• Options
    IGWTIGWT Posts: 4,975
    . . . or large cent. image J648/P721
  • Options
    That is cool
  • Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424
    Is she yours?
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Is she yours? >>

Me? Do I look like a pattern guy? image
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmmmmm....................nice.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Is she yours? >>

Me? Do I look like a pattern guy? image >>

Nope, but (IIRC) you also said something along the lines of you weren't gonna buy any coins for a while...how'd that work out? image

Mark
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Is she yours? >>

Me? Do I look like a pattern guy? image >>

Nope, but (IIRC) you also said something along the lines of you weren't gonna buy any coins for a while...how'd that work out? image

Mark >>

Not well. image

I enjoy coins too much. image
  • Options
    Haha, I can't say that I blame you.

But you still never answered my original question. image

• Options

<< <i>Haha, I can't say that I blame you.

But you still never answered my original question. image >>

"She" (the coin) is apparently owned by Legend.
  • Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    A very nice coin. Even more historic is the 1868 Large Cent, J-610/P-675 in Nickel and J- 611/P-676 in Copper using a reproduction of the die used to strike the 1850's large cents. These were exclusively sold to collectors of the time and regarded as fantasy pieces.

Although the Nickel issue is more rare with approximately 7-8 pieces known, the copper piece with about 12 pieces known is more in demand as it is struck using apperantly old planchets which were still at the mint after the large cent was discontinoud about a decade earlier. Off course, this design was never seriously considered for coinage and was made during a time the mint often sold made products to collectors off the time. The 10 cent piece made of nickel was proposed instead of the Silver Dimes, but it can be assumed that the old Large Cent design never was serously considered. A reason that these fantasy pieces might be created could be the fact that coin collecting become popular shortly after the discontinouation of the Large Cent, issued for 60 years in various design. Sort of a rendezvous for the numismatists who lived and collected back in the 1850's and 1860's.

Image from uspatterns.com courtesy of the respective owners listed there:

J-610/P-675 Nickel

J-611/P676 Copper

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file