Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

New edition of Yeoman's "Brown Book"

Whitman Publishes 14th Edition of
A Catalog of Modern World Coins, 1850–1964

(Atlanta, Georgia)—Whitman Publishing announces the release of the 14th edition of A Catalog of Modern World Coins, 1850–1964, known to generations of collectors as the “Brown Book.” The new edition is available online, and from hobby shops and bookstores nationwide.

A Catalog of Modern World Coins builds on the classic text by R.S. Yeoman, father of the best-selling Guide Book of United States Coins (known to collectors as the “Red Book”).

The 14th edition has been updated with new photographs and retail valuations by coin type, in up to four grade levels. Editor Arthur Friedberg and his team of experts from around the globe provide an accurate snapshot of the exciting world-coin market.

“This handy volume is perfect for today’s world-coin collector,” says Whitman publisher Dennis Tucker, describing the book as “small enough to easily hold, carry, and read, but packed with photos, data, and valuations.”

Who Should Read A Catalog of Modern World Coins?

• Collectors looking for an accurate book on world coins
• New hobbyists attracted to coins by the recent hot market
• Dealers looking for a convenient type-coin guide
• “OFEC” (One From Every Country) coin collectors
• U.S. coin collectors looking to branch out into an interesting new field
• Token and medal collectors intrigued by the connection to world coinage
• Casual collectors and travelers with unidentified coins from other countries

What Will Readers Find Inside?

• A complete listing of coins of all countries from 1850 to the mid-1960s
• Each type and date of coin grouped in chronological order
• High-quality images in actual size, for quick identification
• Retail values for circulated, Uncirculated, and Proof coins
• Individual listings of rare and significant dates, with valuations
• Bullion-value charts for all gold and silver coins
• The official Y-number catalog system used to identify all world coin types

“It is a tribute to R.S. Yeoman that this book is now in its 14th edition, more than 50 years after it was first published. . . . The true encyclopedia of the field for many years to come.”
—from the preface by David L. Ganz, past president, American Numismatic Association

# # #

544 pages • Softcover • 6 x 9 format • Retail $19.95

Comments

• WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still have my 1966 and 1967 editions of Yeoman along with Craig, a similar book for 1750-1850.
    I used them by circling the coins I had.
    https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    A while back someone was selling older editions of these books on the BST for relatively cheap prices ($5-10). I picked up a 1st edition Yeoman (1957), along with the Craig book, and a 2nd printing of David Bowers' "Coins and Collectors".

Granted, the Krause catalogs probably make the Yeoman and Craig books obsolete, but they're neat pieces of history.
  • I'm brand new to world coin collecting. I checked out some of the world catalogs at the bookstore yesterday. I like the compact size and readability of the new Yeoman/s catalog, but I notice that the Krause's list more information: more grades and mintages. In the Yeoman, the second column in the coin listings is 'KM', does that stand for 'Krause Manual'. Also, where can I find world coins listed with these Yeoman numbers? Thanks for explaining to a newby

• << <i>In the Yeoman, the second column in the coin listings is 'KM', does that stand for 'Krause Manual'. Also, where can I find world coins listed with these Yeoman numbers? Thanks for explaining to a newby >>

Actually there is sort of a round robin involved.

"KM" numbers are numbers assigned by Krause. But Krause uses "Y" numbers, originally assigned by Yeoman, for many countries whose coins have Yeoman numbers. Both Krause and Yeoman sometimes use "C" numbers as well, drawing on the designations initially made by Craig.
    Roy

• sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    I never knew where the K, Y, and C numbers came from. Learn something new everyday.
  • KM = "Krause/Mishler"

Since I've been totally exonumistic for about the last 15 years I haven;t used K/M, so I can't really say whether Clifford Mishler is still associated with the KM catalogs...anyone?

Best to all ~
    Tom
    I never pay too much for my tokens...but every now and then I may buy them too soon.

Proud (but humbled) "You Suck" Designee, February 2010.
  • << In the Yeoman, the second column in the coin listings is 'KM', does that stand for 'Krause Manual'. Also, where can I find world coins listed with these Yeoman numbers? Thanks for explaining to a newby >>

Actually there is sort of a round robin involved.

"KM" numbers are numbers assigned by Krause. But Krause uses "Y" numbers, originally assigned by Yeoman, for many countries whose coins have Yeoman numbers. Both Krause and Yeoman sometimes use "C" numbers as well, drawing on the designations initially made by Craig.

OK, I'm thoroughly confused. I'm not very bright, but hopefully if I study all three books, I'll recognize what your talking about. My other (unanswered) question is: who uses these coin, identification numbers? The big auction houses? Not that I would buy raw coins there, but I don't see people listing coins on Ebay with these ID numbers.
  • goossengoossen Posts: 492 ✭✭
    sturmgrenadier:

KM numbers are very useful for collectors...
    This is my situation, I collect world coins by type and I have all my coins listed by KM #, when other collector sends me his/her list to swap (with KM #s) I check only the KM #, e.g.: I have KM #34, #35 and #37 from Ireland, but not KM #36, then I select that coin.
    That way I don't have to check the type according to the year, only the KM #.

Also there may be more than one KM # (type) for one year... e.g.: I have these coins, Peru 1 Centimo 2005 KM #303.4 and KM #303.5

My coins with pictures: http://www.paraguaycoins.com/

• << <i>OK, I'm thoroughly confused. >>

Just look at it this way - when a new catalog of coins is published, the editor normally assigns ID numbers to each different type of coin listed. Some of those numbering systems become standards, commonly used by most people. Frequently when one cataloger has assigned numbers to a specific series of coins, later catalogers will use those same numbers with appropriate credit.

An elite few, like KM - Krause/Mishler, Y - Yeoman, & C - Craig, become so popular that coins are referred to simply by the appropriate initial and number. The others are referenced by the full name of the cataloger and his (I'm not aware of any major catalog compiled by a woman) assigned number. For instance, Spadone S25 would identify an 1873-1906 10 sen Japanese silver coin ID'd by JG Spadone in his 1960 Catalog of Modern Japanese, Korean, Manchukuo Coins; Schon Czechoslovakia 45 would identify the Czech 50 korun silver coin ID'd by European cataloger Günter Schön in his German language catalog (published in English as The Simon & Schuster World Coin Catalogue); and so on.

Specialty catalogers, such as Leroy Van Allen and A. George Mallis also assign numbers - in their case VAMs for the different die combinations of Morgan and Peace dollars, in The Complete Catalog and Encyclopedia of United States Morgan and Peace Silver Dollars.

There are probably hundreds of other numbering series in use by numismatists around the world.

<< <i>I don't see people listing coins on Ebay with these ID numbers. >>

As a matter of fact, many world coin listings do mention the catalog numbers, almost always KM or Y, but I have seen folks use C numbers as well. In currency auctions, mention of the Pick number (assigned in the Krause Currency catalogs edited by Albert Pick) is very common.
    Roy