Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

We've got poppage...and a PSA 9 Jordan rookie!!!

I'm so stoked. I pulled this Jordan from a pack back in 1986 when they were still $0.50. I finally got the nerve up to send it in earlier this month. Woo hoo! imageimageimageimageimage

PSA Order Status for Submission # 4652169

LINE # CERT # CARD CARD CO. CARD # CARD NAME VARIETY GRADE
1 11288667 1986 FLEER 57 MICHAEL JORDAN N/A 9
2 11288668 1959 TOPPS 51 SAM HUFF N/A 7
3 11288669 1994 BOWMAN 29 JORGE POSADA BLUE 10

Date Received: 01/18/2008
Date of Grades Posted: 01/30/2008
Date Shipped: No Date Specified

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."

Comments

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    Way to go on the MJ!
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    major congrats on the MJ!!! image
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    If you had a Jordan that nice, whether it came back as an 8 or 9, why didn't you have the "nerve" to send it in? Just curious. Great grade though, congrats.
  • Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    Nice job on the Jordan!
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If you had a Jordan that nice, whether it came back as an 8 or 9, why didn't you have the "nerve" to send it in? Just curious. Great grade though, congrats. >>

I had the card in a penny sleeve in a screwdown for years. Prior to that, it was naked in the screwdown, also for years. I lucked out because I had a few cards that were ruined because the corners stuck to the plastic and took some of the color off. Anyway, back to your question, I never had any intention of selling it, so I never really felt compelled to have it graded. A card of that value I worried about damaging in the transition from screwdown to Card Saver, getting lost in the mail, or being damaged by a grader. These are all REMOTE possibilities, but when you're not planning to sell the card anyway, they creep into your mind. Needless to say, I'm glad I finally sent it in.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Good work!!!!

Ron
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,554 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thats awesome! I bet that is the best 50 cents you ever spent!
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>3 11288669 1994 BOWMAN 29 JORGE POSADA BLUE 10 >>

Have you noticed that the cert verification and the registry (and the submission results page) have been kinda weird with the set names lately?
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    Nice job on the MJ! Always nice to have a $1200 card pop on a submission. image

I'm interested in that PSA 7 Sam Huff if you don't need it. Shoot me a pm if it's available.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Andrew great job!!

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>3 11288669 1994 BOWMAN 29 JORGE POSADA BLUE 10 >>

Have you noticed that the cert verification and the registry (and the submission results page) have been kinda weird with the set names lately? >>

very weird..very bad....on my collectors showcase Pujols set, they shortened the card names...especially Fleer...it looks like i have 100 fleer cards, when really there are about 30 different fleer cards from that year..fleer showcase, fleer platinum, fleer premium etc etc.....

very bad change they made i hope its a glitch....

PS .AWESOME GRADE ON THE JORDAN
  • Options
    DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    Sweet card! Congrats

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    The Huff, at least in my estimation, is 8.5 material, so I'm gonna give it another shot. It's dead centered with great corners, so the 7 is a head scratcher. But I can't complain. Here's the Huff auction/scan:

Raw Huff

I didn't even notice that at first on the Posada. Weird.
  • Options

<< <i>I'm so stoked. I pulled this Jordan from a pack back in 1986 when they were still $0.50. I finally got the nerve up to send it in earlier this month. Woo hoo! imageimageimageimageimage

PSA Order Status for Submission # 4652169

LINE # CERT # CARD CARD CO. CARD # CARD NAME VARIETY GRADE
    1 11288667 1986 FLEER 57 MICHAEL JORDAN N/A 9
    2 11288668 1959 TOPPS 51 SAM HUFF N/A 7
    3 11288669 1994 BOWMAN 29 JORGE POSADA BLUE 10

Date Received: 01/18/2008
    Date of Grades Posted: 01/30/2008
    Date Shipped: No Date Specified >>

Will u post a scan when you receive it? Would love to see the Jordan!
  • Options

<< <i>Will u post a scan when you receive it? Would love to see the Jordan! >>

Absolutely.
  • Options
    thats one heck of a nice 7. geez!
  • Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭

<< <i>The Huff, at least in my estimation, is 8.5 material, so I'm gonna give it another shot. It's dead centered with great corners, so the 7 is a head scratcher. But I can't complain. Here's the Huff auction/scan:

Raw Huff

I didn't even notice that at first on the Posada. Weird. >>

Damn... $50 raw for that card. Sure is a beauty. And if it had made an 8 holder it would have been worth every penny. Funny thing is the seller lists it as "card is NM". Guess they were right. image

I would resub that bad boy as well. I'm hoping to get a 7. I don't want to pay $175 for a PSA 8 so a 7 will have to do. ANything is nicer than the PSA 5 I have now. image
  • Options
    Great grade on the Jordan and good timing with him heading to the Hall soon.
  • Options
    jamesryanbelljamesryanbell Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭
    Rockin' on the MJ!!! 9 is nice!!
    -- Ryan Bell
  • Options
    Tombo, I have a 1987 pack ripped Jordan that I only recently submitted. (PSA 9 oc) Sat in the sock drawer in a screwdown for near twenty years. Although I had sent many old and valuable cards (well worn) to be graded, this one I was most paranoid about. I was afraid it would get dinged or scratched by me or PSA once out of the case.
  • Options
    Here's the scan as promised...
  • Options
    Nice looking Jordan rookie!!!! image

Giovanni
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Superb RC!

Did you pull it out of a pack? Still a show stopper after all these years.

Thanx for sharing
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    You got it Mike. Pulled from a $0.50 pack back in 1986. Man if only I'd known then what I know now, I would never have stopped collecting after I completed one set!
  • Options
    bluemarlinbluemarlin Posts: 627 ✭✭✭
    SWEEEEEEEEEET!

Jake
  • Options

<< <i>You got it Mike. Pulled from a $0.50 pack back in 1986. Man if only I'd known then what I know now, I would never have stopped collecting after I completed one set! >>

When I was stationed in St Louis in the late 80s, there was a candy/card distributor who was blowing out boxes for 9 bucks - nobody wanted them! No - didn't buy any - did not collect basketball back then.

Incredible? image
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Ialso just got Jordan rc back from another Co. 9 also.I will put a scan on tomorrow.My meds are really beating my butt rightnow,and there is quiet a bit to KICK!

Lou
    Collecting Roberto Clemente and Willie Stargell cards.
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    gorgeous card, well done image
  • Options
    JeremyDie1JeremyDie1 Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭
    Congrats!! A solid looking PSA 9!!!!
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    Very nice 9 right there.
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭✭
    So I guess the question now is, are you going to keep the Jordan or ching ching ching cash in on that 9? I mean, 9's go for some good coin too you know.
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭
    andy
    that MJ is awesome........Maybe it could bump to a 9.5 aw shucks...they don't have 9.5's
    The huff is certainly 0.5 better if not an 8.
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    Tedw9Tedw9 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭

<< <i>So I guess the question now is, are you going to keep the Jordan or ching ching ching cash in on that 9? I mean, 9's go for some good coin too you know. >>

I hope he keeps the Jordan. If I pulled that card as a kid and still had it, I would keep it. It would mean too much to me. But thats just me, I guess I'm sentimental. image

Either way, that is one kick butt card, congrats to you!
    Looking for Carl Willey items.
  • Options
    Ted, you took the words out of my mouth. Aside from the obvious value of the card, it has quite a bit of sentimental value to me, so I'm definitely keeping it!
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭✭
    You sound like a winner in my book.image
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    I hate parting with cards - whether pulled or purchased.

I'm a collector - don't sell on ebay - it's like giving up the family pet!

mike
    Mike