Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Brookpark, Ohio monthly coin show this Sunday, 2-3-08.

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
Come on out to the Brookpark, Ohio monthly coin show on Sunday. It's a smaller show with perhaps 30 dealers, but there always seems to be something good that comes out of it for me. I'll be attending with a dealer friend in an attempt to further my education, but also in the hopes of getting a shot at whatever he might buy at the show before the vultures walk into his shop on Tuesday!!! There has always been a nice crowd at this show and with bullion up and the year off to a robust start it should be well attended. I would add that although CW lists a starting time of 10 AM the doors are open for dealer set-up around 8 AM and collectors are welcome to enter early and browse.

Look for me or ask for me at Affordable Jewelry and Coins which should be easy to find-----just look for the crowded table with the giant "We Buy Coins" red-on-white sign!!!

Al H.image

Comments

• Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Man, Super Bowl Sunday and they're having a coin show?

Good luck!
  • Options
    DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭
    I gotta work this weekend. image
    “A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC
  • Options
    TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭
    I will be there sunday.....
    Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • Options
    there will be plenty of time to attend a show and get home for the game. i have been at regional shows, though, when they seemed slow because of a big game but somebody always has either a radio or a small TV set!!!image
  • Options
    Ill be there. I know where Brookpark is. My mom lives on the west side. im out in the sticks, but Ill make it.

Is it worth going?
  • Options
    yeah, i think it's worth it. i usually manage to find something nice and you never know what might show up. once a local guy rented a table because he wanted to sell off his collection of about 20-30 years, Proof Sets beginning in 1938 and quite a few raw Commems in the mix, and the dealers about stampeded to his table!!!! i managed to get a 1940 Proof Set he had in Capital Plastic with the Jefferson Nickel 1938 Reverse but lost contact with him about a wonderful Lafayette Commem we were trying to agree on. the thing with smaller shows like this is that you never know what might "walk up" to surprise you.

i'll be hoping to find some nice Proofs and perhaps some singles for Modern Crap sets i'm working on like Ike Dollars. there's usually a guy with quite a few to search through.
  • Options
    Will you guys be at the Ohio Coin Expo 2/22-2/24?
  • Options
    There is typically a pretty good mix of stuff there.

I don't go every month, but a couple of times a year works for me.....

Can't spend to much with the bigger show at the end of the month.....
  • Options
    i'll be hitting the much hated Nelson show and excercising the same restraint there as i will at this show, they're both tough for a collector to sell at but great buying shows if you're careful and willing to spend the time looking. one trap that spoils the fun for collectors is getting lulled into thinking that what's in the showcase is all there is: i always try to engage the dealers and sometimes get to see what's under and behind.

here's a prime example, a tasty little gem that graded MS68 at NGC!!

• Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    this Brookpark show, it isn't the one where that guy gouges for admission is it?

if I get to feeling better and depending on what (if) my wife works Sunday, I might come up if it's not that one guy's gig.
  • Options
    Brookpark is free and very user friendly.
  • Options
    How everybody loves Ron Nelson.....

The entry fee for that show at the end of the month is always great and gets me swearing, but what you going to do, that just takes a few bucks out of my budget for the show.....

Keets what exactly is that?
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will not attend the Nelson shows-haven't for 3 or 4 years, but I go to the Brookpark show every six months or so. I've cherried some nice varieties there. I might go this weekend.
  • Options
    Keets what exactly is that?

it's a Gold Dollar size tribute to Hendrik Hudson issued by Thomas L. Elder in 1909 and catlogued as HK-371. the obvers is of course Hudson and reverse is his ship, The Half Moon. the detail is astonishing and the surfaces are a lovely Matte-like Proof which seemed in vogue at the time. if you look closely you can even see the tiny figures on the ship and the designers initials and half-moon at the end of the lettering. the color is superb and when you consider a nearly 100 year old gold medal at MS68, well, i can only smile at my good fortune!!!
  • Options
    Interesting.....

I have never been able to exactly figure out why Nelson is loved so much?

Or is simply because of the prices he charges?
  • Options
    you know, it baffles me exactly how begrudging some collectors and just people in general can be. certainly i don't enjoy paying the admission fee, but that's short-sighted to the extreme when you consider the medal i posted. with the profit i could make if i chose to sell it, well, you catch my drift!!! my local dealer held such a grudge against Nelson over a perceived wrong and stayed away for quite a while despite my reasoned pleading with him that he was "cutting off his nose to spite his face" over the whole thing. he now attends the show, has moved up the ranks in table assignment and profits handsomely. it's all about tolerance and wisdom.

like i always say, I'll show you, I'll hurt me" is a stupid philosophy to go through life with, but i digress. many will stay away fro hundreds over a five dollar fee and i don't fault them for their decision.
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Interesting.....

I have never been able to exactly figure out why Nelson is loved so much?

Or is simply because of the prices he charges? >>

Me, I'm just a stubborn SOB. I went to one show a few years back and it was in WAY too small of a venue. People were packed in like sardines and you couldn't take step without bumping into someone or someone bumping into me or my kid. Plus I had to Pay to go into that.

I've never been back and will never attend one of his shows ever again. Thank God that the snail mailings and emails finally ceased at some point.image
  • Options
    As a collector I don't see why you would not pay a few dollars and get the chance to walk around and see all that is for sale at a larger show, when we don't get tons of them in the Cleveland area.....

You pay shipping fees and commissions when you purchase else where so.....

• Options
    Raven, i like Goose and he knows it, but i have never been able to understand why he willingly would drive to Columbus for a show but refuse to pay a small admission closer to home. maybe he's just a stubborn SOB!!!image
  • Options
    I'd like to come, but it's a long drive. Maybe they'll have a show sometime when Carol and I are visiting our niece in Mansfield.
  • Options
    You drive to Columbus for a show and you still end up paying image

• Options
    I'll try to make it!..Mike from, Ravenna, Ohioimage
    achillesaero

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file