Home U.S. Coin Forum

I think my camera just died! Any advice? FIXED Thank you!

I have been using an Olympus SP320 Digital camera for the last 12 months or so (although I don't think the camera type is too important here). Was in the midst of taking a few photos when suddenly all sorts of warning sounds and lights took over, conveying the message "Zoom Error."

As far as I can make out, the zoom lens has frozen at a certain point & nothing I have tried seems to help - it will neither expand or contract. Normally, when I turn the camera off, the lens shrinks back into the body, but even that doesn't happen any more - nor will it let me take a picture at the current zoom extension. Nothing in the support manuals even refers to this particular error message & so is of no help.

Has this happened to anybody else before? Any solutions to the problem? Or, as I fear, is this likely to require professional repairs that are likely to cost more than a replacement? Any insight would be appreciated.

Comments

• SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,873 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chill the body.

Oh, you said camera, nevermind.
  • pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    when you turn it off, does it make a clicking sound like gears slipping? I had a few cameras that did this and I would gently nudge the lens in the correct direction.

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill

• << <i>when you turn it off, does it make a clicking sound like gears slipping? I had a few cameras that did this and I would gently nudge the lens in the correct direction. >>

Exactly - I have now seen on the web that this is a known problem with this model & there was a similar suggestion to yours - which has worked for the time being, thanks!
  • drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not knowing anything about your camera, I'd take a try at removing the battery and go for a re-boot. Mike
  • BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like the motor is dying.

Good thing you can pick up a nice 8-10MP camera for under $200 now. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file