Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Presidential Dollar Varieties --- Frustration

Is there anybody else that is getting frustrated at the number of varieties that are currently listed for the Presidential Dollar Registry Sets?
Not only the sheer number of varieties but also the costs associated with them?

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!

Comments

• Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    YES!

I have in front of me a John Adams dollar 2007-D Pos. B that I sent in and it has 1 extra letter inverted right in front of "In God We Trust" (Its the letter "T") and PCGS said NO, that it is not an error or extra letter!

I showed this to my 71 year old mother who hates coins and has bad eyes and she sees it.

Hey thats all right, I have a $7 coin that cost me $62.35 to get graded.

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    eCoinquesteCoinquest Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭
    Paul, I understand. When I sent my Cheerios Sac to PCGS I expected it to grade up from 67 to MS68 but after a $200 grading fee and three weeks, my coin came home in a new MS67 case.
    So I really paid $200 for a new slab.image
  • Options
    SilverstateSilverstate Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭
    The fact is that there are "Approved" varieties and there are a lot of them.

I've seen ANACS grade "Overlapped" Lettering Presidential Dollars
    and
    NGC has graded "Mis-Spaced Lettering"

PCGS has not decided yet on these.

I believe PCGS is reluctant to add new varieties because pandoras box is opened just a little and we have over 50 coin 2007 Presidential sets.
    Each new variety get its own coin number and voila, the complete set grows again.

Edge lettering is not being eliminated so, this series is set up to have a lot of varieties.

The good news is that the Basic sets are easy, and the Major set is also a good alternative to the "Mondo Set"

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭
    Well I've got a fairly decent start on the Varieties setsbut I just don' know how much longer I can survive! MS65 ADAMS Double and Inverted Edge lettering for FDI slabs are ultra expensive for a modern coin and the MS66 counterparts are rediculously priced. Of course since these are offered on Teletrade and they never seem to actually sell, its difficult to get a reasonable handle on how much they really do cost!

2008 promises to be yet another expensive year in the variety arena simply because they still haven't gotten it right in Philadelphia! There is a missing edge lettering Madison that NGC graded and who knows how many more are out there? The new Philadelphia Monroe's on the quarter planchets are yet another twist to a common theme such as, exactly haw many different ways can the US Mint continue to screw these things up?

I guess I just never expected it to get so danged expensive so soon on.............................
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Personally I feel the A/B positions should be the only varieties, everything else is an error no matter how many are made. I will probably collect 5 of each pres once I get into them BS A, BS B, Satin A, Satin B, and Proof, though I may skip the business strikes as the Dansco's others are putting together look nice with the satins and proofs.
  • Options
    The Major Variety set is smaller, only contains the A&B of the business strike and the satins, so that 4 of each president plus the Missing Edge Letteing and the Adams Doubled Edge lettering (Overlapped and Inverted).

PCGS does have so many registry sets from very basic sets to the mondo complete sets.

It's pick your poison out there. image
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's totally insane....and I don't collect any of them.
  • Options
    KaelasdadKaelasdad Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭
    To be honest, if the President coins did not have any errors, they would be boring to me. PD AB on and on....boring.

I can persoinally attest to the thrill of finding an error coin in a roll--it is so cool. A missing edge--wow! A doubled edge--double wow! Now the weak edges and partial edges--nice but not as rocking as the major errors, but still not bad. The mis spacing on coins looks pretty cool in advanced mis spacing, and when the mint mark catches up to the E of E Pluribus and covers it--its pretty cool.

So, yes, if you want to collect the standard coins, they are out there and easy, but find the error coins, and then go after them in either high grades or the creme de la creme, the First day Issue labels--now thats a chase and its a blast.

I call the FDI coins the creme--because those have to be found by PCGS--not by you--its a risk, a chance, and the minute you hear that you got a FDI label on an error coin, its so cool--as that coin will be available to be added to EVERY variety set ( some major, some complete)

Oh, and I started on Sacagaweas, and I found chasing VIPs, Goodacgres, Milleniums and Experimental Rinse coins to be just as much fun. Just grabbing a standard P or D mint Sac for a set was...uneventful. I mean come on, I need a standard coin--I can buy it from the mint, a bank, a dealer, whatever--its easy, its out there, and all it takes is a little cash. Big whoop. But try to find a partial edge Washington, or a missing edge madison--might take you years--but when you found it and knew you had something truly special--now that makes a collection something to be proud of.

JMHO, Russ
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let me clue you folks in about coin collectors. there are those who collect the basic strikes and maybe a few distinguished varieties, and those who collect EVERYTHING. The difference to me is not Money, just personal interest. You will find none of the money folks getting into all these varieties regardless of the series for two reasons. One, most of these folks never "made" a coin. Second, those coins currently being "made" are NOT for sale. They are going into the collections of those who submitted them. So even if you wanted to collect the varieties..you simply can not jump into them, you will have to wait until an after market of dups is available. Bad news for those high end collectors. Good news for those of us tired of seeing the same # 1 sets year after year. Now thats Boring.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    I have found these varieties myself many different ways, and I can tell you I have missing edges, double edges,partial edges,weak edges--all PCGS graded and some in FDI holders and some in regular holders. All anyone who wants a variety needs to do is ask me for them. I have some wth pop 4 up to pop 500 available. My prces are usually so good dealers come to me so they can sell to others. I colect them because they are s varied and great to compare, but also have been fortunate enough to find more than 1 or 2 so i can sell or even trade off some of my others.
  • Options
    I have found most errors available on this series. I have seen most offered on eBay.
    Some want to play with errors, others have no interest.

I like them personally. This set is not boring and you are not going to get a complete set overnight.

Basic sets can be had with one purchase, so whatever floats your boat.

If and when the edge lettering moves off the edge, then the set will slow way down.

No A & B positions.....Just one from each mint.

Until then, just ride the wave and enjoy them.

I still want a Jefferson MEL (Missing Edge Lettering) Dollar, but prices have been crazy high for the high pops.
    So, If anyone has one to sell at REAL prices, then email or PM me with info.
  • Options
    cost me $62.35 to get graded

after a $200 grading fee and three weeks

I am glad I buy mine for face at the bank, and spend them at drive-throughs
  • Options

<< <i>YES!

I have in front of me a John Adams dollar 2007-D Pos. B that I sent in and it has 1 extra letter inverted right in front of "In God We Trust" (Its the letter "T") and PCGS said NO, that it is not an error or extra letter!

I showed this to my 71 year old mother who hates coins and has bad eyes and she sees it.

Hey thats all right, I have a $7 coin that cost me $62.35 to get graded.

Later, Paul. >>

Paul,

I feel your pain.

However, If you find a new variety in any coin series that has not been graded as such in previous years...You need to send the coin in for review or make contact with someone at PCGS BEFORE just submitting the coin.

Otherwise, your hard earned money goes into the abyss and you'll get the coin back with nothing changed except the amount remaining in your wallet.

If you sent a roosie in with something different about it, my advice would be the same.

I have seen the coins you are talking about with extra letters on the edges. At this point I have not heard of any of the TPG's grading these as a variety.
  • Options
    DrizztDrizzt Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭
    I got frustrated 6 months ago. I just wanted a set of MS65 or 66 pres dollars. Didn't want to have to deal with all the varieties. Same reason I don't collect VAM's, or halves by Overton...etc....

I guess I'll just catch up on my Sac's while everyone else is on the new pres dollars..image
  • Options

<< <i>I have seen the coins you are talking about with extra letters on the edges. At this point I have not heard of any of the TPG's grading these as a variety. >>

I doubt that these would ever be considered a variety since the extra letters are usually the result of a hard hit against the edge of another coin which causes a "raised" letter to appear on the edge instead of the "incused' lettering. I've seen some of these and even reported a few when the Washington's came out but there just isn;t any interest due to the "way" that the letter comes about.

My big concern is the cost over the FDI variety coins! I mean, some of these cost more than MS66 IKE's and I often wonder if I'm doing the right thing by accumulating these? I enjoy the thrill of the hunt but the hunting license can get quite expensive.

As for the missing edge lettering and double overlapped inverted edges, these may be a thing of the past as from what I understand the Mint has modified the production line so that once the Obv and Rev are minted the coins go directly into the edge lettering process. No more dumping into bins for edge lettering, and possible errors, at a later time.

I guess once the Monroe's get distributed and enough with enough folks looking at them, we'll know in about 2 or 3 weeks. My big concern right now is in even obtaining any Denver coins for FDI submissions as all the banks in my area don't have any and don't even know if they'll be getting any!
    (Reminds me of my youth! image )

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Lee,

This is just like living on the wrong side of the block.
    As you have noticed most of the errors seem to be coming out of Philly and all of us west coasters are in the hunt with nothing in sight!

So, we have to order cases, rolls or bags at a premium to get a shot at finding anything from P mint stock..and we get them LATER than everyone else!

For some reason Denver doesn't have the issues that the Philly mint does on these Presidential Dollars, at least not as many errors.

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I lost interest in FDI when PCGS changed the guidance.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>I lost interest in FDI when PCGS changed the guidance.

Steve >>

Steve,
    Why the lack of interest in FDI?
    If an unopened box is submitted, it should mean more possible coins for the registries.

So, who cares If the boxes shows up unopened a year later.

Maybe I am missing something.

The FDI coins are harder to make, because it costs a lot on grading or you have to submit quickly on day one to make it.
  • Options

<< <i>I lost interest in FDI when PCGS changed the guidance.

Steve >>

I can understand this as I ended up with a bunch of Washingtons that needed to get reholdered at $10 a pop. But, I didn't lose interest in the FDI's.

I have been doing the "chicken with its head cutoff" thing on every release day. The big drawback for me is the cost thing since MS67's run $30 each! That is up significantly from the Washingtons where I think it was like $15 each. Until, of course, they started selling for over a grand!

Now, since the US Mint seems to have gotten their act together, PCGS will make an absolute windfall as the number of 67's being graded is sure to triple over what was occuring in the past. Given that, I don;t expect the resale price of the coins to follow suit as there will be way too many of them. So unless PCGS does some adjustments, it will be too expensive for me to continue. I mean, why get them graded at MS67 for $30 if you can only sell them for $20 or even $10?

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    GrivGriv Posts: 2,804

<< <i>Paul, I understand. When I sent my Cheerios Sac to PCGS I expected it to grade up from 67 to MS68 but after a $200 grading fee and three weeks, my coin came home in a new MS67 case.
    So I really paid $200 for a new slab.image >>

$200??? How in the hell did you manage that?
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    While difficult and financially troubling, it is one of the few modern challenges. It's a set that does not have to built now, you can buy bricks till you are blue in the face trying to find them yourself. You just might not win any prizes in the registry set.
  • Options
    GrivGriv Posts: 2,804

<< <i>I am glad I buy mine for face at the bank, and spend them at drive-throughs >>

I hear you there. They work perfect for that. The only problem is I'm not sure I can eat enough fast food to keep up.
  • Options
    Well it looks like there may be some First Day of Issue Weak Edge Lettering Monroe's coming down the pike and in relativly high grades.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Lee,

Where are the Weak Edge Monroe's?
  • Options
    I submitted some for FDI but they may not go through since I sent them on a separate submission form with a grade of ANY which conflicts with the MS66 for the other 100.

Although I haven't personally seen any, I'm fairly confident that some will show up within the next couple of weeks. Especially with the amount I had. (19 coins)

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Lee,

Some trading might be in the air If you land some.
    I always like trades...

Oh, Did you submit P or D mint coins?
  • Options
    Of course I'm open to that but lookie what I just found out:

2 coins have been added to the Registry:

2007-D James Madison - First Day of Issue, Position A Weak Edge Lettering 393826 Population = MS65/2 MS66/4
    2007-D James Madison - First Day of Issue, Position B Weak Edge Lettering 393827 Population = MS65/3 MS66/8

in addition to (and two of these will be impossible):

2007-D Thomas Jefferson - First Day of Issue, Position A Partial Edge Lettering 390121 Population = MS66/1
    2007-D Thomas Jefferson - First Day of Issue, Position A Weak Edge Lettering 392760 Population = MS65/18 MS66/21

2007-D Thomas Jefferson - First Day of Issue, Position B Partial Edge Lettering 390122 Population = MS67/1
    2007-D Thomas Jefferson - First Day of Issue, Position B Weak Edge Lettering 392759 Population = MS65/19 MS66/13 MS67/2

PCGS must be expecting more 2007-D Partial Edge Lettering as I thought that having only a population of 1 would preclude a coin from being in the registry?

Anybody care to offer some insights?

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those partials are the clipped edge coins. At the moment, I am told they are not accepted in the registry. If that turns out to be the case, they need to be taken off the registry.

Wondercoin

P.S. Since there is no longer a "rule of 5" in effect, a pop of 1 would be fine for the registry.
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options

<< <i>Those partials are the clipped edge coins. At the moment, I am told they are not accepted in the registry. If that turns out to be the case, they need to be taken off the registry.

Wondercoin

P.S. Since there is no longer a "rule of 5" in effect, a pop of 1 would be fine for the registry. >>

They are in the registry Mitch as that ios where I got the coin numbers to look them up.

Coins that only have a total population of 1 should not be allowed in the registry IMO. Heck, PCGS will not even allow First Strike™ coins prior to 2005 (even though they exist in great quantities) into the SIlver Eagle First Strike™ registry so my frustration continues to grow................

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    They still need to add the 2007 P James Madison Position A Weak Edge Lettering 394421 MS65/5 MS66/3

I have them sitting here on my desk so I know they exist.