Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Real deal unsearched rolls on ebay?...what do you think?

mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭✭✭
THESE ROLLS ARE FROM A HOARD OF 8000++ ROLLS OF TRULY UNSEARCHED LINCOLN WHEAT CENTS! I CHECKED THE ENDS ONLY OF ABOUT 200 ROLLS AND FOUND ONE WITH A 1909-S SHOWING AND A ROLL WITH A 1931-S SHOWING. SO I BOUGHT THEM ALL!

Was unable to post the link for reason unknown. Anyway, it seems these rolls of wheaties,in groups of six, having been going for some serious money,like over $100. So these are averaging over 33 cents per coin for the seller.The feedback looks really good in that some nice early ones ('09S in AU?) have been found?

What ya think? Is it worth the risk for $100 for six rolls of these?

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

Comments

• Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭
    You're kidding, right?

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    I would say they are smoking something and you will get about $5-$10 dollars worth of wheat cents for you $100 plus shipping.
  • Options
    You're kidding, right?

Nope, not kidding. These auctions are easily found. I just couldn't make the linky work.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭
    If you have an auction number, someone else will post the link!

As for 6 rolls for a hundred bucks? I would only "consider" it if these were BU Rolls that were tightly wrapped with no evidence of tampering.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    You may post at least an item number so someone can post a link, what you are saying sounds to me like everyone else's auctions who have supposed unsearched wheat rolls, just a slightly different story.
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options
    Buyer Be Ware.......
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭
    Found it!

I wouldn't buy these simply because he shows an open bag and not an actual roll. If these were Original Rolls, which are easily detected, then maybe something is here but just from looking at the auction, no.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

• Options
    THIS COMES FROM AN 86 YEAR OLD WOMAN WHOSE HUSBAND DIED A FEW YEARS AGO. HE HAD HOARDED WHEAT CENTS SINCE 1942. HE WAS DRAFTED IN LATE 42 AND SERVED UNTIL LATE 1945. SHE SAID THAT SHE SAVED SOME COINS DURING THIS TIME BUT NOT A LOT. HE STARTED BACK IN 1946 AND CONTINUED UNTIL 1985 AND STOPPED BECAUSE FEW WHEATS WERE STILL IN CIRCULATION AND HIS EYESIGHT WAS NOT GOOD ANYMORE!

SHE SAID THAT HE TOOK HIS WHEATIES AND PUT THEM AT FIRST IN JARS..THEN IN BUCKETS. HE NEVER WAS A COLLECTOR ONLY A HOARDER OF WHEAT CENTS!

LAST SUMMER HER GRANDKIDS AND GREAT GRANDKIDS CAME AND STARTED TO ROLL THE COINS. THEY JUST FINISHED BEFORE CHRISTMAS AND THE TOTAL WAS 8143 ROLLS OF UNSEARCHED WHEAT CENTS!

THE END COINS SHOW A GOOD ASSORTMENT OF TEENS-TWENTIES-THIRTIES-FOURTIES WITH A FEW BU COINS AT THE END OF THE ROLLS.

I HAVE NOT OPENED OR SEARCHED ANY ROLLS!

THESE ARE ROLLED SHOTGUN STYLE WITH CRIMPED ENDS!

I KNOW FROM TALKING TO THE LADY THAT I GOT THESE FROM THAT THERE ARE SOME REAL TREASURES IN THESE ROLLS!

• Options
    MJPHELANMJPHELAN Posts: 760 ✭✭✭
    If you found a roll with an 09-S and a 31-S on the end, would you sell the rest of rolls without checking them?

Classic E-bay BS story.
    Mark
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly, I wouldn't even think twice and would just skip that auction.
    While there is the 0.0001% chance you would get what you paid for and score well, the overwhelming likelihood is that you will be jacked on it.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    "If you found a roll with an 09-S and a 31-S on the end, would you sell the rest of rolls without checking them?"

I know I would check them.image Some of that feedback is kind of glowing,however. What do you make of that?

• Options
    I agree, and no pictures of the actual rolls you are buying, same BS, different story.
  • Options

<< <i>"If you found a roll with an 09-S and a 31-S on the end, would you sell the rest of rolls without checking them?"

I know I would check them.image Some of that feedback is kind of glowing,however. What do you make of that? >>

Probably his "hoard" splitting partners
  • Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭
    Save your money.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭
    This is 100% BS. There is no such thing as an unsearched roll - especially on eBay. The longer the backstory the more obvious that it's a scam. Don't waste your money.
    Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would almost be exciting to pony up the cash as a 'Board" purchase, analyze them, then publish the results. Then, once and for all we could link this auction and the results whenever anyone brings it up again.

NO, I am not volunteering . . .

Drunner
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    "Unsearched." image
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    when did the 'shotgun' roll method get started?
    I thought they weren't invented until the 40's

show me an earlier one if you have it

shotgun - meaning rounded crimped end that shows 85% of one side of a coin
  • Options
    percybpercyb Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭
    if there are treasures in the rolls how would the seller know unless they were opened and then why on earth would the treasure be for sale?
    "Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,571 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are no such things as unsearched rolls of wheat cents. If they weren't searched, how does anybody know they are wheat cents?

There ARE people who buy bags of wheat cents from dealers like us, don't look at them when they receive them, and then resell them as "unsearched" (meaning by them). Trust me, we look at them before we ship them.

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    One of these groups of six recently sold for over $300. Why? Well, it seems there is a 1913 BU at one end and a VDB (BU) visible at the other end. On checking this seller's auctions (pre hoard) I notice some Lincoln singles have been offered.

"why on earth would the treasure be for sale?"

Excellent point. I really hadn't given this any thought.

"Trust me, we look at them before we ship them."

You have time to do this? I keep reading about "no time to check" so "we send them out as they come in...unsearched by us."

Thank you all for your observations. I think my $100 will go elsewhere.

• Options
    hook. line. and sinker.

know what you don't know.

hi, i'm tom.

i do not doctor coins like some who post in here.

• Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    Check ended listings for billiec310.

Sorry, I'm too dumb to post a link.

Best,

John
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Caveat Emptor.

I also dislike sellers who yell using all caps. 99% chance it's total B.S.
  • Options
    tmcsr69tmcsr69 Posts: 1,307

<< <i>"If you found a roll with an 09-S and a 31-S on the end, would you sell the rest of rolls without checking them?"

I know I would check them.image Some of that feedback is kind of glowing,however. What do you make of that? >>

Most likely seeded the rolls. Looking through his feedback he has purchased many of the coins that have been reported found in these rolls. He has also purchased a coin roller/crimper and wrappers. Didn't he say in his story that the family wrapped the coins?
    Crazy old man from Missouri
  • Options
    "Sorry, I'm too dumb to post a link."

It seems I'm too dumb to find ended listings in addition to not being able to post the link.

• Options

<< <i>One of these groups of six recently sold for over $300. Why? Well, it seems there is a 1913 BU at one end and a VDB (BU) visible at the other end. >>

What do you suppose the odds are of a 1913 and a 1909 cent turning up in circulation in BU condition (keeping in mind that coins were actually spent as money in those days and not just dumped in a jar at the end of the day) 30 years after they were issued? Now, what do you suppose the odds are of those two coins getting picked up at random and included together in the same roll by some kids rolling the coins? Next, consider what the odds might be that each of those BU coins ended up at the end of that roll.

So tell me- what do think? image

On the other hand, my brother bought an "unsearched" bag of wheats for around $150 on eBay to go through with his son. They found every date and mint from 1934 through 1955 (plus all the Philadelphia issues from 1909 on), along with all but about a dozen or so of the better earlier mintmarked dates, including six or seven 09 VDBs in VF-XF, so there is still some stuff out there that's not just junk. Even so, I think he was just lucky.
  • Options
    Feh! These "unsearched roll" carnival barkers are all over eBay. I look for original wrapped rolls on eBay from time to time. There are some sellers who seem to have an endless supply of "obw" rolls. They all hype the possibility of finding some coveted MS67 or MS68 coin that will bring the buyer moon money. It's like buying a lottery ticket. This is what initially attracted me to buy some "obw" rolls. After reality finally set in, I realized that that most of the coins will grade out from AU to the MS62-65 range.

I still like to buy original rolls and while it would be nice to find an elusive high grade coin, I just think it's fun to open a 50 year old plus roll and see coins as shiny as any roll I open from 2007.

• Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Look at all the roll deals on eBay and I'll tell you a secret...ONE and only one deal is real, the rest are scams. Now do you feel lucky? Do ya???image
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    coinnutcoinnut Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the grandkids rolled the coins how did they crimp the ends? image
  • Options
    What do you suppose the odds are of a 1913 and a 1909 cent turning up in circulation in BU condition (keeping in mind that coins were actually spent as money in those days and not just dumped in a jar at the end of the day) 30 years after they were issued? Now, what do you suppose the odds are of those two coins getting picked up at random and included together in the same roll by some kids rolling the coins? Next, consider what the odds might be that each of those BU coins ended up at the end of that roll.

To be clear,the great grandchildren would be the only true "kids" doing the rolling thing.

Yes, the odds aren't really there for this to be a random occurence with the BU coins. Also, I notice that the roll on the 1913 end is not really crimped tight and the coin doesn't even look BU to me.

An SVDB in BU is a $1800+ coin so how could one not stand to check the other side for an "s"?

• Options
    I Was Stupid Enough To Try It ONCE and that taught me a Lesson that i Already Knew,But The Curiosity got the Best of Me and My Wallet! What are the Chances of Randomly "Sealed Rolls" having a Key Date on BOTH Ends!! Duhhhhh....Unless you Just Fell Off The Turnip Truck, I'd Run the Other way as Fast as You Can. Ray in Florida.. image
  • Options
    tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
    Want "unsearched rolls?" Go to your local B&M. Many of them have bags of wheat cents lying around that they didn't look through. They usually just count em and bag em. I've found some nifty stuff that way. And chances are, it's going to be a lot cheaper than those "unsearched" wheaties on eBay.
  • Options
    vplitevplite Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭
    I think the original posting was a gag, but this is a good reference for anyone in doubt:

Link
    The Golden Rule: Those with the gold make the rules.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anything's possible. I've seen hoards and some people have seen UFOs image
  • Options
    jhusmanjhusman Posts: 1,082
    Looking at his feedback, I wouldn't be surprised if he starts selling autographed photos of Jessica Simpson, Tony Romo, and so on.

Is the profit really there to buy a ton of worn out old wheat cents, wrap them and salt in some semikeys, and deal with the shipping and everythign?
  • Options
    Is the profit really there to buy a ton of worn out old wheat cents, wrap them and salt in some semikeys, and deal with the shipping and everythign?

It would be at over 33 cents per coin (300 coins for $100+).

A few years ago I read an article in The Numismatist where a collector in the late '30's had actually done a study of the circulated cent population at the time.There was not a single key (SVDB or 14D) found on checking many thousands of coins. A few (very few) well-worn Indian cents were found.

Apparently, by the late '30's, there was quite a bit of awareness out there that "some of the pennies are better than others."

• Options
    Dawg144Dawg144 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If you have an auction number, someone else will post the link!

As for 6 rolls for a hundred bucks? I would only "consider" it if these were BU Rolls that were tightly wrapped with no evidence of tampering. >>

I would only consider buying if they were untampered BU rolls with early S-dates showing.
  • Options
    ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭
    This guy is doing what I did, a trulu unsearched SPOOF auction, right on, it's a good one
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
  • Options
    I bought some from another seller a few months ago as a test and one end on all of the "original" rolls was so loose it was obviously searched.

Got my money back.....
    Derek

Looking for reasonable silver lots (rolls or bars preferred). PM me with what you have.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file