Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Stopping the AT movement

JoeLewisJoeLewis Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭✭
I just had a thought. I think there are two main reasons to AT a coin. One is to try to cover up impefections on a coin. The other is to sell it as a monster toner for a high premium.

The first reason cannot be dealt with effectively. But, we can stop the other reason. Why not just flood the market with AT coins (I mean really flood it) until the demand for them is so poor that they loose their premium? Then, it will no longer be profitable to AT coins, and it will stop.

What say you?

Comments

• Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Okay, you start!
  • Options

<< <i>Okay, you start! >>

Maybe I already have (bwa ha ha image )
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are already a lot of them out there....the premium comes from ones that look more natural.
    Even AT coins will have a little premium because some of them do look pretty. I'd pay an extra dollar on a raw, nice looking, AT coin if I needed that coin, over a dull, untoned, one.

I do agree with your concept though and it is one reason that I don't pay HUGE toning premiums.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    Just curious. Assuming ,for the moment, that the 2 reasons presented are accurate, would there be concurrence that the recent actions by 2 TPGs has effectively reduced the "validity" of the reasons, in that the collecting community is better informed now than 1 day, and indeed 1 year ago, and word of mouth( and what I am sure will be an article published in major numismatic news forums) will spread the information with astonishing speed thruout the community and the result will be avoidance, a suspect attitude toward such coins and an almost immediate reduction of profit motives associated with the reasons listed? Is it possible that this is the thrust, in part, of what the TPGs want to accomplish ? Should'nt the other recognized TPGs follow the lead of their competitors(in this instance)? Regards and Respectfully, John Curlis
  • Options
    JulioJulio Posts: 2,501
    "Just curious. Assuming ,for the moment, that the 2 reasons presented are accurate, would there be concurrence that the recent actions by 2 TPGs has effectively reduced the "validity" of the reasons, in that the collecting community is better informed now than 1 day, and indeed 1 year ago, and word of mouth( and what I am sure will be an article published in major numismatic news forums) will spread the information with astonishing speed thruout the community and the result will be avoidance, a suspect attitude toward such coins and an almost immediate reduction of profit motives associated with the reasons listed? Is it possible that this is the thrust, in part, of what the TPGs want to accomplish ? Should'nt the other recognized TPGs follow the lead of their competitors(in this instance)? Regards and Respectfully, John Curlis." Charley

That is good logical thinking. jws
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    Luckily I don't have to deal with this so much with gold coins. image
  • Options

<< <i>Just curious. Assuming ,for the moment, that the 2 reasons presented are accurate, would there be concurrence that the recent actions by 2 TPGs has effectively reduced the "validity" of the reasons, in that the collecting community is better informed now than 1 day, and indeed 1 year ago, and word of mouth( and what I am sure will be an article published in major numismatic news forums) will spread the information with astonishing speed thruout the community and the result will be avoidance, a suspect attitude toward such coins and an almost immediate reduction of profit motives associated with the reasons listed? Is it possible that this is the thrust, in part, of what the TPGs want to accomplish ? Should'nt the other recognized TPGs follow the lead of their competitors(in this instance)? Regards and Respectfully, John Curlis >>

The announcement can only affect certified coins. I don't think the announcement informed anyone of ATing. It just pointed out that the ATing that we all know is happening will not be tolerated by them.

You cannot stop a fad by halting the supply. You must halt the demand. By flooding the market with AT coins until everyone is just so tired of seeing them everywhere, the demand will naturally subside. Then the fad will stop.

And we'll be on to the next fad image
  • Options

<< <i>.....
    You cannot stop a fad by halting the supply. You must halt the demand. By flooding the market with AT coins until everyone is just so tired of seeing them everywhere, the demand will naturally subside. Then the fad will stop.

And we'll be on to the next fad image >>

Great! Let me guess what the new fad might be----dipped coins? The return of blast white Seated dollars or coppers with artificial red surfaces? Just saw several of these this week---I'll pass.

BTW, using your logic, all people have to do to halt the demand for Early Release/First Strikes coins is to flood the market with even more of them. Unfortunately, there is always a sucker for numismatic junk.

Make enough AT coins, and you will be able to see them in TV commercials and newspaper ads.
  • Options
    I sincerely appreciate the replys. I do have a slightly different "conclusion" scenario. The announcement(s), will, by default, have an effect on all such coins, certified or not, and will have the greater monetary affect on non-certified coins. By nature, as collectors, we are suspicious of the (gasp!) good deal, and with wide spread knowledge of questionable practices, the resulting thought process of a potential buyer of such coins will be very similar to the response to the Yugo. By its' very nature, the announcement(s) clearly informed a reader of the AT subject in the vein of snake oil. It couldn't be mistaken as an announcement of support. The fad, if indeed it is/was a fad, is not killed, it is simply directed toward naturally toned pieces. I humbly repeat, shouldn't the other TPGs follow suit for the good of the collecting community and the Hobby? Respectfully, John Curlis
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>.....

And we'll be on to the next fad image >>

Great! Let me guess what the new fad might be----dipped coins? The return of blast white Seated dollars or coppers with artificial red surfaces? Just saw several of these this week---I'll pass.

BTW, using your logic, all people have to do to halt the demand for Early Release/First Strikes coins is to flood the market with even more of them. Unfortunately, there is always a sucker for numismatic junk.

Make enough AT coins, and you will be able to see them in TV commercials and newspaper ads. >>

Yes, dipped coins will be the next fad (that's why I put the sad face in my post.)

While there is always a sucker for numismatic junk, there are not enough of them to keep the fad going. The toned coin fad is going strong because of knowledgeable coin collectors.

The First Strike thing is going strong for different reasons (i.e. Registry sets that must include only first strike coins, or people who want their collection to be uniform (label-wise.))

The AT coin thing is going strong because they are seen as being uniquely pretty. You flood the market with them, and they will not seem special anymore...hence, nobody will pay a premium for it.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Okay, you start! >>

Maybe I already have (bwa ha ha image ) >>

BTW, this was a joke. I will have nothing to do with doctoring coins.
  • Options
    Respectfully, I don't concur that the basis of any perceived "strength" of the AT coins is because they are uniquely pretty.. I would venture it is because the majority of the coins in questioned are perceived to be NATURAL in color,thus uniquely pretty and maybe (or maybe not) worth a premium. Educate the masses and the AT profit margin will collapse. This would be the reason that all TPGs should take a stance, and the subject of suspect AT coins published in all available sources of information. Indeed, logic and business ethic should cause all remaining on the fence TPGs to follow suit. Regards and Respectfully, John Curlis

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file