Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

No Gauranteed turnaround grading time anymore

Hello everyone
Did everyone notice that in addition to the new grading prices and rules effictive Jan 14 2008, that PSA also eliminated the guaranteed grading times? In Joe Orlando's letter to everyone he somehow forgot to mention that fact. The new forms state the grading time of 5 days, 10 days ect., however above that its says estimated. On Jan 10th 2008 I submitted an order for the 5 day service at $30 per card. PSA received the cards on Jan 12 2008 according to the post office, but PSA did not input them until Jan 21 2008. Now today Jan 29th the grades are still not completed 13 business days after they received the cards. I called PSA in regards to the delay and they stated that they are behind on grading. I told the person I understand that can happen and asked for the guaranteed 5 day grading police free grades. She then told me as of Jan 14th they were no longer honoring that policy. So the bottom line is I paid $30 per card for a 5 day grading that after 13 days is still not complete, and PSA is saying to bad we are not going to honor our gaurantee! This is very poor customer service!!! It's really sad to see the poor service lately, the inconsistent grading and PSA changing the entire grading system with .5 grades like they promised they would never do. I have been an avid PSA supporter for the past 10 years, just like PSA is changing; I guess its time for me to make a change in my grading company! Everyone please let me know your thoughts.
Thanks Kevin
Always buying 1986 Topps Football PSA 10's and BGS 9.5 even commons! Top dollars paid!!

Comments

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Kevin they have not had guaranteed turn around times for quite some while, they were "approximate" and now are 'estimated'

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    bxbbxb Posts: 805 ✭✭
    I share your concerns.
    Capecards
  • Options
    If they accepted your order on the 12th and the "turnaround guarantee" was taken away on the 14th then it would seem they still owe you the guaranteed turnaround time. Convincing them that they owe you is the going to be the tough part. Rick
    "I CAN'T COMPLAIN BUT SOMETIMES I STILL DO" - SMOKY JOE WALSH - - -
    Always looking for 53 Topps Baseball and "stuff"
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    Why even bother having service levels? With their rules on what cards and service levels can be submitted it seems like it should make it easier to process these orders not harder. I don't see why anyone would use their faster service at higher cost levels at this point.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    If the customer service remains the same, and being behind in grading continues, while other companies build a credible alternative through better customer service and guaranteed turnarounds, it will eventually affect their business. It might take 5 years, who knows, but it will happen.

This stuff catches up with all types of businesses eventually. Hopefully they'll get it right.

Ron
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    gaspipe26gaspipe26 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭
    If you cant make it in 5 then once you pass the next level of service you should be reimbursed.
  • Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Why even bother having service levels? With their rules on what cards and service levels can be submitted it seems like it should make it easier to process these orders not harder. I don't see why anyone would use their faster service at higher cost levels at this point. >>

I agree w/ you! The only reason I submit under a higher level is because I have to because of the value of the card. Otherwise, I'll submit at the bulk level and take my chances. Screw paying $13 per card and waiting a month to have it graded. I'd much rather pay $5 and wait an additional month. If paying $13 per card, you're essentially paying for expediated service that may or may not occur. Why pay a premium price if you won't receive premium service??? Makes no sense.

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Devil's advocate: if you pay $13/card for estimated 5 day service, and it winds up being 10-15 days instead, you're still getting a (cheaper) better deal than if you pay $15 for 10 day service, which now is no longer guaranteed.

I'm not saying I agree with this, but it is a counterargument.

Ron
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    Without question if a company is looking to receive a higher price for grading a card in a shorter time frame they need to provide that service. If they don't provide the service they shouldn't take the extra money! This is not a difficult call. If they are to busy to get the better price.... they simply need to charge a lesser amount depending on the time frame it takes them to grade the cards!

I can already see the devil's advocates on this one saying...... so if they get a 45 day bulk submission done in 10 days PSA should be able to charge more! To this I say: "not at all". If PSA is completing a 45 day bulk submission in less than 45 days at the same time they are not completing a 5 or 10 day submission then they are simply not organizing their priorities properly!

In no way should any offer of 5 or 10 day service be offered at such a higher price than the bulk service if that service is not going to be satisfied on a consistant basis. Accept the times your not getting the job done in a timely fashion and give the customers a break by not forcing them to pay for something they didn't receive! If a company chooses to make customers pay for something they didn't receive.... no doubt this will hurt the company in the long run (if it's happening on a consistant basis!).

It is clearly a poor business decision to work on the premis that if the company doesn't get it done in time it's to bad for the customers!

Sadly I've seen this happening all to many times lately (within the service sector of many companies). I've simply made the decision to avoid doing business with companies that don't provide quality service on a consistant basis.

In no way am I inferring that PSA provides unsatisfactory cusomer service on a consitant basis. Quite the contrary, I've received quality customer service on a consistant basis from PSA. That's why I continue to do business with them.

Sorry to hear of your submission problems "Elitecards"..... perhaps a friendly conversation with Joe or the manager of customer service might go a long way in resolving the delay you seem to be having with your submission? If this were happening on a majority of your 5 and 10 day submissions this would be a serious problem! However, if it is an isolated incident then I'd have to say these things happen from time to time and you should simply let the customer service department help by speed up the process on this delay in this instance...... image
  • Options
    I've submitted cards to Beckett, PSA, and SGC over the past 5 years! By far..and I mean by far.... PSA has the worst customer service and turnarounds. If their cards didn't bring a premium over SGC and Beckett I would bail in a heartbeat and start sending more of my cards to the competitors! For me... SGC has had the fastest turnarounds, most accurate grading, and best customer service of the three over that timespan... Plus, I collect coins and SGC doesn't grade them which is a negative!! Just my humble opinion!
    Paul
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    well since the value of the card/s determines the service level in most cases, then its easier for them to drop the guarantee on the time. ie if your card has a declared value of over $2000, then your only option is to send it under the super express level. now they say it should pop in 2 days but you have submitt at this level or higher for a $2000 card, higher service has roughly the same time frame. why anyone would submit a $100 under any service level higher than maybe regular is beyond my mind. however, if you submit say 5 cards at the regular. now if your sub took over a month to pop at the regular level, vs the 10 day level I can see complaining. As someone that submits 10 cards via the new bulk pays $10 per and should be getting a pop in about a month.

however, if they allowed you to pay the $30 fee vs the $35 for express service and your sub did get there on 1/12 I would think that in their best interests they would adhere to the old time lines as well. they are adhering to the old pricing. i would assume the value of your cards determined the service not the turnaround time.

i would say that overall they are better off droping the guarantee from a business model side as well as customer service side. why you ask. well this way people arent as pissed when they see someones bulk sub pop in a week and their sub that might have been at the same or higher level (entered in before the other persons) still isnt done.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's