Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

PayPal and eChecks?

Can someone enlighten me? If I don't have a PayPal balance, I typically pay out of my checking account. But the last three payments were sent as eChecks and the sellers had to wait for it to clear. I don't recall that happening before (after years of paying this way). Is there some setting in PayPal where I can simply transfer the funds without eChecks?

Comments

• Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    If you dont want to carry a paypal balance I think the only way is to use echecks. They deduct the money out of your account which generally takes 3-5 business days.
  • Options

<< <i>If you dont want to carry a paypal balance I think the only way is to use echecks. They deduct the money out of your account which generally takes 3-5 business days. >>

Not true, you can carry a zero balance with Paypal and then pay immediately via a registered credit card or registered direct bank account trasfer.
  • Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    True, but it sounded like he wanted to pay out of his checking account and not use a credit card.
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    "..you can carry a zero balance with Paypal and then pay immediately via a registered credit card or registered direct bank account trasfer. "

/////////////////////////////////////////////

Yup.

Credit card is best/safest.
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    BuccaneerBuccaneer Posts: 1,794 ✭✭
    That was it! I had recently deleted a credit card. I just added my new one and voila, the Instant Transfer options appears. Thanks.
  • Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    correct steve-if u have a credit card connected to you paypal accout,like i have paypal plus one on mine,you can just pay right thru your credit card on choose other payment meathods instead of em taking it out of your bank account or paypal balance ,they confuse me on that echeck stuff-
    ive gotten echecks- dont really know what one is,
    i never real all the jibberish fine print to it i know one takes 5-6 days to clear-the echeck-and a credit card payment is instant and taken care of,f that helps anyimage
  • Options
    If you have a credit card or bank/check/debit card linked to your account, the transfer is instant. If it is a 'draft' from a checking account without any type of card, the transaction will be as an 'echeck'. It typically takes 5-7 days for the funds to clear into the seller's account, but on the upside the maximum fee that Paypal can take from an echeck is $5, no matter how amount the transaction is.

If your account had been transferring money instantly and suddenly switched to sending echecks, check to make sure your bank card's expiration date has been updated in your Paypal account. That happened to me a few years ago. image
    2001-2014 Topps Heritage complete!
  • Options
    <That was it! I had recently deleted a credit card>

i had one expire on me once and took me while to figure out what was gong on,i try to pay with paypal plus credit card instead of digging into my paypal balnce,makes you fell like you're working for nothing by the time you buy a good expensive cardimage
  • Options
    BuccaneerBuccaneer Posts: 1,794 ✭✭
    I usually buy from known/trusted sellers like tonight, for example. One of the best is our friend, Jay, at qualitycards. He is going to ship the card out tomorrow anyways, despite the eCheck thing.
  • Options
    i get alot of those echecks that you have to wait on from ovesea buyers,esp germany-always same people,my normal cutomers, i just hate waiting for 5 or 6 hunded bucks to clear when you want o get your $ out of paypal,that annoying-if from u.s. no big deal
    ive bought from quilitycards before,yeah jay is a cool guy-been a while though, been chasing 50 bowman fb all over the webimage
  • Options
    Anyone ever have a BAD experience with receiving an e-check? I just received one for something I sold. It says it won't clear until Friday the 31st. It's currently saying that the buyer's address is unverified though, which is the only thing that worries me. The buyer has positive feedback of 325...but only six transactions since August.
  • Options
    "...It's currently saying that the buyer's address is unverified though, which is the only thing that worries me. ..."

///////////////////////////////////////////////////

Buyers are "verified."

Addresses are "confirmed."

I ship to unverifed buyers, if their addys are confirmed.

• Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    I started sending e-checks when my backup funding source credit card expired...I updated my card and I sent instant payments again.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options

<< <i>"...It's currently saying that the buyer's address is unverified though, which is the only thing that worries me. ..."

///////////////////////////////////////////////////

Buyers are "verified."

Addresses are "confirmed."

I ship to unverifed buyers, if their addys are confirmed. >>

Correction:

In my case, the buyer is verified. The shipping addressed is unconfirmed (appears to be a PO Box).

What should I do?
  • Options

PowerSellers are covered to unconfirmed addys.

Other sellers may be covered as well.

Look at the transaction details page in PP.

IF it says, "eligible" for seller protection, it is good to go.
    (Even if the addy is "unconfirmed.")
    Otherwise, you have to decided if it is worth the risk to you.

EVEN on PSer accounts, I seldom ship to an unconfirmed addy.
    My listings all state "confirmed addys only." Almost nobody buys
    anything from me, if their addy is not "confirmed."

PP says:

PayPal provides confirmed addresses to help sellers make informed decisions when shipping goods. Address confirmation is useful because it provides a way for a seller to verify a buyer's identity. Shipment to a confirmed address, however, is not necessarily a requirement for coverage under the Seller Protection Policy since not all PayPal users are able to confirm their addresses. An Unconfirmed Address is not necessarily fraudulent but sometimes poses an inconvenience for legitimate buyers. If a transaction is eligible for coverage under the Seller Protection Policy, a seller must ship to the address found on the Transaction Details page (regardless of whether that address is confirmed or not). For transactions that are ineligible for coverage under the Seller Protection Policy, we recommend that a seller ship to a buyer's Confirmed Address.

again...............

Item is shipped to an eligible address — The item must be shipped to an eligible address. PayPal is continually working to increase the number of eligible buyer addresses. To determine shipping address eligibility, refer to the shipping address area of your Transaction Details page.

• Options
    The buyer has a PO Box for her address.

It was only a $9.99 item, and the buyer has perfect feedback. Maybe I'm being overly protective on this, but it's annoying that the person can't just have a regular paypal account w/ confirmed address and regular payment...not this e-check wait four days to clear bit.
  • Options
    For $9.99, I would ship to the unconfirmed box.

MOST PP customers do not know that they can have MULTIPLE
    "confirmed addys." MANY have several "confirmed addys."

The instant customer is probably just fine. Simply wants the
    item at their box instead of at their currently confirmed addy.

IF the amount was BIG, I would hesitate. In this case, no worries.

• Options
    auctionbytes............update

PayPal also said it now protects all US sellers (not just PowerSellers) on eligible transactions with buyers from the 190 markets where PayPal is accepted, with no annual coverage limit and for no additional cost. Sellers can ship to any address listed on the transaction details page - confirmed or unconfirmed - for items sold on eBay.

There are also some exceptions to the improved protection for sellers. For example, if a payment is pending review by PayPal and the Transaction Details page tells a seller not to ship, but the seller does, then the seller won't be covered.

PayPal said that although the PayPal User Agreement states that the buyer and seller protections are not effective until 10/31/08, the actual date for transaction coverage started October 22, 2008.

end