Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How do you get boxes of presidential dollars?

I talked to this one dealer who claims to still be getting boxes of John Adams and George Washington Presidential Dollars from this bank every Wednesday. He claims the bank doesn't order them, but the Federal Reserve or the armoured car company just drops off the boxes every Wednesday and that is how he is gettng the boxes. I've called around to about 25 banks and they all claim that they can't order boxes anymore for the Washington and Adams and if I'm lucky maybe 1 in 4 banks will still have a few rolls laying around of each one. I have no real experience in getting boxes from banks and does anyone with experience know if it would still be possible to get boxes of Adams and Washingtons directly from the banks if they don't already have them in hand? I read before that the federal reserve sits on millions of sac dollars and other types of coins so I'm thinking that maybe the reserve releases some of these for distribution through the armoured car companies and ultimately to the banks every now and then. Is it unlikely this guy is really getting them and he is just pulling my leg?

Comments

• Options

<< <i>but the Federal Reserve or the armoured car company just drops off the boxes every Wednesday and that is how he is gettng the boxes >>

Solution is simple....stop the truck en route.....!!!!.....image
    ......Larry........image
  • Options
    I'll have to check with the bank I use.....I bet they still have some sitting in the vault.....
  • Options
    He is probably just in an area where the local distributer still has a lot of them on hand, be it Brinks or whomever. They did mint a gazillion of those, and they are out there somewhere.
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options
    Classof67Classof67 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭
    I just deposited an unopened box of ($1000) Washington's at my local branch!
    GREAT BST transactions with Wondercoin, segoja, moderncoinmart, notwilight, wingsrule, 123cents, fivecents, hunted, alohagary, ibzman350, WTCG, sonofagunk, amigo, coincoins, dcgolfer, chumley, nycounsel, tootawl, guitarwes, kimber45ACP, Zubie, Egger, RYK, 1tommy, EagleEye, NEFPROLLC, jmdm1194, Coinfolio
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    Why would you do that, was the lid stuck?
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    According to the manager at my local mega-bank branch, she orders one $1,000 box each time a new dollar design is released. When most are distributed to retail customers (and don’t come back) she orders another box, and can specify which president she wants. She can order more boxes at any time; however, they count against her daily cash which she has to keep within certain limits. In the past, most of the presidential dollars have not been distributed, and she sends back the leftovers.

She will order as many boxes as I want, with the understanding that I will not bring them back to her branch.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>but the Federal Reserve or the armoured car company just drops off the boxes every Wednesday and that is how he is gettng the boxes >>

Solution is simple....stop the truck en route.....!!!!.....image >>

This has been on my Christmas List for many years!

I want an Armored Car thats "Fully Loaded"! image
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    The Presidential Dollars are a little different than normal coinage, the Banks can actually order bricks from the fed reserve. That's how I get mine.

Normally they can only get new coinage through the armored car services who get it from the feds.
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Mint/Fed uses computer models to determine distribution of coinage, having little to do with actual usage. There could very well be mountains of unused Washingtons in some districts and have them all gone in others.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file