Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Sending my 06 A&G Coach Wooden to be auto'd...what should I say?

I'm just curious because I've never sent away for an autograph before. What should I say? I know I should include an SASE, but should it be padded and how much postage should I put on there? Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    When I TTM him I just sent him a nice a letter about his impact on the game of basketball and how I enjoyed reading his book. The letter was not very long – 2 small paragraphs I think.

I just sent two regular envelopes (with a normal stamp on each - you might want to add an extra stamp on the trip out), and the card in a regular top loader - I was not to worried about the condition the card would return in.

He was great I got the auto back in less than 2 weeks!
  • Options
    Tell him why you want his autograph. Be straightforward and be honest. Please note he has been personalizing autos lately. Heres one I got from him a month or so ago:

• Options
    Just buy one on eBay.

From Sports Collectors Daily:

Thursday, 17 January 2008
    He's 97 and just wants to watch the game. But former UCLA coach John Wooden is too nice to say no, so this family and he school are doing it for him.

Nearly 33 years after his last NCAA championship, John Wooden still gets mountains of mail. He signs it all--even at age 97--but when he's out in public, fans ask for autographs too.

A line forms at Pauley Pavilion whenever he's in the building to watch the Bruins and it's gotten a little too much for the Wizard of Westwood to handle. Current coach Ben Howland has been trying to get the school to do something about it and now that Wooden's family has made the same request, they've agreed. UCLA is asking fans to leave Wooden alone.

"It all wears on him," UCLA spokesman Marc Dellins told the Associated Press. "He just wants to be able to come and enjoy the games."

Wooden gets around using a cane and usually attends Bruins' games with his daughter. His seat is directly behind the team bench. One security guard has been attempting keep the crowd orderly.

Howland said he suggested a year or two ago that fans allow Wooden some space.

"It's long overdue," Howland said. "It's not an autograph signing session. He'd be there all day just doing that. He never says no to anybody about anything."

• Options

<< <i>Just buy one on eBay >>

Kind of defeats the purpose of collecting autographs through the mail does it not?? The article is about people asking him at UCLA games. Sending to his home is another issue. If he doesn't want to sign there he won't. Send it and good luck!
  • Options
    I wrote to Wooden, sent him a 1 page letter (I write large) an index card and the A+G card in a penny sleeve. I got back both personalized in about 10 days (this was a few days ago). Keep the letter short, he's probably heard every reason for people wanting his signature. I sent an SASE w/ 1 stamp and 1 stamp on the original envelope.
  • Options
    fur72fur72 Posts: 2,348 ✭✭

<< <i>He never says no to anybody about anything >>

How about some game used stuff an National championship ring and a million dollars Mr. Wooden?

Seriously I thought about sending something to him just because I know he will sign it but as the article said I just don't want to take up his time. He is an old man who has done enough.
  • Options
    I think I'm 0 for 3 with John

• Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    emillio navarro is 102 and he still signs, elijah miller is 101-he still signs- wooden is still signing,they are still popping up on sportscollectors.net all week
    you ever get that a&g card to him chris and hell sign it for ya,if i had another one id send ya one, i had very few 2006 a& g besides the set,i got into em when they were all gone practically
  • Options

<< <i>emillio navarro is 102 and he still signs, elijah miller is 101-he still signs- wooden is still signing,they are still popping up on sportscollectors.net all week
    you ever get that a&g card to him chris and hell sign it for ya,if i had another one id send ya one, i had very few 2006 a& g besides the set,i got into em when they were all gone practically >>

No worries. I'd enjoy having something but it's teh least of my concerns right now. Looks like me and the wife may be buying our first home very soon. It's overwhelming.
  • Options
    I got it all typed out and I'm sending it out tomorrow. Assuming the postman will come by with the "huge" amount of snow we're supposed to get.
  • Options
    metalmikemetalmike Posts: 2,152 ✭✭
    Guru, I am kind of confused. Why don't you substitute Bob Feller for Wooden? I am sure Mr. Wooden is a great guy and I am wondering why do you want his sig? No offense, but maybe a nice letter to Jenny Finch would be better. Share the pics with us-( Jenny, I want ya number, love Guru)
    USN 1977-1987 * ALL cards are commons unless auto'd. Buying Britneycards. NWO for life.
  • Options
    i wrote to her, never got anything back yet though,got booted off the apprentice and gene simmmons too-hes smarter than all of em on there put together,that amarosa is about a puke,whoever she is,i watched it till those 2 went off of it jenny to look at, and gene just basically kicked himself off, he prob made 10 million dollars on a phone call in the car ride,gene has got some serious cash-you would think hed be an idoit but hes a buisnessman just like trump,high rollers
    trump fired jenny image
    carroll alt isnt bad on the eyes though
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    John Wooden is a little old man and I would say his fan mail keeps him occupied. I would not be surprised if he reads all the letters too. I can understand them wanting the crowd to leave him alone at the games as that is a little different. He sure is an interesting fella. If you have never read his book "They Call Me Coach" you should.
  • Options
    Good point Mike. But I've already got Feller's auto on the bat I traded Rube for. The Wooden auto is two fold. First, I found his 06 A&G in a box and thought I would give it a go, but more importantly my dad is going through some serious health issues right now and I thought some encouragement from someone like Wooden would help him out. I'm sure from Jenny Finch too. LOL.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    Guru, it is funny you posted this. I happened to open the John Wooden book after you posted this and my copy was used that my dad found at a yard sale. My father inscribed the inside cover like he does on most sports books he gets me and wrote that it was another book for my library. I opened to the preface and it seemed to be something you might want to hear, given your recent career change into ministries.
    At the end of John's opening letter he closes with a thought:

"O Lord, if I seem to lose my faith in Thee, do not Thou lose Thy faith in me."

• Options
    Thanks Allen, I appreciate that.
  • Options
    So I'm at a Lowe's tonight looking over ideas for a potential building project and we went for a look around the flooring. While looking around, I noticed some samples around 2 1/2 x 2 1/2. I remembered that I was 0/3 with John Wooden and decided to buy two of the samples. I'll be sending one of them out to Coach Wooden. FWIW I'm thinking it might be fun to send a few of them to various basketball coaches TTM.
  • Options
    i expect if he didnt want to sign,hed be in on of those galss booths for the bigwigs,hes where he wants to be,out with the fans,it his tea, , if he didnt want to be bother, hed tell ya to beat it,johns a nice guy though
  • Options
    I sent him a request just today. I sure hope he signs. A truly remarkable coach and man.

Robert
  • Options
    I wrote him a letter stating that the lessons he has taught will always help my son in life, even if he never picks a basketball up. He added"love John Wooden" on my son's autograph.
  • Options
    0/3 will hopefully soon be 1/4 as I sent two two hardwood floor samples to Coach Wooden with the autograph request. I asked for one of the sigs to be personalized to my daughter if at all possible. For $1 per sample, I may have to get a few more to send out to various coaches.
  • Options
    Finally got a TTM from Coach Wooden!

I sent a pair of bamboo floor samples with a marker and they look amazing. Not only did Coach inscribe one of them to my 19 month old daughter, he inscribed the other to me! I'll try to get scans posted soon.
  • Options
    you did it lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!! about high time you got yer wooden!!!!!!!!!
  • Options

<< <i>you did it lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!! about high time you got yer wooden!!!!!!!!! >>

Thanks. Maybe he had something against signing my index cards?

In any case, I'm pretty sure that I'll be doing more of the floor samples with other coaches.
  • Options
    Congrats on finally getting a reply. This guy is amazing at his age, and the way he hesponds to fans and their mail.

Can't wait to see the pics.
  • Options
    you show the pic lol- i dont thik he liked your trees the paper was from chris image

ive never did a floorboard before, i wonder if i sent a 2x4 to hacksaw jim duggan if hed sign it for me?, now that would be funny, and im crazy unuff to do it too ,just put in triange pri tube mail 2x4 about 4 foo long or baseball bat sized, i like it , new idea!!!!!!
  • Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    Guru, I bought a letter in a heritage auction recently. It was written and signed by football HOF Ernie Nevers. It was written in response to a fan asking what had to be a great question to hear.

"What was your greatest thrill in sports, and why?"

Everybody loves to talk about success, especially when asked. Makes you feel good about yourself. You remember your success well and love to relive it.

"Mr. Wooden, with all the great teams you've coached, and the success you've had, which was your favorite team, and why?"

Remember to thank him and tell him why you want his signature. Not to sell on ebay, but because you collect HOF or you collect UCLA or whatever.
  • Options
    In my first letter to the coach I included a list of questions. I explained that I've worked in media relations with some professional teams and included a list of some of the notable individuals that I have interviewed. I told him that it would be the best honor ever to be able to interview him. I would love to get that one back one of these days.
  • Options
    DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    Awesome!!!

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    Coach Wooden was first enshrined as a player in the Basketball Hall Of Fame and was the first of only three individuals(Lenny Wikens and Bill Sharman) to be enshrined both as a coach and player.

John R. Wooden
    Enshrined 1961
    Born: October 14, 1910
    Martinsville, IN

Although a successful college basketball coach, John Wooden was first and foremost a fabulous player. After an All-State career at Martinsville High School, Wooden moved on to Purdue University where he was called the "India Rubber Man" for his suicidal dives on the court and ability to bounce back after a physical play. Wooden, who cites Hall of Fame and Purdue coach Ward Lambert as his greatest coaching influence, began a successful professional career by leading the National Basketball League in scoring in 1932-33 with the Indianapolis Kautskys. An excellent play maker and aggressive defender, Wooden led the Whiting All-Americans into the National Basketball League playoffs in 1938, where he recorded the highest scoring average of any player that season. Although he had been coaching high school while he was playing pro ball, Wooden retired as a player in 1939 to turn his complete attention to coaching.

This man epitomize's class
  • Options
    sweet, how big are those floorboard piece things chris,ive never did any of them,i am going to do the 2x4 to hackksaw duggan and a u.s flag
  • Options

<< <i>sweet, how big are those floorboard piece things chris,ive never did any of them,i am going to do the 2x4 to hackksaw duggan and a u.s flag >>

They're around 2.5 x 2.5 inches, maybe a little larger
  • Options
    If the depot or Lowes has 12x12 parquet flooring in stock you can also use those for autographs. The will break up nicely into 4 squares. Usually they are sold in packs of 10 or 12 at about $1 a square foot.