Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I've got a question about this new Ebay policy

ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
stuff about to hit. What happens to my feedback in a year since I've only brought and never sold. Do I have a zero feedback in a year. Boy if thats the case it should be fun trying to weed out the scammers from us honest folks.image

Comments

• Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    I did not read anything about expiring feed back scores. That would stink.

Edited, this is not the first post. I hate it when this happens.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe what happens is that feedback continues where it is and, as a buyer, YOU can still receive feedback...it can only be positive though.
    Sellers won't be able to leave negative/neutral.
    Buyers can leave whatever.

What this does is make it harder on legit sellers who can't expose a ripoff buyer with a neg/neutral.

Yes, it does make it harder for ripoff sellers to continue to use feedback threats against legit buyers, but it is a double-sided sword, imho, with no correct path at the moment.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    Well I guess best case is it will be froze and all new users won't get any since sellers can't leave feedback. That's jacked IMO.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Well I guess best case is it will be froze and all new users won't get any since sellers can't leave feedback. That's jacked IMO. >>

Again, not quite it. That may be the result, but unless I miss something, sellers CAN still leave feedback...only positive feedback though.
    I would imagine some sellers will stop leaving any at all though (although many don't leave it now anyway)

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭
    I teach an eBay class where I work and this is what I've said about the new feedback system: Retailitory feedback is like a cut on your finger. Instead of giving you a band-aid, eBay just cut off your finger. Their new feedback system is ridiculous. I don't use eBay much anymore and I'm sure I'll use it less in the future...
    Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • Options
    Ok the seller can still leave a postive feedback? That's better but I bet the whole feedback system crumbles since there's less of an advantage to leave feedback at all since people on there are so lazy they don't bother a lot of the time now.

Thanks
  • Options
    This brings up another good point, since the seller has no reason to leave feedback anymore, that actually give the satisfied BUYER less reason to leave feedback also (as less sellers may leave positives for the buyer since that is all they can leave anyway), but the buyer who woke up on the wrong side of the bed will ALWAYS leave his negatives, so I see this as really skewing the feedback in a way that will not reflect the true feedback.
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options

<< <i>...sellers CAN still leave feedback...only positive feedback though. I would imagine some sellers will stop leaving any at all though (although many don't leave it now anyway) >>

I'd expect that many sellers would do just that. What's the point of leaving feedback if it's always positive regardless of the transaction? I'd also expect, should that happen, some buyers will then whine to eBay about not getting feedback anymore and insist that automatic positives be posted for them whenever they buy something.
  • Options

<< <i>This brings up another good point, since the seller has no reason to leave feedback anymore, that actually give the satisfied BUYER less reason to leave feedback also (as less sellers may leave positives for the buyer since that is all they can leave anyway), but the buyer who woke up on the wrong side of the bed will ALWAYS leave his negatives, so I see this as really skewing the feedback in a way that will not reflect the true feedback. >>

On the plus side (for eBay, anyway), that will probably help to keep lots of sellers ratings at a low enough point where eBay doesn't have to pay out on the fee discounts too often. image
  • Options
    I think the new feedback system is designed to allow buyers to give an honest opinion about their experience with a seller (good or bad) and not have to worry about an undeserved retailtory negavtive left from a seller that did not hold up his end of the deal. In the long run I feel this will benefit all sellers by exposing the bad ones while rewarding the good ones. Clearly this is a problem that needed addressing, when a buyer had a bad experience with a seller the common response on this forum was 'if you leave a negative you will get one back' under the new system, buyers have an incentive to do the right thing and expose bad sellers which IMO benefits all sellers.
    Never teach a pig to sing. You'll waste your time and annoy the pig image

• Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Ok the seller can still leave a postive feedback? That's better but I bet the whole feedback system crumbles since there's less of an advantage to leave feedback at all since people on there are so lazy they don't bother a lot of the time now.

Thanks >>

You can still leave a positive feedback with nothing but negative horror. image
  • Options
    I still buy time to time if I need something but the last 6 months I've left postive feedback when I recieved the coin only to have sellers never even bother. Seems to be a new breed on Ebay since I started in 1997. There's a person on this board I purchased a couple of coins from that never left feedback. I left him feedback the first time but not the second and will never do bussiness with them again. In my mind it makes me look like I tried to pull something over on him. But that's just me.................

Now we've both got non feedback auctions that make it look like something went wrong with the auction even though both transactions were fine.
  • Options
    What I thought was classic about eBay's statement on this matter (made by one of their VPs) was that that same VP announced his retirement at the end. Classic in the Dilbert sense here. Something like: "And now let me jet out with my huge retirement package and leave you with this piece of s--t policy change." All dressed up in the illusion of benefit for the "community." Jeez, I still get this kind of crap from all the VPs in my company, this orwellian doublespeak.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file