Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Poll: If Collectors Universe opened an auction board for the disgruntled Ebay Sellers, would you par

I believe that Ebay’s recently announced changes, along with the inherent problems they already created over the past year has opened an opportunity for an established organization to step in.

If Collectors Universe were to develop and auction section for Collectables they already serve would you participate as a buyer, seller or both?

I would hope that a new collectables Auction site could be established and I believe Collectors Universe would be the credible choice.

What is your opinion?
On BS&T Now: Nothing.
Fighting the Fight for 11 Years with the big "C" - Never Ever Give Up!
Member PCGS Open Forum board 2002 - 2006 (closed end of 2006) Current board since 2006 Successful trades with many members, over the past two decades, never a bad deal.

Comments

• Options
    Conflict of interest anyone?
    My baseball and MMA articles-
    http://sportsfansnews.com/author/andy-fischer/

imagey
  • Options
    TexastTexast Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Conflict of interest anyone? >>

How would this be a conflict of interest??
    On BS&T Now: Nothing.
    Fighting the Fight for 11 Years with the big "C" - Never Ever Give Up!
    Member PCGS Open Forum board 2002 - 2006 (closed end of 2006) Current board since 2006 Successful trades with many members, over the past two decades, never a bad deal.
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Sellers would sell anywhere they could make the most money and buyers would buy anywhere they get the best deals.
  • Options
    metalmikemetalmike Posts: 2,152 ✭✭
    Cu already has a BST forum and as long as you don't try to be like scary gary and try to pull a fast one there is no need for an auction unless you are greedy which 99.9% of the people here are not! Case in point last year I asked for some extra B ball cards from the guys (and Tonya) that my sister could use to motivate the kids to work harder. Most of these kids have never seen a trading card let alone opened a pack or owned an auto or game used card. One kid who went from D's to B's got a game used card of his favorite Cav, and he cried. That common was priceless to him. One kid got a Jordan and he gave it to his Dad- "Merry Christmas Dad I know it's not a lot but"..............DRUMKimage
    USN 1977-1987 * ALL cards are commons unless auto'd. Buying Britneycards. NWO for life.
  • Options
    metalmikemetalmike Posts: 2,152 ✭✭
    What is kind of ironic in my opinion is Ebay and other internet options seem to be a bad option for low key sellers. For example a 1993 Topps factory set which has the Jeter rookie is an easy sell at the Flea market but good luck trying to make your money back selling it on Ebay. A lot of people here hate PWE but if I sell you a 2 buck card for a dollar and charge a buck shipping which includes penny sleeve toploader team bag, why complain? Mike
    USN 1977-1987 * ALL cards are commons unless auto'd. Buying Britneycards. NWO for life.
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    I guess I will at least try the BST or Vintage trading forum first,
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    I did not vote.

The BST seems to work fine for the folks here.

CLCT is not set up to create an alternative to EBAY.
    It can/does provide a nice little buy/sell community,
    which does not need to be changed or expanded.

As long as there are sellers on EBAY, there will be
    buyers. If the sellers ever left - they will not - the
    buyers would follow those sellers.

EBAY sellers are always "disgruntled." Those who
    have not experienced all of the previous revolts
    may think "it's different this time;" it's NOT.

Edited: I voted buy/sell. So I could view the results. image
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    If Im not mistaken, they had an auction site awhile ago.
    I'm almost positive it was CU or something close to it.
    It was a GREAT place to pick up bargains since it had no traffic
  • Options

<< <i>If Im not mistaken, they had an auction site awhile ago.
    I'm almost positive it was CU or something close to it.
    It was a GREAT place to pick up bargains since it had no traffic >>

yup SUPERIOR AUCTIONS, I also got great deals on the late 90's until a few years ago
    Looking for in PSA graded
    1. 75-76 Topps Keith/Jamaal Wilkes in Psa 8+
    2. 1971-72 Trio stickers PSA 8+
    3. BSKB 1977-78 topps psa 10

Basketball Autos
    1992 Courtside Flashback
    Action Packed HOF Autos(need elvin hayes,both bill bradley,and the 1st bill walton)
    2001 and 2005 Greats of the Game
    UD=retro,epic,legends,legendary,generations and chronology
    2006 Topps Style 1952 Fan Favorites Autos #/10 (Refractor Autos)
    Press Pass Legends
  • Options
    I agree with Storm. Every year Ebay raises its rates and changes their policies. This will be no different. 90% of those who say they are leaving will be back in 6 months. Those who don't come back proably had no business being on Ebay in the first place.

The new feedback policy is going to hurt the sellers who scalp on S/H and are slow shippers the most. If you do what most sellers normaly do you may run into the occasional baddie, but for the most part there will be no issues.
  • Options
    Good Morning,
    CU isn't in the same league as E-bay. I've watched a few of the alternate auction sites come and go. Anybody else been around long enough to remember Amazon's Auctions? Or Yahoo's, Or many others?
    The only company with the Conojes and Deep enough pockets to do the Start-up right now is Google!!
    If it was only so, but then, as with everything we would be complaining about them. Although competition is never wrong in a Free Mkt.
    Neil
    Actually Collect Non Sport, but am just so full of myself I post all over the place !!!!!!!
  • Options
    Good idea, but not really in theory. For buyers and sellers, there is no wider audience than ebay. Also, prices realized would go down for the simple fact that you'd be in a "specialized" and smaller forum where 99% of the people would know exact values, where on ebay, with the mass amounts of people who buy and sell, you have the chance on both sides to get someone that maybe doesn't know the value of what they are buying or selling, or more than one person that wants an item (which is how you realize higher prices most of the time). Ebay knows exactly how many people buy and sell on their site, and that is why they have no problem adjusting fees and whatnot, the small amount of people that would boycott, is nothing to them.
    "I've never been able to properly explain myself in this climate" -Raul Duke

ebay i.d. clydecoolidge - Lots of vintage stars and HOFers, raw, condition fully disclosed.
  • Options
    EBAY sellers are always "disgruntled." Those who
    have not experienced all of the previous revolts
    may think "it's different this time;" it's NOT.

the only thing that i could think of is a song:

The change had to come and we knew it along. a new revolution.
    Meet the new boss same as the old boss
    get on my knees and pray we don't get fooled again.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,525 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I voted for "Im not sure" I have had very good ebay experience.
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    No, but I would support a forum where people could post "real" feedback on buyers and sellers.

Ron
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    im in!!
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    fur72fur72 Posts: 2,348 ✭✭
    I really dont like the idea. This community is pretty tight and we help each other out with expecially with modren releases. I would hate to put a price tag on something in lieu of a trade.
  • Options

<< <i>No, but I would support a forum where people could post "real" feedback on buyers and sellers.

Ron >>

http://ebaysellersunited.webs.com/reportabadbuyer.htm

There will be MANY better ones in a few weeks.
  • Options
    DEFINATELY NOT!

Third Party Graders/Authenticators have NO BUSINESS being involved in ANY, Auctions,Buying, selling, etc..
    IT IS a Conflict of interest. THEY should NOT even be involved in any Pricing or guides as well as far as I am concerned. {SMR} The whole point in EVEN having these Third party Graders/Authenticators is for a independant, unbias, evaluation and Grade for an item. THATS IT.

CONFLICT OF INTEREST!
    CONFLICT OF INTEREST!
  • Options
    "THEY should NOT even be involved in any Pricing or guides as well as far as I am concerned. {SMR} "

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Market-making is TOTALLY different than market-tracking.

There are some circumstances that would make it acceptable
    for PSA to sell its own cards. They should not take payments
    for selling third-party individuals' cards.

• Options
    I would like to see them better handle their core business (Card Submissions) before branching into auctions which they have no background. The PSA website is not the most state of the art, so I wouldn't hold out too much hope for a decent auction site.