Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Korea War Memorial...Modern Commemorative.

Anybody else like this modern commemorative issue?

Evidently not as I picked this one up basically at meltimage.

imageimage
Collector of Early 20th Century U.S. Coinage.
ANA Member R-3147111

Comments

• Options
    I like them as well and do collect them, but a lousy investment.
  • Options
    GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭
    I like the map part, especially. I just noticed that it's a "Thirty-eighth" anniversary. That seems very odd, doesn't it? Is there a special story on that?
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • Options
    i dont have one yet, but i like them very much.
  • Options

<< <i>I like the map part, especially. I just noticed that it's a "Thirty-eighth" anniversary. That seems very odd, doesn't it? Is there a special story on that? >>

I thought the same thing at first. I believe that the 38th parallel is the line of demarcation separating North and South Korea. Still a strange date of commemoration.

imageimage
    ANA Member R-3147111
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had originally thought that the 38th anniversary aspect of this was a reflection of the 38th parallel, but later read that the anniversary was dictated by the timetable of expiration of the legislation authorizing this coin.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options

<< <i>i dont have one yet, but i like them very much. >>

They won't be worth anything for 50 years...but then lookoutimage!!! I'm tellin' ya these things have long-term potential, the only thing is long-term is VERY long term.

imageimage
    ANA Member R-3147111
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Korean coin collector is a growing base. Can't go wrong at melt. I own a 1970 1000 won and paid some discount from Krause and am holding it.
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TomB is right. My recollection from when the coin was issued is that some group needed/wanted money and managed to get someone in the government to pass the legislation. The fact it was the 38th and the 38th parallel was apparently coincidental.

I like the eagle on the reverse. But I think the obverse is a GREAT example of why the mint is now using outside artists to help design coins. I rank the obverse as among the worst obverse designs I've seen. To me, it looks like someone had access to clip art.
    Mark

• Options
    It is a horrible amateurishly executed design. It is one of the worst moderns to date. Pure rubbish.
  • Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the F-86's...

K
    ANA LM
  • Options
    Ditto. The F-86's are cool.
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    One of the worst commemorative coin designs! A hodgepodge of committee-driven pap with grade-school lettering dumped on a coin to catch a price. Worthy of a below-melt price due to potential for this much “ugly” contaminating other coins. Makes one long for the cluttered imbecility of Maine Centennial or Iowa – even the awful reality of Eunice Shriver’s portrait.
  • Options
    CoinHuskerCoinHusker Posts: 5,030 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>i dont have one yet, but i like them very much. >>

They won't be worth anything for 50 years...but then lookoutimage!!! I'm tellin' ya these things have long-term potential, the only thing is long-term is VERY long term.

image >>

It may not take that long. All the kids that collect state quarters now, when they grow up and come back to the hobby MAY look to modern commems to collect. JMHO
    Collecting coins, medals and currency featuring "The Sower"
  • Options
    I just put that coin in my grandaughters type set.
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Ying - Yang symbol on the reverse is ......image.
    I also have bought quite a few at melt......LOVE the coin!!
  • Options
    These are much more eye-appealling when stored in the green display box in which the Eisenhower Commemorative was issued for a few years!

• Options
    OmegaOmega Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭
    I own one. Every time I look at it it reminds me of my father-in-law opening up about some of what he saw as a combat medic in Korea as we drove home together from my cabin. It was one of the only times he talked about Korea in any detail. The coin will always stay in my collection because of that connection. BTW thanks Vets!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file