Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

For those of you who collect registry sets, why do you do it?

I don't have a set on the registry (yet), but I'm curious as to why those of you that do participate in the registry.

Best,

Ron
Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items

Comments

• Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    For me, I started with the All Time Rushers set because I had a few of the cards. It gave me a small set to start with to see how I liked it and it provided a sampling of cards that are easily found already graded. Once I got started on that set, I quickly found that my competitive juices started flowing and I was looking to find the next card. Plus you meet some great people who are just as, or more passionate about the hobby or a particular set than you are. Not to mention you can build fun rivalries with guys and exchange thoughts and ideas about the sets. I used to have all of the football Key Card sets completed, or near completion as well as the Top 200 sportscard set. (That one was nowhere near completed)

I've since sold off my Key Card sets and just kept my HOF and All Time Vikings sets. I was spending too much time and money on things that I needed for some of these sets and I lost my focus as to why I started doing them in the first place. I may do the all time position and team of the decade sets again one day though.
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    lets see. my first set was the favre master set. hmm...my fav sport...fav team...fav player. others are sets that i always liked.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    I use the registry to keep track of the cards easier.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭
    I was collecting PSA graded NFL HOF RCs since before the Registry even started (since 1999).

The Registry gives me a place to "house" my collection online. It also is an easy way to track what I need without having to carry an excel spreadsheet with me everywhere I go. It can be a great place to link up with like-minded collectors to buy/sell/trade cards as well.

It's free to use, I don't understand why anyone who collects graded cards WOULDNT use it. If you don't collect a particular set, you can at a minimum list what you have in the Collector's Showcase. Unless you never leave your house and always have direct access to your cards, the Registry is a perfect solution for maintaining what you have.

I don't really worry too much about the competitive side, or what place I am in. It's fun to see where you stack up, but realistically it matters ZERO where you are ranked.

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I use it as a way to track my sets. I can also download a picture of the card.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,589 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For inventory reasons only, I for one will never attempt to put together a complete set.
  • Options
    WondoWondo Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭
    Couple of reasons in no particular order:

1. Inventory
    2. Fun to show off a set
    3. Get to see what is really out there
    4. Competition
    Wondo

• Options
    hankcaddyhankcaddy Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1 TRACK WHAT I HAVE
    2 I AM A SET COLLECTOR ANYWAY
    3 COMPETITION IS FUN
    4 SEE HOW I MATCH AGAINST LIKE MINDED COLLECTORS

PLUS I LOVE FOR OTHER PEOPLE TO SEE MY COLLECTION
    currently collecting baseball of
    2004 spx
    1989 topps psa 10
    1959 phillies
    Phillies of the 70's
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Couple of reasons in no particular order:

1. Inventory
    2. Fun to show off a set
    3. Get to see what is really out there
    4. Competition >>

Couldn't have said anything more to the point than that.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    What everybody else said is true for me as well, but I'd add that I like the community that forms when you are involved in a set registry. I've found that other registry collectors are a great source of information and they are usually more than willing to buy/sell/trade with other collectors just to help out a brother.
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    i have a couple of complete sets,that i've always wanted to complete and i figured that the psa protection against fakes and trimmed cards wouldn't hurt. of course i don't compete with the big guys, but i like my sets.
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    For me it is the organization as a number 1. A close #2 is the competition. I am very passionate about my Packers and my cards. When I lose out on a card I do get pissed. That is the competitive side of me.

And I also like to argue with Steve about cable TV image
  • Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    I have been able to make many trades and purchase a lot of cards that I would not have otherwise if my set was not on the registry.
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,623 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll go along with Wondo's comments.

However, a couple of months ago I decided to sell my entire collection. Having done so, I've deleted all but one of my Registry sets, which is the All-Time Red Sox set. I've enjoyed the competition along the way, and once had the 10th best 55T set. When you finally reach 100% within a particular set it is very satisfying to know you've really accomplished quite a feat, especially if your cards are high grade.

For those that have extenisve collections, I would highly recommend displaying your cards in some form of a display case. Keeping them in Roops or just a box somewhere really doesn't allow you to appreciate what you have. I built a display case for my 55T set, gotta tell ya, when those 210 cards (I got the 4 missing cards) are on your wall in all their glory, it is indeed quite a sight to behold and enjoy. Basic carpentry skills and a few tools will allow you to truly enjoy what you have worked so hard to attain. 15 cards per row and 14 rows will conveniently total 210 for the 55T set. The footprint is about 5' x 7'.

Al
  • Options
    I use it to track my collection mainly. I also get emails, some good, some not so good, from others offering to sell me items I need, which occasionally saves me some time. Do sometimes find myself getting caught up in where my sets are, have made some bad decisions with that.

Tim
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭
    My situation and thoughts are exactly the same as jason's above. I was doing most of my psa registry sets before I even heard of the registry. 15 years ago there was several cards shops in the area. They were social gathering grounds for addicted to sport cards people like me......10 years ago the internet (ebay) was killing them...as well as offering them a way to continue from home. All the shops died out. The registry replaces that for me. The BS is replaced by emails and message boards. The boards are a source of information as well as a buying/selling medium.
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    Good Morning,
    I have an interesting flip side answer to your question. I have a few Registered sets (Non Sports), but I have way more Sets under construction that are not registered and won't be even when complete because there are a couple of individuals with deep deep pockets who will outbid you on E-bay whether they already have the card in their set or not, just to keep you from getting it for your set. Doesn't matter what you bid, could be 10, 20, 50 times what the card is worth, they will bid to keep you from getting it !!!!
    Neil
    Actually Collect Non Sport, but am just so full of myself I post all over the place !!!!!!!
  • Options
    The ONLY reason I use the Registry is to keep track of my collection. I could care less for the competition!
  • Options

<< <i>Good Morning,
    I have an interesting flip side answer to your question. I have a few Registered sets (Non Sports), but I have way more Sets under construction that are not registered and won't be even when complete because there are a couple of individuals with deep deep pockets who will outbid you on E-bay whether they already have the card in their set or not, just to keep you from getting it for your set. Doesn't matter what you bid, could be 10, 20, 50 times what the card is worth, they will bid to keep you from getting it !!!!
    Neil >>

Maybe not good for us when we lose, but good for the market overall to have strong(er) ending prices. The Registry has most definitely increased the value of all of our PSA graded cards by creating more demand for them.

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options

What Wondo said!!
  • Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the registry is a great tool for collectors. It has helped me focus on completing sets instead of having 20 different irons in the fire. I too, am not a competitor. I cant roll with the big guys. Im happy with my modest collection!image
  • Options
    The Junior Seau registry sets went live on Halloween night 2001. I had been collecting graded Seau's since late 1999.

My original reason was to let others out there know what I collect. This way if they had a graded card I needed for my set, they could contact me and let me know it was for sale. There were a lot of Seau's in the population report that were not part of anyones registry sets. I am refering to the "Company" ssets. I figured someone would stumble upon my registry set and see that I needed a PSA Seau they had laying around and would contact me about it. Has yet to happen thus far. I have picked up a few cards from folks who started the Seau master set and would give up shortly thereafter. I have also picked up half a dozen or so cards from members on this board. Some fit the grade some did not. But that is not their fault, image

I add scans of all his cards to the registry. I figure someone sometime will benefit from this. At least if it is as an example of what a particular cards looks like. I scan them for my records anyways, so it is not a big deal to add those scans to the registry.

NathanSr

Successful purchases: Lawnmowerman(2), Wabittwax, mkg809, thePlasticman

Successful sales: xphunk, vjsteele4, onefasttalon, five7teen, yankeeno7

Successful trades: mijang

Generous Souls: MBMiler25, DES1984
  • Options

<< <i>For me it is the organization as a number 1. A close #2 is the competition. I am very passionate about my Packers and my cards. When I lose out on a card I do get pissed. That is the competitive side of me.

And I also like to argue with Steve about cable TV image >>

Troy,

I hope you dont get that pissed if i beat you out on a card. At least we have a good working relationship on ebay and our packer HOF sets.

Jay
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Good Morning,
    Neil >>

Maybe not good for us when we lose, but good for the market overall to have strong(er) ending prices. The Registry has most definitely increased the value of all of our PSA graded cards by creating more demand for them.

Jason >>

I would argue that all that happens is that the cards really become inflated in value. True market econmics wouldnt like the fact that the card is being driven up to inflated prices. When i see that happen i am more than willing to sit on the sidelines and watch. Because eventually if that person wants to sell he wont be able to get what he paid for it.

Lets say for example, there are 5 strong bidders for a certain item...yet maybe there are roughly 8 of that item available to come to the market...what good does it due one person to over pay for multiples of the same item over and over? He has inflated the price and when he goes to sell (since most of those looking for that item know the numbers) in a smart situtation wouldnt bid the prices that he paid for them. We all know that in the card market when you get to certain levels on certain cards only small range of people will be willing to pay the going rate. Thats why I always have a problem listing some of my low pop rare Favre cards...since i am one that would willing to pay for it, my price that i would realize by putting it up for auction would be lower than say if Jason put the same card out there. As you already have taken one of the bidders out of the bidding.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Good Morning,
    Neil >>

Jason >>

I would argue that all that happens is that the cards really become inflated in value. True market econmics wouldnt like the fact that the card is being driven up to inflated prices. When i see that happen i am more than willing to sit on the sidelines and watch. Because eventually if that person wants to sell he wont be able to get what he paid for it.

Lets say for example, there are 5 strong bidders for a certain item...yet maybe there are roughly 8 of that item available to come to the market...what good does it due one person to over pay for multiples of the same item over and over? He has inflated the price and when he goes to sell (since most of those looking for that item know the numbers) in a smart situtation wouldnt bid the prices that he paid for them. We all know that in the card market when you get to certain levels on certain cards only small range of people will be willing to pay the going rate. Thats why I always have a problem listing some of my low pop rare Favre cards...since i am one that would willing to pay for it, my price that i would realize by putting it up for auction would be lower than say if Jason put the same card out there. As you already have taken one of the bidders out of the bidding. >>

I guess it all depends on what you are collecting and how big that market is..For football HOF rookies, the market size is constantly growing..75+ sets registred, plus many others collecting who aren't on the Registry..Not to mention, most of the cards already sell for a premium because these are typically star players..So even the regular 1957 Topps set collectors go hard and heavy after the top rookie in the set.

Even now, if you compare the vintage football rookies vs. vintage baseball rookies, football is still extremly undervalued. And in most cases, the baseball rookies are even higher population. So, its all about what you collect and how the segment of the market is growing.

What you have describe is almost exactly the way I see the modern card market...There is just so much UNgraded still out there, the pops are going to keep rising..And if the people actively searching for the card doesn't rise with it, of course the price will drop. On the older cards where say one maybe 2 new ones have been graded in the past year or so, the supply doesn't keep up with demand.

Jason
  • Options
    Jason,

Say you collect either player sets (looking for oddball cards) or maybe some of the non-sports sets or other lower demand sets. The FB HOF set was not what I had in mind.

Jay
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    markmacmarkmac Posts: 412 ✭✭✭
    You can buy graded cards much cheaper than raw and in better condition for the price. I am putting together a 1970 Basketball set and I never would find cards that were nrmt-mt condition for fair prices. I can buy 7's for $5-$10 each and PSA 7 stars for $10- $15 each. I could never get cards in this condition that cheap raw. The same goes for 8's. I can't remember the last card show I went to where there were gradeable 1970's for sale.
  • Options
    BuccaneerBuccaneer Posts: 1,794 ✭✭
    Used to have 4-5 registered sets, including 57, 61AS and 63, but no more. It's not worth it for it becomes a slab chase of buying the holder and not the card. At one time I had thought about the inventory, competition and the pursuit but those took the fun out of building sets. Besides, I have a database that can inventory my cards better than the Registry. I am very happy that I discovered a better way of building sets, which I know RonBurgundy can agree.
  • Options
    It's really whatever floats your individual boat isn't it? Collecting raw and using your own database might be the "better way" for you and that's great. Graded cards and the Registry might be "better" for me..It's a hobby, it's something to be enjoyed...As long as you are happy doing what you are doing, then stick with that.

Personally, I'm not a fan of raw collecting. Simply because it's too hard to find top notch raw for what I collect online. I also don't collect commons. Every card I own is a rookie, and every one is of a star player. So, for the most part, we aren't talking $2-$3 cards...I'd rather pay $300 for a high quality PSA 9 rather than pay $30 for a "Mint" raw card that ends up being NM when I get it in my hand...I used to collect raw before PSA came into the picture...With PSA, in my experience, I can find MUCH more accurately graded high end cards in PSA holders than I can raw. Again, not talking 80s-90s stuff, but the older 40s-50s stuff...

PSA isn't perfect, but I trust them more than your average raw card dealer who overgrades everything by one or two grades..Especially the vintage stuff...

Just my opinion of course, and the reason I collect only graded. To each his own, and if someone out there has a method of finding truly MINT raw cards then more power to them!

Jason
  • Options
    BuccaneerBuccaneer Posts: 1,794 ✭✭
    It truly was meant to be a personal perspective. I recall when I first came here in 2003, I questioned the purpose of building registered sets, but I didn't understand it. When I did, it was easy to get caught up in it, until I said 'no more, it's not worth it'. I can now work on building 8 sets at the same time whereas previously, I could only work on 1. That's a good trade-off for me. (By the way, I still only buy the major star cards graded.)
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ron

I was encouraged by a fellow board member when I started collecting - getting graded - my T3 set.

I like the fact that I have a nice place to view them and keep track with total ease - and that's why I added my 63F BB set.

For me - ANY reason is a good one - and there's no wrong reason for using the registry IMO.

Some really like the competition and that's OK with me - after all one of the reasons some collect is to be able to share with others - there's nothing wrong with a little showing off every now and again?

Good luck if you decide to participate.
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Good day,
    I hear what everybody has said on this thread and agree with most of it. And sometimes trying to corealate a situation in the Non Sport World does not cross over the same into the Sports world. The main person who I am refering to in the Non Sport World who will win a Card that somebody else needs for their set just to keep them from getting it, is a Commodities Broker, so he understands how markets work. But in actuality even though the end outcome of him owning say all three highest Graded PSA 8 NM-MT cards of a specific number from a specific set from the 1960's is that nobody else can be above him in the Registry. It is about competitiveness and nothing to do with putting himself in the Market situation of owning all of something and being able to set the Market price, because up until this point very little he has ever bought has found its way back to the Market. This person also has dozens and dozens of Registered sets but they are closed so you can't see what they are made of.
    So in defense, and to be able to finish certain sets that I am working on or if I want to upgrade something in my sets at some time in the future I don't Register them.

Neilimage
    Actually Collect Non Sport, but am just so full of myself I post all over the place !!!!!!!
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Yeah that guy has been a thorn in my side as well.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Great comments so far! I was thinking about plopping a '75 set on the registry until my latest submission got butchered today.

Ron
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    Heck I just love the competition and the player I'm collecting...