

• Options
    DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Yep, all the old style PSA 8's just became PSA 8.25's value wise. >>

Thats exactly why I like it.

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    But kills the value of any newly graded 8's in the process..

It does? how about those 8's you showed us yesterday that did not get the bump?

Suppose they were sent in raw next week and received a straight grade?

Surely nice looking straight graded cards will not be devalued simply by when they were graded.

It comes down to the card, always has always will.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Yep, all the old style PSA 8's just became PSA 8.25's value wise. >>

Thats exactly why I like it. >>

Yep...I have changed my mind on this...I TOTALLY AGREE with everything said here regarding the change...In fact, I'm elated...It makes my decisions much easier down the road..Crack and resub or review? Review..

Thanks PSA!

Jason
  • Options

<< <i>

Steve >>

Never happen..Reviews only for me, as if they do not bump, they stay in the old flip and retain the 8.25 value even if I sold them with an ugly scan or sight unseen...

Jason
  • Options
    I'm pleased PSA will be distinguishing the newly graded cards from those under the old system. However, I agree with Otwcards and others who suggested a decimal system. 7.0, 7.5, 8.0, etc. That would also allow PSA to keep the number grade next to the letter grade. The number grade on the next line will look out of place.

I agree that the newly graded even numbered cards will probably go down in price but if PSA continues to only grade 5 to 10% with the half grades, I doubt the prices will drop too much, but rather the half grade cards will increase in price.

Peter
  • Options

<< <i>Yep...I have changed my mind on this...I TOTALLY AGREE with everything said here regarding the change...In fact, I'm elated...It makes my decisions much easier down the road..Crack and resub or review? Review..

Thanks PSA!

Jason
    >>

Jason, Do I detect a little sarcasm or are you sincere?

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options

<< <i>

I agree that the newly graded even numbered cards will probably go down in price but if PSA continues to only grade 5 to 10% with the half grades, I doubt the prices will drop too much, but rather the half grade cards will increase in price.

Peter >>

Good point, and that's the unknown variable...New flips will surely be worth less..Just a question of how much less..And how many new .5s is one of the variables in determining that...

My review sub just received 23% half-full grade bumps...The more that come out, the less the new NON .5s will be worth IMO. Unless the buyer can definitely see in the scan or in the card that although it is new flip 8, it's still high end for the grade. Will be tougher to prove to most buyers IMO. You'll need 2000 DPI scans to not loose money on nice cards in the new flips..Because that lost money will be spent on the nice cards in older flips..

Jason
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Yep...I have changed my mind on this...I TOTALLY AGREE with everything said here regarding the change...In fact, I'm elated...It makes my decisions much easier down the road..Crack and resub or review? Review..

Thanks PSA!

Jason
    >>

Jason, Do I detect a little sarcasm or are you sincere? >>

Both...lol

The 2 positives are that my nice old flip PSA 8s just became 8.25s, and also making my choice between crack and resub vs. review a given...

The negative is that many will be drawn to overpay for nice cards in old flips, and want to underpay for nice cards in newer flips that have already been determined as not .5 worthy..

Dave, you've done the crack and resub before..With this change would you ever consider cracking an "old style" holder rather than sending it in for review?

Jason
  • Options

Oh Lord, I meant similar cards not your exact cards.

And you and I have this same debate going on in 3 forums lol

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>Dave, you've done the crack and resub before..With this change would you ever consider cracking an "old style" holder rather than sending it in for review?
    >>

Probably not, but I've probably only cracked and resubed maybe 25 cards in the 6 years I've been with PSA. And of those, I've probably had a 75% success rate. I won't crack unless I know the card belongs in a higher grade.

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    Great news for those of us with existing 8s--especially from 1970 on.
  • Options
    Why from 1970 and on?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

My question, Is the label going to be white like the sample one? Or is it still going to be the same PSA label with the info rearranged.

Im closing in on completing my 72 Topps Set and If the new labels are straight white and screw up the continuious style of labels in my set, THAT WILL SUCK!

• Options
    i think the only change being made to the flips will be the numerical grade now BELOW the written grade, everything else will look the same (red).....
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm glad they made this decision. It's a good compromise to help protect the value of the sets owned by their long time set builders. It will also prevent eBay sellers from claiming a card is an old '8' and not a new one already submitted under the half point system.
  • Options

<< <i>I'm pleased PSA will be distinguishing the newly graded cards from those under the old system. However, I agree with Otwcards and others who suggested a decimal system. 7.0, 7.5, 8.0, etc. That would also allow PSA to keep the number grade next to the letter grade. The number grade on the next line will look out of place.

Peter >>

Why will the price go down? An 8 is an 8 is an 8, the chance of a .5 bump is a minor thing, it is still an 8. An 8.5 is not a 9(on the day it was graded). Who cares? Look at the card with your eyes, if it looks nice and you are happy with it, buy it, if not, don't. This is much hubbub about very minute differences. And, the nicest cards may have some alteration, like it or not, it is true. The graders are not perfect and there are so many angles in this grading game that it is quite a feat to JUST ENJOY THE CARDS!
  • Options
    Just got some cards back from PSA with new labels.

Let me just say: THESE LABELS LOOK FREAKING STUPID...THE GRADE IS SO OUT OF PLACE...THEY NEED TO CHANGE BACK...asap!!!

Thanks alot PSA for ruining your stamp on collectibles!!

• Options

<< <i>Just got some cards back from PSA with new labels.

Let me just say: THESE LABELS LOOK FREAKING STUPID...THE GRADE IS SO OUT OF PLACE...THEY NEED TO CHANGE BACK...asap!!!

Thanks alot PSA for ruining your stamp on collectibles!! >>

I agree. They look like they all have qualifiers.
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a buyer the new labels have been an asset. I know a card has already been sent in for the bump or is not high end for the grade. I pass on cards that are priced as though they were high end and those who only want to flip usually are not bidding.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    Personally the new label does not bother me one way or another. Then again, when I was a child I didn't really care who got the red cup.

Clear Skies,
    Mark
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭

<< <i>As a buyer the new labels have been an asset. I know a card has already been sent in for the bump or is not high end for the grade. I pass on cards that are priced as though they were high end and those who only want to flip usually are not bidding. >>

well that is true except for those of us who already had subs in before the change to .5 and new labels...we were graded on the old scale but given new labels in the slabs. so by your standards and others how have said the same about slabs with older labels, we are really getting wacked.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jradke4
    I agree you got a raw deal. PSA should rectify the matter at no charge to you. When I see the new label I assume someone sent it in and was denied the .5 increase. If you send it in for review might the grader assume you have already been denied and not give it the attention it deserves. I would call PSA and see what they can do for you in this matter. Also when selling be sure to mention the circumstance so potential buyers don't feel it has already been reviewed.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    well its really not biggy for me as all of them are in my favre master set or will be once added. it would have been a real pain if they were cards that i wanted to sell.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    seinbigdseinbigd Posts: 206 ✭✭
    I really don't see what the problem is with the new labels. Frankly, I'm glad to be able to tell which grading system was utilized to grade a given card.
  • Options
    bxbbxb Posts: 805 ✭✭
    I agree with seinbigd.

It might take a little getting used to the number one space lower, but it is a simple change that adds very useful information.
    Capecards
  • Options
    i really dont care either. however all older flips that are a full grade could be flagged as possibly a 0.5 bump where as the new flips have already been graded on that scale. that being said we all know that many cards when cracked out and resubmited can move up more than 2 full grades.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    You guys are funny, because you say you can tell which cards are graded after the .5 thing. That's great, but let me point out that if you go to PSA and look at their grading standards you will see that this hasn't changed yet. So, how do you know what makes it a 8.5 instead of an 8 if PSA doesn't explain this in their GRADING STANDARDS.

I'm curious what makes an 8 a 8.5!!!

Thanks,

Roland
  • Options
    Hi ,

Will the ' centering ' be the key issue in re-grading ,

how do PSA measure the borders ?