Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Calling LordM! And All Other Coin Detectives!

I have been going through a leather pouch of coins that a friend from work has had for several years. He picked them up in the basement of a house he was helping demo back in the 70's. He knows nothing about them and asked me to take a look. Most of the pouch was Great Britain, Belgium, France, and German from WWII and before. I have the World Cat. for the 20th century but need help IDing some of these and getting values on others. So any and all help will be greatly appreciated. So without further fanfare here are some puzzles for your puzzler:

imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage

Comments

• Options
    Top row, two Chinese cash coins, probably 19th-early 20th Century, and a Showa 37 (1962) brass Japanese ¥5, Y#72a, 126,700,000 mintage, nominal value.
    Roy

• Options
    newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭
    Second row, right, is a very badly beaten Italian copper of Vittorio Emanuele II, 5 centesimi, I think.
  • Options
    BTW, the Chinese cash coins are upside down.
    Roy

• Options
    2nd Row left, Liege 2 Liards 1750-1752
  • Options
    OmegaOmega Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭
    Wow, you guys are good!

<< <i>BTW, the Chinese cash coins are upside down. >>

I noticed that when I went to look them up after your first reply...image

Thanks everyone. Maybe we can solve them all before LordM shows up??

I am real curious about the medal at the bottom but cannot find anything on it.
  • Options
    3rd row 1896 A 1 mark (Germany) and a 1792D 12 Deniers (France) The one mark is a 5-10 dollar coin if I remember correctly and I would guess and the French is probably about 5 bucks.
    4th row is another German coin an 1876- picture is to blurry to see the mintmark 2 pfennig. The mintmark is a small letter on either side of the eagles tail feathers. Unless it is an E, G or an H mintmark in that condition maybe a dollar.

The medal is cool, the one side translates to "it blesses that" and the other is something along the lines of "God loves the fair" I am not familiar of who that is pictured but I am sure someone will recognize who and give you a time frame of his death for an approximate date for that medal.

Rick

Edited to add price guesstimates (no current catalog handy)
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Freedom is a well armed lamb contesting that vote. Benjamin Franklin - 1779

1836 Capped Liberty
    dime. My oldest US
    detecting find so far.
    I dig almost every
    signal I get for the most
    part. Go figure...
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool stuff. I think they pretty much nailed everything except the medal down before I got here, right?

Can't help much on it, I'm afraid.

Funny how often those Italian 5-centesimi (and their bigger 10-centesimi cousins, to a lesser degree) are found beaten to death like that. I have often wondered why. From the 1860s up into the 1920s, the low-denomination Italian copper coins got bashed around incredibly.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.