Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

HELP! with a Counterstamped United Daughters of the confederacy Stone mountain commem.

fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
Does this counterstamped Stone Mountain half have any connection to the United Daughters of the Confederacy counterstamped Stone Mountain half. I used to own one and this LEL counterstamp has the same block style lettering.
Thanks for any and all opinions.

Comments

• Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,587 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not an expert, but I have owned a few of these. It does look very similar to the counterstamped coins issued by the Stone Mountain Association, but I don't think it is related. All of the ones I've seen have had a state abbreviation and a serial number, I can't think of any with just letters. Also the style of the "L" does not match that used in the officially issued counterstamps - here's a pic of one NGC later certified with the correct font:

I have the email address of a collector who is working on updating the Adna Wilde census of counterstamped SMHs, I bet he'd like to see a picture of that coin, I'll send it to you via PM as soon as I find it.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,590 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like someone with a letter punch set and some free time on their hands.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

<< <i>Also the style of the "L" does not match that used in the officially issued counterstamps - here's a pic of one NGC later certified with the correct font: >>

I know some of the counterstamped STN MTN halves had a L that was issued to state Legislaters.

<< <i>Looks like someone with a letter punch set and some free time on their hands. >>

A lot of people told me the same thing when they saw my UDC counterstamped STN MTN half. Boy am I glad I didn't listen to them. Cha....Ching!!!image
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,587 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Also the style of the "L" does not match that used in the officially issued counterstamps - here's a pic of one NGC later certified with the correct font: >>

I know some of the counterstamped STN MTN halves had a L that was issued to state Legislaters. >>

The "SL" and "GL" counterstamps were done at the same time as the state abbreviations and serial numbers, here's another one I cherried a while back with both the "LA" and "GL" stamps, you can see they're from the same punch:

The "UDC" stamped coins are reportedly very scarce, I bet you did well with that one. Any chance you still have a picture?

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options

<< <i>The "UDC" stamped coins are reportedly very scarce, I bet you did well with that one. Any chance you still have a picture? >>

No picture Sean sorry. It was UDC ALA Chapter 260.
  • Options
    njcoincranknjcoincrank Posts: 1,066 ✭✭
    Sean,

Please pm me.

njcoincrank
    www.numismaticamericana.com
  • Options
    DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭
    "Colonel Jim" Harris of Mississippi is an expert on these coins. PM me for his contact information.

• Options
    njcoincranknjcoincrank Posts: 1,066 ✭✭
    Dentuck,

Please pm me.

njcoincrank
    www.numismaticamericana.com
  • Options
    I beleive my UDC half was chapter 220 and not 270.

Thanks Dentuck!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file