Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1959 Topps FB TTM Project: Bart Starr is in!

Greetings all.

I've decided that while I'm waiting for my '68 Ryan/Koosman to get finished it would be fun to start a new project. Considering that I've got a signed '59 Unitas I decided that I should also get some of the other notables signed while I can. Although I would love to go the signed rookie card route from some players, I like the '59 design and the cards can be picked up for decent prices. Currently I've purchased Bart Start and Y.A. Tittle and will soon try to get the Paul Hornung, Jim Taylor, and maybe Frank Gifford. Jim Brown has a card in the set as well but considering that I've been told that he doesn't sign TTM, I'll need a little help. If anyone is going to be where he is signing and is willing to go through the line, I would appreciate the help. I'm sure it won't be cheap to get it signed, but I'd appreciate the help.

While on the subject, are there any others that anyone would suggest trying to get signed from the set?

Of course a special thank you to rube for all of his help thus far.

Comments

• Options
    tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    Chris,
    Congrats on picking a great looking set, I have thought about starting that set many times as I have probably 20-30 signed 59 Topps myself.
    The problem with putting together a set autographed isnt getting the stars they are fairly easy to acquire. Your biggest concern will be finding guys who have passed on and that there are very few signed cards of or players that never were good signers to begin with.

This list is by no means complete, but I know these players from the 1959 Topps football set are deceased ...

Bill Forester, Bobby Layne, Steve Myhra, Lou Groza, Charlie Conerly, Ernie Stautner, Matt Hazeltine, Jim Ringo, Jim Patton, Roosevelt Brown, Jim Schrader, Ed Brown, Jim David, Willie Galimore, Johnny Unitas, Kyle Rote, Clarence Peaks, Leo Nomellini, Alan Ameche, Dick Nolan, Gene Gedman, Big Daddy Lipscomb, Ray Renfro, L.G. Dupre, Bruce Bosley, Max McGee and Tom Tracy.

Also, Dave Middleton cannot sign for health reasons. The photo on the Jim Taylor card is not the Packers Jim Taylor and I don't know if he signs the card or not. Lipscomb and Galimore have been deceased for many years and I wonder how many of their autographs are even out there.

This is a great set for sigs and I wish you the best of luck on it, I may join you in trying to put it together soon. Good Luck !

• Options
    Thanks for the help. Although I'd enjoy having a lot of signed copies, I'm not sure that I'd go for a set anyways. Nothing against having a lot of signed copies, but I'm at a point where space is becoming a premium and I'd like to limit cost. With all of that being said, I may just have to limit it to a select handful.

Like I said to you before, I'd love to have a signed Starr RC. However, this is so much more economical and it'll look nice beside the Unitas.
  • Options
    SheamasterSheamaster Posts: 542 ✭✭✭
    Not sure where you live but Paul Hornung is signing in St. Louis Feb 16th ...

http://www.stlsportscollectors.com/index.html
  • Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    How about a few scans, guys?
  • Options
    Here's the '59 Unitas. This one is rapidly climbing the ranks of becoming one of my favorite cards to have ever owned.

• Options
    Bart Starr is a good signer TTM, I believe his autos are $40 made out to his charity Rawhide Ranch. Not bad for someone of Starr's stature. A 59 Starr would look great signed against that pink background on the card.

• Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    id like to start on another autographed one i like 57- thru 60- on my 50 bow fb i got 62/144 and 100 of em are dead,it can be done-ya just gotta dig for the dead guys,commons are the worst,i got all the 50 bow stars except for doak and lou the toe
  • Options
    Decided to go on and get the Hornung tonight. I'm looking to get copies in decent condition that also have good centering.

Adding Starr/Tittle/Hornung will be a solid start. I believe that I'll send a note to Jim asking if he'll sign. If I can figure out how to get Jim Brown I could be content with that group of signed cards.
  • Options
    Ugh. I heard that Jackson got hit pretty hard but had no idea it was that bad. That town has had more than it deserves when it comes to storm damage. Although I lived in Humboldt, the north Jackson area is an area that I'm very familiar with.

I hope you're ok.
  • Options
    Everyone in my house is ok, We laid in the hallway last night and listened to baseball sized hail hit our house. Less than two milies from us was not so lucky, Union University got hit hard.

• Options

<< <i>Everyone in my house is ok, We laid in the hallway last night and listened to baseball sized hail hit our house. Less than two milies from us was not so lucky, Union University got hit hard. >>

The video from Union is unreal. I'm all too familiar with that area and couldn't believe it. I guess teh fact that the initial reports were saying that 16-18 were hurt had me thinking it was a small area that got hit.

I'm glad your family is ok and I hope the damage to your stuff isn't too serious.
  • Options
    The raw '59 Tittle already arrived this morning and went out to Y.A. this afternoon.

In my letter I included a scan of the '59 Unitas and asked Y.A. if he would sign it along the side like Johnny signed his copy. I hope that doesn't make me a jerk.
  • Options
    Around 3 weeks since sending the cards and $ to Tittle and Starr. I hope that's the norm.

On another note, Paul Hornung charges for his sig, which is something that I wasn't aware of. Long story short, I got the SASE with the card, letter I sent and a printed out price sheet for his sig. The paper pointed out that the money all goes to charity and to make the payment out to the specific charity. I can get over the fact that Paul wasn't willing to sign my card without the $35, but the least he could've done is include my sharpie in the SASE. The envelope was certainly large enough.
  • Options
    yeah- like they really need the $, i believe the "for my favorite charity" on alot of em is thier pocketimageid like to think not- i know tittle got $ runningout his ears from his insurance co., im working on alot of teams cards and dudes that are nobody want $ to sign,just because they were on a was team or something, the 68 braves i seem to running into that on alot of them
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    Be sure to try for Lennie Moore. That's a great looking card of a guy who is, despite being a HOFer, generally underappreciated.
  • Options
    ripkenintheminorsripkenintheminors Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭

<< <i>yeah- like they really need the $, i believe the "for my favorite charity" on alot of em is thier pocketimageid like to think not- i know tittle got $ runningout his ears from his insurance co., im working on alot of teams cards and dudes that are nobody want $ to sign,just because they were on a was team or something, the 68 braves i seem to running into that on alot of them >>

I can live with paying for a sig, but I think a lot of my frustration at Hornung comes from the deal with three of my TTM projects currently out. I'm looking at 3 weeks on two of them and longer than that on another. If you're charging for a sig at least get it back with a decent amount of turnaround. Either way, it's still amusing that Hornung wants $ for charity but had no problem stealing my marker.
  • Options
    JeremyDie1JeremyDie1 Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Greetings all.

I've decided that while I'm waiting for my '68 Ryan/Koosman to get finished it would be fun to start a new project. Considering that I've got a signed '59 Unitas I decided that I should also get some of the other notables signed while I can. Although I would love to go the signed rookie card route from some players, I like the '59 design and the cards can be picked up for decent prices. Currently I've purchased Bart Start and Y.A. Tittle and will soon try to get the Paul Hornung, Jim Taylor, and maybe Frank Gifford. Jim Brown has a card in the set as well but considering that I've been told that he doesn't sign TTM, I'll need a little help. If anyone is going to be where he is signing and is willing to go through the line, I would appreciate the help. I'm sure it won't be cheap to get it signed, but I'd appreciate the help.

While on the subject, are there any others that anyone would suggest trying to get signed from the set?

Of course a special thank you to rube for all of his help thus far. >>

• Options

<< <i>Greetings all.

Of course a special thank you to rube for all of his help thus far. >>

Jim Brown is scheduled to be at the National this July in Chicago. I may be able to help you on a autograph.
  • Options

<< <i>Jim Brown is scheduled to be at the National this July in Chicago. I may be able to help you on a autograph. >>

That would be awesome. If you think you'll have the time to help just let me know as the show gets closer.
  • Options
    I will. No problem. image
  • Options
    Took a little longer than I expected, but I received the 1959 from Bart Starr today. When I wrote to him, I was aware of the fact that he tends to personalize the sigs. With all of that being said, I mentioned the fact that I have a 19 month old daughter and asked him to personalize it to her. Hopefully I can get a scan posted tonight/tomorrow.
  • Options
    Congrats Chris !
    cant wait to see it, I just picked up one myself.

• Options

<< <i>Congrats Chris !
    cant wait to see it, I just picked up one myself. >>

Thanks. FWIW I know there was a PSA/DNA authenticated that sold recently but can't recall the price. Is that the one you got or did you go TTM?

I spent the day in Jackson today. We had to do the Easter shopping route for new shoes for little ma'am. I went to Toys-R-Us to finally return something given to the baby as a Christmas gift and it took forever. There was a dude in front of me that decided to go and file for Toys-R-Us credit to pay for a $700+ swing set. The lady told him that he was rejected and he freaked out. He proceeded to talk about how he didn't need the credit and said he'd use the debit card.

Denied.

He then pulled out his credit card.

Denied.

Now all the while in the midst of all of this they can't help me because they have the register tied up waiting for the payment. On top of this, one of the guys that works for the store is already loading it in the guy's van.

Where this gets ridiculous is in the fact that after the credit application denial, debit card and even credit card getting denied, the guy asks if they'll take a check. My immediate comment was "Are you kidding?" but the clerk goes ahead and makes me wait another 15 minutes while she tries to get approval on a check from an account that has already been denied once. Needless to say the check doesn't get approved and the guy goes crazy. It was strange watching a guy go on about how much money he has in the wake of getting denied 4 times like that.
  • Options
    Yes, It was I who bought the Psa/Dna 59 Starr, I also picked up a 61 Topps of Starr. Funny, the 61 went for more than the 59.

Dude, we have got to get together and talk cards sometime, Cant believe you were in J-Town. Sorry to hear you met one of the local idiots.

• Options

<< <i>Yes, It was I who bought the Psa/Dna 59 Starr, I also picked up a 61 Topps of Starr. Funny, the 61 went for more than the 59.

Dude, we have got to get together and talk cards sometime, Cant believe you were in J-Town. Sorry to hear you met one of the local idiots. >>

Congratulations, and yes that's interesting.

We should meet up at a Jaxx game. I don't get to as many as I once did, but I still make it to a bunch of games during the year. Last year I went to watch them play the Biscuits at the beginning of the year. I wanted to see Evan Longoria and I had front row by third base. My buddies and I cheered for Evan all night and he went yard in his first AB. When he came back out to play defense he came by and tipped hit hat to us. It was hilarious. If you're a music fan you could also come out for a tour of the local museum. It's a cool place as long as you don't try to go during Moto-X.

I had the choice of choosing between Jackson and Nashville and chose Jackson for some reason. I guess I wanted to be nice and let the grandparents see the baby. Either way it was all I expected. We went to Ross for whatever reason. I'm told the prices are good, but it's not worth my time to have to stand in a check out line for over 20 minutes. I was able to swing by the card store and bought a couple of packs of cards. I typically try to not buy anything in there, but figured that I deserved a pack of cards. I got an autograph of some Broadway kid in the White Sox system and another sp of Nick Swisher.

• Options
    We will definitely try to catch a Jaxx game this year.
    How was the customer service at the ole Jackson Card Shop ?/ Chitty as usual I suspect.

• Options
    imageimage

• Options

<< <i>We will definitely try to catch a Jaxx game this year.
    How was the customer service at the ole Jackson Card Shop ?/ Chitty as usual I suspect. >>

There was some guy I'd never seen before in there. I know the younger kid that is in there on occasion but this was some adult guy. There was some kid in there buying a ton of cards from one of those bargain bins and was planning on retiring on the card of Larry Bird he found.

I loved the previous owner of the shop. He was great. The new guy has a hard time letting anyone know they have something good. There's been times I'll take something in just to hear what type of absurd comment I'll get. I can accept that he's a Favre fan and wouldn't have much to say about something of Manning or Unitas, but a person could take a Honus in there and watch it get ripped.
  • Options
    Very nice! Given the fact that my daughter is now 2/2 in TTM requests between Coach Wooden and Bart Starr, I may need to focus on getting things signed for her. I love rube's idea of sending to various artists. I'd love to do a TTM project and ask artists for drawings and then get them all framed together.

I got this in the mail today as well. My dad is big in bluegrass music and loves coming to Jackson for the plectoral society meetings where they jam out at Casey Jones. For years I remembered him telling me about how he once met Bill Monroe, his musical hero, and got an autograph. Apparently the autograph got lost and he was bummed about it. With that being said, I try to get him Bill Monroe memorabilia when I can. Prices can be a beast on some of the items at times with serious fluctuation going on. However, I was able to get this for around $20. I'm confident it's authentic after communicating with the seller about how he acquired it. It'll look good framed:

• Options
    i gots that warm fuzzy feeling image harvey meiselman quit putting put the ect list-men of distinction last year,im using last years list,not enuff interest he said, i like it,i had to buy one off sportcollectors site!!
  • Options
    BlackborderBlackborder Posts: 2,797
    Awsome project, I love the 59's.

Here's one on ebay right now, not in the best shape though.