Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Does (or did) PCGS place little round stickers on the slabs of coins that were submitted for but fai

I seem to recall reading somewhere long ago that PCGS marks coins that do not cross by placing a little round sticker (the size of a hole punch in a piece of paper) on the reverse of the submitted slab. Did PCGS do this? Does it still?

Comments

• Options
    I know of one firm that does this to indicate a coin is on the web site.
  • Options
    IGWTIGWT Posts: 4,975
    I think I'll mosey across the street to visit Conder101. image Edited to add: If I had to guess, I'd say that I probably read about the stickers in one of S. Travers' books.
  • Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭
    I don't think they do, but I've heard if you see an NGC holder with most of the hologram missing, its likely from crossing/resubmission attempts.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,449 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't think they do, but I've heard if you see an NGC holder with most of the hologram missing, its likely from crossing/resubmission attempts. >>

Not true. Dealers put stickers on the back of slabs all the time showing codes indicating what they paid and other information. These stickers sometimes pull the hologram off the slab when the dealer's sticker is removed.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭
    No. These are either seller price codes "Green dots $25, Blue dots $35" or used to identify who owns a coin when dealers share a table, or sometimes just which box or safe the coin goes in, or many other similar things.
    Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • Options
    I don't know. But I do have a NGC proof nickel the is a skyblue PF68*. I sent it
    to PCGS and it came back with a sticker covering the entire reverse of the slab.

There's several reasons on it for a coin not to cross and the Questionable Toning box
    is checked. I'll try to scan it tonight and show it.

Jerry
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭
    I've had failed crossovers that had no such sticker or any indicator on the slab.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    IGWTIGWT Posts: 4,975
    Aha! Here's what I remember reading:

"The coin(s) in question can be submitted (for a fee) via your dealer to NGC or PCGS using their Certified Pregrade or Crossover service. At NGC, the other service's slab is evaluated. Should NGC agree with the listed grade, the holder will be 'green-dotted' with a selfr-sticking removable coding label, indicating crossover acceptance. If NGC does not concur, a 'red-dot' coding label is applied. The dealer can indicate on the submission invoice whether to be called if "green-dotting" occurs for crossover into the NGC holder and how quickly he or she needs the coin(s) returned. If no instructions are given, the coin(s) is returned in its original holder."

A. Swiatek, "To Cross or Not to Cross, reprinted in S. Travers, How to Make Money in Coins Right Now at 294 (2d ed. 2001).

So, it is (or was) NGC, not PCGS, that used this procedure. But at least I'm not completely losing my mind.
  • Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,416 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have received "Body bags" from PCGS with the insert inside. The insert has a hole punched in it. That is probably what you are referring to.
    Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is September 5-7, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file