Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Trimmed or Miscut at factory

I have been burned a few times by cards that according to PSA were "evid. of trim". I've tried to do some studying on this and gathered that a card can be smaller than normal dimensions (factory miscut), but not necessarily trimmed. A trimmed or altered dimension card has a wavy ( in and out border) or some little "dog ear" at the very corner? Is that all I should be looking for? Thanks for your help

Comments

• Options
    It sort of depends on what year and issues you're talking about. There's certain things to look for on those different variables, like rough cuts and whatnot. I'm no expert on this however.
    "I've never been able to properly explain myself in this climate" -Raul Duke

ebay i.d. clydecoolidge - Lots of vintage stars and HOFers, raw, condition fully disclosed.
  • Options
    Thanks
  • Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    I've had good luck scanning at high resolution. If you scan high enough (1600 dpi+) it gets real easy to see if it's a factory cut or trimmed. I'm sure not everybody uses the same method to trim them, but all the trimmed ones I've seen have been pretty obvious under high magnification.

One card that is always rejected as trimmed is the 1968 opeechee stargell #86. I think it's almost always factory cut undersize, one of the OPC guys can tell you more.