Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Topps Matchprint Proof - 1973 Topps Reggie - Ya learn something new every day! Update to add a 75T R

Well guys, I've been buying from the Toppsvault for 4 years now and have never seen a "matchprint" proof before. They may have sold some and I missed it. So, I had to have it - especially since it's Reggie!

The auction only described it as a matchprint proof - and there was some competition for it.

Topps checks their cards out before they actually go to press - I know nothing about printing - I went to the net and came up with the fact that there are 3 types of proofs.

Before explaining - let me tell you that Topps does sell their "laminate" proofs from time to time - these are more inexpensive to produce than the matchprint of the Reggie - I'll explain in a minute - but here's an example of that kind which I picked up a while back.

So - here are the types of proofs:

Types of proofs:

1. Contact proof - which seems to coincide with "positional" proof - type of monochrome prepress proof which is inexpensive. E.g's: blueline, Velox or RC paper.
It's used to check position where color is not as critical.

2. Overlay proof - the example I showed of the Rizzuto card. They're individual color acetate sheets - so one can check the individual color and then overlay them - check the registration and then place against a white background. E.g.'s: Chromacheck and Color key.

3. Laminate proof - the example I showed of the Reggie card. The most expensive of the proofs and is made from the negatives to make the printing plates.

Each color separation is transferred individually to a sheet and laminated together providing a very accurate "analog" of the final piece. E.g.'s: Matchprint, Dupont Cromalin.

This type will show with the most accuracy the color, position and registration of the final product without actually "printing" an actual proof. Some matchprints are actually laminated to the final stock paper for illustration and detection of all problem areas.

So, this is what they look at before they actually go to press - check "actual" production proofs and then mass produce 18 zillion of each card! image

I thought this was very interesting and enlightening - I don't think ya can ever learn too much about the production of pieces of cardboard that can cause so much controvery, fun, enjoyment and pain - all at the same moment in time and space!

mike
Mike

Comments

• Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

Hey Mike,

I was digging around my Carew Proofs and still have the "backside" of the 1978 Topps regular card and the 75' Topps laminate "front" regular card from the Topps Vault. The 78' card is definitely a paper product but is wafer thin. I'm not sure if it is acitate though. It does'nt flex like acitate. My 1974 Topps regular Carew "Laminite" Proof card sold last year for $180 from the Topps Vault. My 69' Proof Deckle of Carew sold last year for $75.
  • Options
    I've got some Kellogg's proofs which I posted images of a few weeks ago...full sized 8' x 11" cutouts.

Have three McCovey's, a Mays, a Marichal, a Reggie, and a Carlton.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hey Mike,

I was digging around my Carew Proofs and still have the "backside" of the 1978 Topps regular card and the 75' Topps laminate "front" regular card from the Topps Vault. The 78' card is definitely a paper product but is wafer thin. I'm not sure if it is acitate though. It does'nt flex like acitate. My 1974 Topps regular Carew "Laminite" Proof card sold last year for $180 from the Topps Vault. My 69' Proof Deckle of Carew sold last year for $75. >>

Carew

The laminate proof like the Rizzuto would be in color separations and very flexible - can you scan what you have?

This area will have very little interest - I believe - but I hope people at least like looking.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reggie's face is much clearer in the match print proof than it is in the regular issue.
  • Options

<< <i>I've got some Kellogg's proofs which I posted images of a few weeks ago...full sized 8' x 11" cutouts.

Have three McCovey's, a Mays, a Marichal, a Reggie, and a Carlton. >>

Can you scan and post them?

Where did you get them?

Keep in mind - what I've shown here today are PREPRODUCTION - PREPRINTING - proofs - this is before they actually go to press I believe.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Mike,

Here are scans of the 1970 McCovey, Reggie, & Mays. I got them about 15-20 years ago at the Bob Lee Labor Day Show in San Francisco from a dealer whose name I do not remember. He had a bunch of them, but I just bought the Bay Area guys and the Carlton.

• Options
    I have no idea what those are - but they're absolutely cool.

Thanx for sharing
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Mike,

They are the cut-outs that were photographed against the background to make up Kellogg's 3-D images. The white areas on the cut-outs are spots that were later airbrushed on the actual card.

Matt
  • Options
    bumped because I saw this in a truly crappy thread, and THIS is what folks should be talking about, neat stuff like this.
  • Options
    AUPTAUPT Posts: 806 ✭✭✭
    Mike, that was the butt-ugliest Reggie card ever made . . . remember when it was rumored that it wasn't even Jax?

• Options

<< <i>Mike, that was the butt-ugliest Reggie card ever made . . . remember when it was rumored that it wasn't even Jax?

image >>

Sure do Bob.

Sometimes ya gotta wonder what the heck they're thinkin when they select a photo for the BB card?!

And BTW - he did have a tremendous arm! When I was in dental school, I occasionally went to Yankee Stadium and sat in the right field bleachers - Reggie put excitement in the routine play and I once saw him hit 3rd base on a fly! I can't even see, let alone throw that far!!!!

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    xbaggypantsxbaggypants Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭
    Anyone else know if that is actually Reggie? I heard somewhere that is not.
  • Options
    Tedw9Tedw9 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭
    Not sure how I missed this thread last year, but thanks for bringing it back up. It is stuff like this that makes me love this board.
    Looking for Carl Willey items.
  • Options
    BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926

<< <i>Anyone else know if that is actually Reggie? I heard somewhere that is not. >>

I have never liked that picture of him, when I was a kid I thought he was a pitcher.

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • Options
    spazzyspazzy Posts: 592 ✭✭
    Mike ,

I saw a 1977 topps cloth 4 card sheet with Reggie on it. Its on ebay right now. Is that some type of proof?
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Mike ,

I saw a 1977 topps cloth 4 card sheet with Reggie on it. Its on ebay right now. Is that some type of proof? >>

test product.......
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    Just wanted to add this pickup to an old thread - for any who missed it and am not sure of the types of proofs that go into the "selection" process of the final card before they do a "test proof" just before production:

This is a 75T Reggie card - it's a matchprint proof - very nice quality - this proof was part of the decision making for the final selection of what pic will go on the card:

I stole this scan off ebay - I don't have this card - I never did the 75T set.

I have so much stuff I'd like to frame that I don't have the wall space - unfortunately.
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great item, Mike! Did you get that matchprint from the Topps Vault also? That would make a really great enlargement for the den with the Tops card in the corner of the frame!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike - with the interesting cards you always seem to have, you oughta start a baseball card museum, and I'm almost not kidding - maybe I'm not kidding...I know I would pay admission to go visit. image
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Mike - with the interesting cards you always seem to have, you oughta start a baseball card museum, and I'm almost not kidding - maybe I'm not kidding....i know i would pay admission to go visit. image >>