Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

First time I got skunked roll searching- no copper coins in a $25 Fed Brick

The bank I get penny rolls for searching has had nothing but Fed $25 bricks the last few weeks- circulated coins, not new ones. Any way, this week was the first I received all zincolns! Not one copper and maybe a dozen 1982's at best. This box was stamped as coming from Harrisburg, PA in Dec.. I wonder will the Fed or whoever handles these coins start pulling the copper coins? I know I heard the Canadian gov't is doing it with their older coins. At least it looks like they were only looking for copper, as I did pull a 1998 Wide AM from the lot, it did cut down on the searching time as well- not having to sort the copper ones out like I usually do.

Comments

• Options
    Interesting, I think there was another thread not long ago that found the same thing, no copper.
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    I thought that with the rising price of other metals that the current cent is worth almost as much as the copper ones? Not sure why they would pull them especially with the cost of melting, splitting the metals etc...
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's pretty surprising, actually.
    The only time I would imagine not getting even 1 copper coin would be if you got a box of completely new coins....that's happened to me before. I still took them and didn't return them to the same bank as I didn't want to seem ungrateful nor ruin any privileges.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I thought that with the rising price of other metals that the current cent is worth almost as much as the copper ones? Not sure why they would pull them especially with the cost of melting, splitting the metals etc... >>

I have heard the Canadian government is doing it with all there older coins- withdrawing them and I think Coinstar is even helping. Which is something else I also noticed today while returning them- there wasn't a single Canadian cent in the lot either, while usually not that many, finding a few in these boxes is pretty common- or was in the past.
  • Options
    pb2ypb2y Posts: 1,461
    One hundred pounds of US copper coins has a
    face value of about $150 bucks. But the copper
    value is closer to $400.00 dollars. Copper runners
    to Canada and Mexico make an easy $50 bucks
    profit per 100 pounds and the junk copper dealer does better.
    Its the cheapest source of copper in the world
    outside of sacking a building. The US is only country
    left with a large number copper coins in circulation
    and they are vanishing fast.

• Options
    tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
    It's happened to me before on more than one occasion. I did get lucky though on one of those occasions and the only copper in the roll was a 36 wheatie. Odd...
  • Options
    TheRegulatorTheRegulator Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭
    That would be pretty disheartening and very shocking. Zincolns are still worth searching but most are in terrible shape.

<< <i>...and they are vanishing fast. >>

I've been serching rolls of cents pretty hard for the last couple months and see no signs of this whatsoever. On average, copper cents probably make up about 35-40% of all the cents serached.
    The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. -Thomas Jefferson
  • Options
    what do you do with them anyway?

You can t melt them
  • Options
    BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭

<< <i>what do you do with them anyway?

You can t melt them >>

put them in a sock and whack someone in the head

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
  • Options
    tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭

<< <i>put them in a sock and whack someone in the head >>

That's not nice. image
  • Options
    crispycrispy Posts: 792 ✭✭✭
    I just got a $25 brick of cents marked Harrisburg (Jan 04 2008) yesterday from my bank and I can see cents from the 60's on some of the ends. It wouldn't surprise me if they were pulling pre-82's but mine is dated after yours so go figure.
    "to you, a hero is some kind of weird sandwich..."
  • Options

<< <i>On average, copper cents probably make up about 35-40% of all the cents serached. >>

Impossible. Less than 15 percent of all Lincolns
    in circulation could be copper. Check the mintage numbers.
    It is near 8 to 2 plated over copper not counting the hoard issue.
    While your personal search may be correct, it does not come
    close to the true percentage.

• Options
    kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I just got a $25 brick of cents marked Harrisburg (Jan 04 2008) yesterday from my bank and I can see cents from the 60's on some of the ends. It wouldn't surprise me if they were pulling pre-82's but mine is dated after yours so go figure. >>

Interesting, will have to see how next weeks box comes out.

<< <i>what do you do with them anyway? >>

I have been searching for wide AM's and other error coins, but putting the copper ones aside, been able to sell them online for an average of 1.6 to 1.7 cents each, Doesn't sound like much, but one of biggest shipments was turning $200 into $350 by just sorting cents- was able to fit quite a few into those flat rate mail boxes- think it was $75, I don't ask what their doing with them...
  • Options
    Who knows maybe someones hoarding them for future melting or maybe the government passed the law so it gives them the opportunity to pull them off the market for their benefit? I read that article about the company that wanted to melt copper pennies in NN. Is there a machine that will separate these or must they do it by hand?
    Life member of the SSDC
  • Options
    BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭

<< <i>...maybe the government passed the law so it gives them the opportunity to pull them off the market for their benefit? >>

this wouldn't surprise me

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
  • Options
    ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭
    I am running at 17% copper since I started....have sorted about 3K so far in $25 boxes in 3 months
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
  • Options
    Gentlemen--you confuse me. Most of the 82 cents
    were copper also. The rarest of the year were the
    plated zinks. But those wind up in the same melting
    pot with the coppers. Copper hoarders are not particular.

• Options

<< <i>Who knows maybe someones hoarding them for future melting or maybe the government passed the law so it gives them the opportunity to pull them off the market for their benefit? I read that article about the company that wanted to melt copper pennies in NN. Is there a machine that will separate these or must they do it by hand? >>

machine isHERE

video of machine isHERE
  • Options
    The copper counters will never over take tens
    of thousands of eyes and fingers looking for
    copper coins. Before the rip machines die---
    the coppers are gone.

• Options
    Copper Lincolns are becoming more scarce. I'm not seeing as many as I used to. It wouldn't surprise me if the Fed is pulling them out of circulation, but also individuals are putting them back. I'm saving the pre-1982's and the 1982 coppers whenever I get them in change. If you have any interest in saving them, I'd be doing it now. image
  • Options
    They will eventually become the new " wheaties " and there will be some of us with buckets of them at face value........
  • Options

<< <i>They will eventually become the new " wheaties " and there will be some of us with buckets of them at face value........ >>

The old coppers will never again be worth less than face value.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file