Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Crossovers from BVG to PSA - pretty even?

Just wondered how crossovers have gone from BVG to PSA. Is it generally pretty much the same, does PSA go a grade higher or lower than BVG would? Just looking at buying some to crossover but wondered what past crossover experiences have been??

Comments

• Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    Depends, I suppose. Where you going to crack and send the cards in raw? Based on most experiences here, crossovers have been pretty good provided you crack and submit. Then again, that's not really a cross-over I suppose.
  • I have no problem cracking and submitting if that gets the best result. I know every situation and card is different but in general have these crossed over pretty much the same? Looks like the last few examples I've read about have actually come back higher from PSA than they were as BVG... I just wondered if that was the norm?
  • You have to crack and submit to have any chance at a bump. I sent in a BGS 9.5 1986 Jordan Rookie and PSA would not cross it over. I just recently cracked out a '94 SP Alex Rodriguez BGS 8.5 and it came back an 8. I have also cracked a BGS 9.5 Griffey Rookie and it came back a PSA 10.
  • Charlie9Charlie9 Posts: 526 ✭✭
    Yeah I have worked with BGS crossovers but I am pretty unfamiliar with BVG and how they crossover so I'm looking for any experiences with those. Anyone?
  • GOODLIEUGOODLIEU Posts: 629 ✭✭
    I have been doing the opposite with my 1957 Topps Basketball set for a number of years now PSA to BVG. This is the PSA Set I have on the registry to monitor the results1957 Topps PSA and this is the set I have on Beckett 1957 Topps Beckett
  • VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    Goodlieu, do you submit these to PSA slabbed or do you crack first? When I had my horrible PSA to BVG cross yesterday I had cracked myself. Would you advise sending them in slabbed?
  • Charlie9Charlie9 Posts: 526 ✭✭
    Goodlieu - thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for. So at least for the bulk of yours it looks like about a .5 bump up from BVG to PSA with a few exceptions where the grade dropped .5 or so. I wonder if centering may have been the main issue on the ones that graded lower for PSA than they did for BVG? Thanks for the help.
    It all depends on the PSA grade. I would not crack a PSA 8 for instace as anybody who collects these cards knows that they are pretty expensive but when I send them in I indicate that I will take no less than a 7.5 on the crossover. All the other card PSA 7/6 and PSA 8 with a qualifier were cracked. I also sent in SGC/GAI/SCD (Original Red Label) with similar results. My worst exception was a GAI 7.5 cracked out that came back a BVG 5.5.
    Incidently in my opinion you will start to see vintage cards graded by PSA in the near future with their use of the 1/2 grade scale that at one time may have been graded a PSA 8 come back a PSA 7.5. Its the nature of the 1/2 grade system.
  • GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    I've cracked 2 BVG graded cards (a Cracker Jack common, can't remember who, and a Wilson Frank Schoendienst). Both dropped 2 grades. Another (a Wilson Frank Jablonski) stayed the same.
    The few times I see them on the sets I collect I generally bid at the value of a 2 grade drop- assuming the card even looks good to begin with.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• I cracked out 5 BVG and got a bump any were from .5 to a whole grade.
    when i say .5 I mean BVG 6.5 to a PSA 7. and 7's to 8's.

I guess it depends on the person grading.
    Bill
    looking for PELLE LINDBERGH's psa and 1960 fleer baseball psa 8 and up
    sets in progress
    R.I.P. Barstow 24 April 1999 - May 15 2009
    If it helps, here are my recent (just a few weeks ago) GAI/BGS crack+resubmits. Everything came out pretty even, +/- .5, with the exception of the Roy OPC, but that's a special case which sort of evens out as well.

• EstilEstil Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭✭
    Why can't we go back to the good ol' days (late 1990s-early 2000s) of BGS being a whole grade tougher than PSA? image You know, back when a BGS 9=PSA 10?
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P+S, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 61D, 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • A couple of months back, I sent in a BVG 4.5 and got a PSA 6! image

I actualy cracked the card out of the BVG case first, and then sent in in raw, and got that 6 image

I think if I were to send it in with the BVG holder, it probably would have came back a PSA 5.

It was a 1934 Goudey #79 Eddie Durham, by the way. I have the pisture of the card in both holders.

Giovanni
  • msassinmsassin Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Yeah I have worked with BGS crossovers but I am pretty unfamiliar with BVG and how they crossover so I'm looking for any experiences with those. Anyone? >>

Not much experience, but I remember a BVG 6 Leaf Johnny Mize ended up in a PSA 7 holder.
  • jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I sent in several of the earlier BVG cards with the subgrades to PSA. All came back with higher grades. I had a 56 Mantle go from a BVG 4.5 to a PSA 7.
    James

• << <i>I sent in several of the earlier BVG cards with the subgrades to PSA. All came back with higher grades. I had a 56 Mantle go from a BVG 4.5 to a PSA 7.
    James >>

Yep! image

Giovanni
  • Many responses have confirmed what i already thought, BVG is at least as tough as PSA. However, most PSA' ns will never admit this, and usually are quick to bash BVG/BGS. Hmmmmmmmmm.......very interesting.
    "You must understand the difference in things that are similar, and the similarity of things that are different"

• Its not so much the grading of BGS/BVG that causes the issues. Its the slabbing of trimmed cards.

I know for a fact there were at least three nice Vintage cards that were subbed to PSA 3 times and rejected as trimmed then subbed to BGS and ended up encased with 2 8s and a 7.5. These were destroyed by a fire in late 2006. The 62 Mantle that came back 7.5 was an obvious hack job.

<< <i>Its not so much the grading of BGS/BVG that causes the issues. Its the slabbing of trimmed cards.

I know for a fact there were at least three nice Vintage cards that were subbed to PSA 3 times and rejected as trimmed then subbed to BGS and ended up encased with 2 8s and a 7.5. These were destroyed by a fire in late 2006. The 62 Mantle that came back 7.5 was an obvious hack job. >>

Yeah, but to be fair, BVG has also rejected two cards I sent in as "trimmed", but was subsequently regraded by PSA without any problems. The Parent below came back as a PSA 7. The other card was a '68 Orr from the same set.

• << <i>Its not so much the grading of BGS/BVG that causes the issues. Its the slabbing of trimmed cards.

I know for a fact there were at least three nice Vintage cards that were subbed to PSA 3 times and rejected as trimmed then subbed to BGS and ended up encased with 2 8s and a 7.5. These were destroyed by a fire in late 2006. The 62 Mantle that came back 7.5 was an obvious hack job. >>

perfect point....when beckett gets a nontrimmed card, they do a decent job grading it....but its the trimmed cards they let through that crushed them for me...

• << <i>

<< <i>Its not so much the grading of BGS/BVG that causes the issues. Its the slabbing of trimmed cards.

perfect point....when beckett gets a nontrimmed card, they do a decent job grading it....but its the trimmed cards they let through that crushed them for me... >>

Yeah, But This can be said about BOTH companies did n't anybody see the thread started yesterday where a board member cracked out 14 Psa graded cards sent them to BVG and 4 were not holdered due to being restored? It got barried pretty quick so here's a link LINKY

Not one of these companies are perfect and anybody who thinks different is fooling themselves. There humans just like everone else and will make a mistake from time to time. If you go to the SGC boards they dog out PSA and BVG. You go to these boards some dog out BVG you go to the beckett boards some may dog out PSA and SGC.

Just like if you go to a corvette forum do you actually think anybody is going to talk up mustangs over there? Does this mean mustangs are all garbage? cause a corvette guy said so?