Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Poll: Based on the Super Bowl result, Tom Brady rookie cards will...

image...There's always time for coin collecting. image

Comments

• Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    The Contenders and SP Authentic will drop to 8-10 on the hotlist as Manning and Burress move up for a month and then it will be all SAGE and Press Pass autos until preseason begins. Then the Brady and Moss cards will be at the top before week 1 kickoff.
  • Options

<< <i>The Contenders and SP Authentic will drop to 8-10 on the hotlist as Manning and Burress move up for a month and then it will be all SAGE and Press Pass autos until preseason begins. Then the Brady and Moss cards will be at the top before week 1 kickoff. >>

I can agree with that assessment.

One had to expect that the values of Brady stuff would drop off. The prices were based on the expectation that the Patriots would end the season as Super Bowl champions with an unbeaten record. When that didn't happen, prices dropped. FWIW I tracked the Contenders Brady RC and prices fluctuated some $1,000 on Super Bowl Sunday. Of course there will always be a huge premium on the Contenders Championship Ticket as there are only 100 of them.

I will stick to my philosophy that these should be tense times for Brady collectors. The Patriots are innocent until proven guilty, but should something come from the Congressional investigation then we could possibly see a hit on Brady stuff even though he would've had nothing to do with what happened. Just my $.02
  • Options
    GonblottGonblott Posts: 1,951 ✭✭
    Brady cards will settle down during the off-season.

You guys think Peyton Manning cards would rise or stay the same? Like his 1998 Sp Authentic for example....

• Options
    Peyton's SP Authentic is an interesting card. I remember a time when a PSA 9 was selling for over $1,300. However, there are so many copies in a Mint grade now that the prices have come back down. As far as the future, I can only see the card increasing in value over time as he gets closer to breaking records. It may not be exponential growth like we saw with Brady stuff this year, but you have to remember that there's only 2,000 copies of the card.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've never been good at predicting this kind of stuff.

But, doesn't FB RC's usually drop off a bit with the off season unless there's something drawing attention to a particular card?

So - has there been a little spike in the value of Eli's cards? Just curious - don't even know if I have a RC of his? Gonna have to look.

We used to have some really involved RC collectors a long time ago - does anyone remember Beachbum?

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Was just wondering because I recently purchased a 1998 SP Manning /2000 PSA 9 for $600. Just wanted some feedback on how his stuff was doing and if I should hang on to it or not.
  • Options
    Considering how cold Eli stuff was at the start of the year his dedicated collectors could cash in.

It's not a rookie card, but an on card autographed card of Archie, Eli & Peyton sold 2-3 weeks ago for a little over $200. After the SB, a copy like it went over $500.
  • Options
    I think having a one or two of his high end rookies wouldn't be a bad thing to have.

Eli is hype now but still has room to grow in the future.
  • Options

<< <i>Was just wondering because I recently purchased a 1998 SP Manning /2000 PSA 9 for $600. Just wanted some feedback on how his stuff was doing and if I should hang on to it or not. >>

The value won't spike in the offseason if you're looking for quick profit.
  • Options
    Not intended, just want to make sure before I put it away for a few months.
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    The poll numbers are very optimistic.

In financial predictions, the majority is almost ALWAYS wrong.

We need a way to SHORT cards.
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    Optimistic yes, but the numbers prove that's not the case. Even Tom's most desired card, the Championship Ticket, has had prices at $1,000 lower after the loss. They may increase in price between now and the start of the season, but they're not remaining steady after the loss.
  • Options
    kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    on the eli thing..

i tried selling a couple of 2004 topps cards listed them once or twice each at .99 i think before the superbowl. they didnt sell. or maybe one did i forget.

but i relisted them and one went for 13.50 after the superbowl and one went for 3.50 i think. gotta check again. but im positive the one went for 13.50. now they going for .99 again i think.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got no idea. I just voted yes because hes a top 3 QB of all time. image
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    I think they will soar after he blew the biggest game of his career, one which everybody in the free world thought and expected he would win. What a weird question.
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    Brady has already built up a cache. One MVP, two SB MVPs, 3 rings, etc.. His cards may level off and perhaps drop slightly, but unless he pulls an OJ Simpson or Barry Bonds, they will most likely never go down drastically. Once again, he's already got a slew of achievements and is already a lock for the HOF. Sure, he blew (or rather the team blew) the chance to go 19-0, but that would have just been another jewel on his belt. It's not like he really needed it to establish himself to the world. The win was much, much more valuable to the opposing QB, in case Eli in terms of collector/investor interest.
  • Options
    By the way, this same principle applies to Peyton Manning as well. He may never see another SB or MVP, but that may not matter any more. He has already built up his resume and when he retires, along with Brady, will be considered as 1 of the 2 best QBs of the 1st decade in the 21st century. Their cards will never tank unless some really serious turns the public eye.
  • Options

<< <i>By the way, this same principle applies to Peyton Manning as well. He may never see another SB or MVP, but that may not matter any more. He has already built up his resume and when he retires, along with Brady, will be considered as 1 of the 2 best QBs of the 1st decade in the 21st century. Their cards will never tank unless some really serious turns the public eye. >>

Agreed. Personally I felt that Brady stuff was undervalued after his 3rd SB, but that was just me. Although I felt the prices should've been a little higher, the amounts his cards received pre-Super Bowl was nothing short of ridiculous.

However, I mentioned the hearings in regards to the alleged taping. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt right now, but if it's confirmed that the Patriots taped the Rams during their final practice before the Super Bowl does Brady still go down as one of the top QB's?

• Options
    Brian- that's what they said about Jordan (consensus greatest player ever) and his cards took a nosedive about 5 years ago. Artificial inflation on cards will always be temporary.
  • Options

<< <i>Brian- that's what they said about Jordan (consensus greatest player ever) and his cards took a nosedive about 5 years ago. Artificial inflation on cards will always be temporary. >>

That's already been factored in. There is one thing that the Brady and Manning cards have that the Jordan one doesn't. They are legitimately scarce. If you take all the Manning and Brady SPs *AND* contender cards and grouped them together, they are still much, much more rarer than even the scarcest Jordon rookie. True, #'d cards are an artificially created scarcity, but it's a scarcity nevertheless and this helps retain the value over the long haul for a card that was mass produced to the level of the Fleer (even Star) Jordon rookies. Not saying that the values won't eventually drop, just that you won't be seeing a drastic reduction unless something comes up that causes the fan base to completely turn away, ala OJ.
  • Options
    Since the Manning Contenders card was mentioned, I thought you might be interested in this. There was a price explosion on the card recently. Not sure what caused it, but I never ruled out the fact that the Brady increases could've actually helped the increase in Manning stuff. In any case, two raw copies from 2 noted sellers dropped for absurd amounts. One went over $5K and the other for $6K in raw. Although the numbers have tapered back to the $3K mark for raw, there have been solid prices for the three graded copies that sold. Just as a note, these numbers are for sales only. The "auction reserve not met" listings are not part of this list:

Ebay 230210698338 Raw $6,400 1/17/08
    Ebay 320208925388 Raw $2,651 1/18/08
    Ebay 350015596351 Raw $5,155 1/20/08
    Ebay 330206298023 Raw (Included Press Pass & Topps 1998 Autographs) $5,200 1/23/08
    Ebay 130190611605 BGS 8- Centering 9.0, Corners 8.0, Edges 7.5, Surface 8.5, Auto 9.0 $3,600 1/25/08
    Ebay 170189178184 PSA 10 $9,000 2/2/08
    Ebay 300194469398 Raw $2,700 2/3/08
    Ebay 130193279876 Raw $3,350 2/4/08
    Ebay 280196569855 PSA 9 $6,012 2/8/08
  • Options
    Well, I think the two are pretty much intertwined at this point. One can no longer mention Brady without also mentioning Manning, and vice versa.
  • Options
    Brian- I'm gonna have to disagree again. Brady has dozens of numbered RCs, and dozens more not numbered. If someone wants a Brady RC, they have their pick at how much they want to spend. But now you have this gap between the SP Auth. and Contenders and the rest of the field which is abnormal and unrealistic. This is artificial inflation at its finest and the truly insane cards that have gone overboard will come back down to earth.

• Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    i think they will sing and act like he did on sat night live last week image
    randy
  • Options

<< <i>Brian- I'm gonna have to disagree again. Brady has dozens of numbered RCs, and dozens more not numbered. If someone wants a Brady RC, they have their pick at how much they want to spend. But now you have this gap between the SP Auth. and Contenders and the rest of the field which is abnormal and unrealistic. This is artificial inflation at its finest and the truly insane cards that have gone overboard will come back down to earth. >>

exactly-

The individual cards are low numbered, but there are so many different numbered cards to go with the millions of regualr issue Topps, Bowman, UD, etc cards, that the total number of Brady or manning rookies available is still staggering. The jordan has one real option, so everyone that wants his rookie is forced to focus on that card. With recent players, there are probably 100 different cards availabe to spread the bidding.
    My baseball and MMA articles-
    http://sportsfansnews.com/author/andy-fischer/

imagey
  • Options

<< <i>Brady has already built up a cache. One MVP, two SB MVPs, 3 rings, etc.. His cards may level off and perhaps drop slightly, but unless he pulls an OJ Simpson or Barry Bonds, they will most likely never go down drastically. Once again, he's already got a slew of achievements and is already a lock for the HOF. Sure, he blew (or rather the team blew) the chance to go 19-0, but that would have just been another jewel on his belt. It's not like he really needed it to establish himself to the world. The win was much, much more valuable to the opposing QB, in case Eli in terms of collector/investor interest. >>

So what? Last year Brady SP Authentic /1250 were selling for $500-$1,000 Buy It Now and he had all those achievements already. How is this time any different? Perfect season is done and was unsuccessful, they should go back to what they were last year in a few months.

Right now all the people who bought before the SB are now trying to sell for $2500 BIN, we'll see what the price is when everyone lists and tries to get out.
  • Options
    Recently picked up 2000 Sp Authentic Brady RC PSA 9 for $900 off eBay.

Woott