Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Still Have Your "KID" whitman cent folders?

ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
I still got mine. Last printed date is 1964. On taking a really good look at these now it is really nice to see the 65-73 ones I put in there, nice fire orange, no toning or spotting. A few had a finger print on them....mine no doubt a sweaty fingered kid messing with my pennies sitting on my bed one hot afternoon.....so long ago.

Sooooo....whose got the oldest surviving penny folder from his (or her) long ago kid days.............

Comments

• Options
    I have a complete #2 wheat book dated 2/2/70 (my birthdate) it was dated by my Grandfather......no doubt he wanted me to have it...

He passed away in 1977, but not before he planted the coin collecting seed.....

Alan
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    1909-1940 Lincoln's

never did get started on putting other coins in albums, just pennies.

my biggest "find" as a kid was a 1909-S....i think i looked at it 30 times under my little microscope hoping to see a "V.D.B"

and for the life of me i don't know how i could see the mint marks with no glasses or magnification...i need a frikin' loupe to look at em now....lol
  • Options
    droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭
    no, but i still have the 20th century type set folder that i put together for the boy scout merit badge in coin collecting.

not much of note in there except for some reason i wound up with a vf barber half.

Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • Options
    ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    I do. It's a whitman 9004 album from 1909 to 1940, copyright 1949 that's very faded on the date. I still lack 39 coins I may have to complete it one of these days since it's a F to VF album and should cost a whole lot on most of the coins.
  • Options
    I've got a pretty empty blue Whitman (missing the back page, so I don't know the date) #9004 (1909-1940) & I've got a green Merit (Trademarked "Meghrig" but no date) #M6 (1948- ).... with the last coin being a 1978 (when we moved back to Florida from Ohio).
  • Options
    circa 1950's Whitman Mercury Dime folder complete with the Mercs I found from change 1960-1962. (Parents gave me the AG 1916-D for Christmas, 1962.) Also have a complete Roosevelt Dime folder as well, finished at about the same time.

Garrow
  • Options
    UTTM07UTTM07 Posts: 313 ✭✭
    The start of my Mercury dime, Standing Liberty quarter, Washington quarter, and Walking Liberty half sets came from bags and are still in Whitman folders. I also have Liberty and Jefferson nickels in Whitmans, but I transferred my Indian Head and Lincoln cents to Danscos when I was about 13.
  • Options
    I need to go to the safty deposit box and pull out my merc's to see how close I'd be to building a set I have quite a few rolls of old merc's from the teens, twentys, and thirties that are in AG to VF that I purchased to try to get my kids interested in collecting that never took hold.
    With all the crazy prices no days it would be fun to get back to collecting for fun and not have to worry about how much you have tied up in your collection.
  • Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I posted this before . .

Just when I went back to collecting as an adult, I thought I would see what my Whitman Lincoln book #2 (1940-70 or so) would bring. A guy bought it off the bidboard without me really thinking about what I was doing. He approached me later and said "I think you may want this later when you think about it." Bought it back from him and still have it. It's one of my prized possessions now.

For some reason I put a 1968-S, 1969-S, and 1970-S Proof in those three slots . . . a few BUs which also have fingerprints all over, and all the rest just nice circs. What history! I mowed lawns for spending money and mailed away for inflated-priced commons and then waited with baited breath for the mailman to arrive each day!

Drunner
  • Options
    Yeah I know that waitin for the mailman feeling. I made teeth marks in the windowsill staring down washington avenue at 1 45 in the afternoon, waiting for the first peek of the mailmans carts front wheel down the end of the block. That happend with stamp approvals too
  • Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭
    I sold/traded mine on the late 90s, but just heard last week that if I wanted them back that they're available, untouched...
    Do I really want to see all those BU sliders? image
  • Options

<< <i>I sold/traded mine on the late 90s, but just heard last week that if I wanted them back that they're available, untouched...
    Do I really want to see all those BU sliders? image[/q

Depends. Do you have kids or grandkids that might want them when your gone? I know some of my most prized pieces aren't worth more than $100 but have been past though our family for a couple of generations. I value those more than my collection of higher grade coins just for it's family history and the stories. That's one of the main reason I've got a graded PCGS/NGC/ANACS Bust Half collection in VF35/AU50 range (minus the 1815 at present) just to hand down to start another tradition in my family, I just need to find the right kid/grandkid that won't just sell them for the money.

Really the coins I enjoy most now days aren't my high value vault queens but my albums of Franklins, Peace, and Bust halves (year set minus the 1815 in F/VF) that set in my gun safe. I take those out and the kid comes back in me.image Now that's collecting IMO. These coins are getting so high once you've got a set it starts out as a hobby but as the money grows in them you have to worry about them as an investment.
  • Options
    You really got to give those people at whitman credit, they had a real chemically stable folder there. A lot of my sixties coins are still mint bright, identical to an 07. Pretty amazing.
  • Options
    crispycrispy Posts: 792 ✭✭✭
    I tried to make a bunch of them using cardboard and blue poster paint. Took forever and didn't really work all that well but it gave me something to do.
    "to you, a hero is some kind of weird sandwich..."
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Several Whitman folders from childhood - IHC, Lincoln, Liberty Nickel and Jefferson.
  • Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Really the coins I enjoy most now days aren't my high value vault queens but my albums of Franklins, Peace, and... >>

You may be right. I'll give it some more thought, and just chaulk up the sliders (Franklin and Peace, as you mentioned) to the learning experience. image
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes I do. My Lincoln folders were given to me in 1973.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
    Yup. But that's cause I'm still a kid. image

None of them are full, but the most interesting one I have is one for Roosevelt Dimes complete with a price tag from E.A. Corvette's (sp?). It appears to be unused and it has a spot for that elusive 1965-D image.
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,260 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have mine as well. Last printed date of 1964 as well.
    I had Indians, Lincolns, Jeffersons, Roosevelt dimes, and Canadian cents. I could not afford quarters and halves. Almost everything was found in pocket change or parking meter change (you could get sewn bags of parking meter change in the town I lived in).

They are priceless to me but not worth too much over melt.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    yup. and im still working on it. my circ. lincolns, only album that aint done yet. imageimagenot done yet, but i have more in there now. i only need 5 coins to finish.
  • Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭✭
    I still have NOTHING BUT those folders, now expanded to all denominations & several foreign countries!image
  • Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,443 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, but then I didn't have them as a kid, either. Even then, I PERSONALLY (note carefully--I am not slamming anyone else's collecting preferences) had absolutely no interest in collecting the coins that I saw every day in circulation. Those were merely the means I used to collect what I was interested in.

I do, however, still have many of the large cents that I acquired as a kid.
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My first "penny" board from 1955 was a Dansco - a red folder-type like the Whitman's, but perhaps a bit nicer. It's now in 2 pieces, due to age and from being opened so many times. Curiously, it started with 1930. I guess the earlier years were just too hard to find even then. When my parents took me to the hobby store, the owner said that the San Francisco coins could become scarce, because that mint had just closed. I've kept the original coins, but years later started a second set in another Dansco album that went back to 1909. That one is also now in 2 pieces. My last circulated set resides in an album that has plastic slides to protect the coins. I started that one around 1980, when I worked at a coin shop, and was able to buy a lot of high-grade circulated early dates from collections we purchased over the counter.

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    yep, from the '50s
    "Everyday above ground is a good day"

• Options
    Yup! 30+ years!
    Lurker since '02. Got the seven year itch!

Gary
  • Options
    anablepanablep Posts: 5,032 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do, and I still enjoy looking at them...

Filled the Jeff's and Lincolns (except 09-S vdb & 14-D) as a kid and then started upgrading what I've got in the folders more recently.

Actually I started collection coins by collecting these 2 series back in the late 80's while in middle school...
    Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file