Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Proof coin photography help needed! BALD EAGLE

ok....how do I get all the reflections from the camera out of the fields of proof coinage...and still keep the coin in the same plane as the camera.

I tried all kinds of lighty techniques....I am noobie at photography...

Comments

• Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try putting a coin underneath it and tilt it a little, sometimes that helps.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    My method for cameo'd coins:

Example:

(c) Daniel Hatter image
    aka Dan
  • Options
    neat idea.....

by the way...I see you have a coin mouse pad.....I do too......had mine custom made using a photo of my 1859-S $20 Liberty Gold....one of my favorite coins in my collection.

• Options
    DJCoinzDJCoinz Posts: 3,856

<< <i>neat idea.....

by the way...I see you have a coin mouse pad.....I do too......had mine custom made using a photo of my 1859-S $20 Liberty Gold....one of my favorite coins in my collection. >>

Yep. image Had mine made a few years ago from a really nicely toned 1900 morgan dollar.

edited for spelling
    aka Dan
  • Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tilt it a little and be sure to wear black, or even better hold a black shirt up, and get your face and hands out of the way too.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    DieClashDieClash Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭
    Go http://browncopper.com/ and learn some tips from Mark Goodman first.

The best advice that I received about imaging shiny objects is to do it in ambient light, especially dark ambient light with a higher aperture and longer exposure. As Mark advised me, motion will become an issue at these settings but it will result in the sharpest images.

Good Luck!
    "Please help us keep these boards professional and informative…. And fun." - DW
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BONGO HURTLES ALONG THE RAIN SODDEN HIGHWAY OF LIFE ON UNDERINFLATED BALD RETREAD TIRES
  • Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Highest f-stop possible, long shutter speeds = high depth of field. Tripod a must. Tilt coin, use enough (but minimal) lens to create distance to prevent direct reflect. Desaturate the color (software) will drive out the undesirable green cast. Much experimentation with angles. Very fine/small clean paintbrush or compressed air to remove felt/debris, and you have it!

Proof silver is REALLY hard to capture clean. It's the most reflective metal! Good luck.
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Per above --

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    MesquiteMesquite Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭
    Read, practice, practice, practice. Clarkbar04 - looking very good!
    There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.
    –John Adams, 1826
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    All good advice. You can try the lamp shade also. surround the coin put the light through the shade and take the photo from above. Milk jug cut up might work too.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for your tips and suggestions...the photos I took above were quickies.....will reshoot this weekend.

I do have a copystand....and can do disfused lighting...however my crummy camera cannot do variable shutter speeds and f-stops.

I do believe the "practice, practice, practice" is the best course.

Again...thanks everyone!

RAH
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭

<< <i>Per above --

image >>

nice!

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    I use the cut up gallon milk jug with great results....
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I cut out a hole in a piece of black cardboard stock paper (my wife's creative memories paper) and slip the telescopic lense through it. It covers up the entire camera and my little fingers!

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,866 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great idea Jesse, super pics!!!!! image

Can't remember seeing any better pics of the Jamestown Silver Proofs !!!!!!!

JapanJohn watch out!!!! image
  • Options
    >>>>>I cut out a hole in a piece of black cardboard stock paper (my wife's creative memories paper) and slip the telescopic lense through it. It covers up the entire camera and my little fingers!<<<<

yup......going to give this a try in my next photo session......milk jug too......been meaning to try that for ages.....never think about it until I am home...live alone...and drink no milk....so will have to raid the neighbor's recyle bin!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file