Home U.S. Coin Forum

Lincoln Guys Grading

How much does carbon flecks or spots influence the grade on teen and twenties Lincoln Cents? Seems most I see up for auction has either spots or small flecks showing.

Comments

• WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depends on the size, number, etc. The bigger the spots, the lower the price. Sorry I can not narrow it down more. Got a pic you can post if its a coin you have?

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Example: The area between and above the N and E of ONE on the Reverse, if this were an MS65 and given the coin had the strike and mint luster for an MS66, would these spots alone keep this from grading an MS66?

The flecks around Liberty on the Obverse also?

• OneCentOneCent Posts: 3,561

<< <i>Example: The area between and above the N and E of ONE on the Reverse, if this were an MS65 and given the coin had the strike and mint luster for an MS66, would these spots alone keep this from grading an MS66?

The flecks around Liberty on the Obverse also?

image >>

With carbon like that, I would not consider the coin an MS65 no matter what any TPG said.
    imageimage
    Collector of Early 20th Century U.S. Coinage.
    ANA Member R-3147111
  • droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭

<< <i>With carbon like that, I would not consider the coin an MS65 no matter what any TPG said. >>

I wouldn't either, but I'm not setting their standards.
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • Thanks guys and the coin actually sits in an MS66 slab. It's difficult to find early cents without some sort of spotting or flecks. Let me rephrase that, it's extremely expensive to find carbon free early cents but that's what collecting is all about, buy the best examples you can afford as long as you like the coin.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file