Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Oops...1765 Corsica 4 soldi - backwards 4

I got this 1765 4 soldi from Corsica today...take a look at the 4. I wonder if all of them are like this or if this was a mistake that was corrected on other dies? (Those are swords, by the way)

"Have a nice day!"

Comments

• harashaharasha Posts: 3,092 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you should edit the title of this post. The coin fascinates me and I would like to see some comments from the membership. "Oops" doesn't do it.

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • This is one funny coin image I have never seen this type before so I'm afraid I can't answer your question.

The guy in the portrait looks kind of African, doesn't he?

Marcel
    Ebay user name: 00MadMuffin00
  • SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,165 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The guy in the portrait looks kind of African, doesn't he? >>

He is. A "moor's head" is the traditional badge of Corsica, and still appears on the flag of the territory.

There's nothing in Krause about a "backwards 4" variety, but they're not all like that; the illustration for this type in Krause (listed as KM/C# 7) is the same date (1765) and has a "normal 4".
    Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Look's to me like you got yourself a possible rare one there...... Nothing like finding a new variety....... There is every possibility you might even get a "You Suck" award for this coin.........Congrat's.....image
    " I just checked in , Just to see what condition, My condition was in." Kenny Rogers and the 1st. Edition......
  • BlackhawkBlackhawk Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭
    Here is a link that refers to the minting of two varieties for the year...link.
    "Have a nice day!"
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,467 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe it's just something about the numeral 4. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.