Home PSA Set Registry Forum

need help determining if these deserve a bump

any input out there would be appreciated. any of these deserve a bump? thanks, gil

Comments

• The Clemente looks really good in your scans.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • scan them on a black background.
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I can't see the corners, however the centering on all looks great. I'd give them a shot.

Good luck.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • bud

try scanning them with the scanner bed open in the dark and crop them as tight as possible or maybe do them 2 at a time. Just cant tell from here
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From the scans I think the Clemente's are deserving of a bump, tough call on the Koufax and Baur. Best of luck!
  • JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.

<< <i>From the scans I think the Clemente's are deserving of a bump, tough call on the Koufax and Baur. Best of luck! >>

I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    I'd vote for the '60 Clemente only. The '61 looks slightly tilted.

Ron
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Ron beat me to it. I'd take the chance on the '60 Clemente also.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards

<< <i>I'd vote for the '60 Clemente only. The '61 looks slightly tilted.

Ron >>

Will be interesting to see if "slight tilts" keep cards from bumping a half grade, even when the centering still falls into the high end of the PSA 8 scale.

We really won't know for about 6 more months..I sent some in on my half grade review sub with slight tilts. I'll be sure to post the results of what gets bumped and what doesn't (specifically WHY they did or did not get bumps..lol).

Jason
  • mbothnermbothner Posts: 761 ✭✭✭
    I would send in anything with 50/50 centering for a bump. I think that is going to be the biggest factor. That is what will set a half grade ahead of other cards in the grade. As far as the corners, a PSA 7 is going to have some wear. It is not a PSA 8. And the same for PSA 8's.
    My thinking is that cards bumping the half grade will need to be exceptional in at least 2 categories. Centering, Corners, Surface/print/toning, Edges...JUST having PSA 9 or better qualities in one of those categories probably won't be enough in most cases. While PSA doesn't subgrade on the flips, they use the same process. So if you have 50/50 centering, you'll also need either PSA 9 quality corners (if it had this with 50/50 centering I would bet you could pull a full grade bump), or have very good color/low on print spots, or have flawless edging.

We'll know in a few weeks...lol

Jason
  • shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭✭
    The Clementes both look to have decent shots. I don't think so on the others.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • I would wait on submitting for bump review until we see some online and in person that were bumped. Otherwise, you might be wasting your money. The only one getting rich here is PSA. The same thing happened with coins when submissions were down and MS in between grades were invented. The dealers had fun with that episode and I fear that the same will happen again for the big submitters and dealers, and not the little guy.

I also would suggest going to a major show and having a PSA dealer lend his opinion. Then again be prepared for a sales pitch. Alan Rosen is back in business at the front door.

<< <i>I would wait on submitting for bump review until we see some online and in person that were bumped. Otherwise, you might be wasting your money. The only one getting rich here is PSA. The same thing happened with coins when submissions were down and MS in between grades were invented. The dealers had fun with that episode and I fear that the same will happen again for the big submitters and dealers, and not the little guy.

I also would suggest going to a major show and having a PSA dealer lend his opinion. Then again be prepared for a sales pitch. Alan Rosen is back in business at the front door. >>

My submission went out yesterday. Nice sampling of 60 cards, some locks for the half point, others probably unlikely. For me, nothing better than having an "in hand" source to judge future cards against as to what they are looking for and what they are not. Other than centering, it's going to be tough to tell the difference between an 8 and an 8.5 or a 7 and a 7.5 just using a typical ebay scan. I plan on using the service more in the future as this is the time when you can still find PSA 8.5 cards in PSA 8 holders. A couple of years from now, most 8.5 worthy cards will already be in the holders. Of course, I am only talking about cards worth sending in. A $20 PSA 8 isn't going increase in value enough to be worth the grading fees to go to 8.5. But a $500 PSA 8 that sells for $3,000 in PSA 9 is worth the grading fee gamble.

Problem with consulting with dealers is that many of them are more concerned with helping YOU only if it's going to help THEM in some kinda way. The opinions you receive will usually be heavily weighted towards their own agenda. Make sure you find a dealer that you TRUST won't try and tell you whatever it takes to put a few dollars in their pocket. Never forget, when it becomes their business before their hobby, money will be the primary objective.

Jason
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Jason good luck. Lets us know how you make out.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • The 1961 is a bump, the other 3 are lucky to live where they do
  • bxbbxb Posts: 805 ✭✭
    I would submit them all except the Bauer (too much tilt).

They are all potential big money if upgraded so I think it is worth a chance.

I agree that centering will be the biggest factor in determining which cards get an upgrade - in fact the latest issue of SMR states as much.
    Capecards