Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Ok boys, git yer grading eye out and tell me if these deserve bumpage.....REVIEW GRADES ARE IN..SCAN

Exhibit A:

Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items

Comments

• Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Exhibit B:

Ron Burgundy

Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    i would send them both if looking to resell.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,525 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It depends on how tight they want the centering maybe?
  • Options
    Exhibit C:

Ron Burgundy

• Options
    Exhibit D:

Ron Burgundy

• Options
    bumpage to 9's, without a doubt 8.5's. Theyre gorgeous!
  • Options
    msassinmsassin Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭
    I'd crack and resubmit the Skowron. Not sure on the Robinson and Cepeda because of centering.
  • Options
    Last one.

Ron Burgundy

• Options
    bluemarlinbluemarlin Posts: 627 ✭✭✭
    Looks like the photographer caught Mr. Robinson before he was gonna sneeze.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,525 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Looks like the photographer caught Mr. Robinson before he was gonna sneeze. >>

• Options
    I think the Brooks stays the 8.

Cepeda is a possibility.

I would not try it unless selling them.

Beautiful cards Ron.

Dave D.
  • Options
    A, C and last one will get the .5
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    The Moose is the best candidate for the .5 bump.

The others, I guess not so much.

We will ALL know ALOT more about what it takes, late next month.

In the first round, I am ONLY sending near-perfectly centered cards.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    That Skowron is a beau! How strict the centering PSA judges is crucial. But I think Skowron should be almost for sure.
    Collecting 1955 Topps BB
  • Options
    That Skowron should be real close to a 9...that's a no brainer. I wouldn't touch the B.Robby or O.Cepeda, they look like 8s to me. I might take a chance on the Baseball Thrills cards as those are close it seems at first glance....although, they are close to the centering on the first two. Personally, I send in the Skowron and the Mantle "Thrills". If the Moose comes back an 8.5 and the Mantle stays at 8 then you don't submit the others. But, if you pull a 9 and an 8.5...I send the rest in.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree about the Skowron. It's a definite bump. That is a beautiful lot of 58s!
  • Options
    I'd say exhibit C for sure. I don't know about the left/right centering on the rest. Those may not be at the high end of 8's centering specs.
    "I've never been able to properly explain myself in this climate" -Raul Duke

ebay i.d. clydecoolidge - Lots of vintage stars and HOFers, raw, condition fully disclosed.
  • Options
    mandeldmandeld Posts: 350 ✭✭
    I'd try all of them except for Exhibit B.
    Successful transactions with: vintagetoppsguy, packman, barndog, Big80s, MurphDawg, BrackAttack, mealeworm, Publius, Whiteshoes, bigredone, rube26105, ledsters, reelinintheyears, digicat, themetalsign, OSClabs, 1420sports, bighurt2000, MeteoriteGuy, lsutigers1973, skier07, Machodoc, gameusedhoop, tennesseebanker, Downtown1974, CGeorge, Salinas, corvette1340, lbcoach20, initialD, IJustLoveCards, TedSimmonsFan, Goldlabels, Lothar52, bigred1, Bosox1976, itzagoner, svtPONY95
  • Options

<< <i>I'd try all of them except for Exhibit B. >>

SWEET looking cards, Ron!
  • Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    The Skowron is worthy, those borders are glow they're so white and the centering is excellent.

"Molon Labe"

• Options
    Nice cards!!!! Come on all you expert eagle eye graders out there....doesnt anyone see the light "snow" on Skowrons cap??? Im not saying it will never be in a 9 holder but the head grader seems to be a stickler with PD. Good luck to ya on the bumps.
  • Options
    cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    Yeah Skowron does have a little snow on his hat.

I think they all have great shots at 8.5.
    If I was your grader, that's what I'd give them. They all appear, at least looking at the scans, as high-end within their grade. Maybe even bump your Mantle to a 9.

Also centering on every card is 9 worthy. Most are at least 45/55 at worse. The Mantle t-b is the most off-center and it looks to be 43/57 t-b, maybe slightly better.

You'd like me as your grader.

Superb cards Ron.
  • Options
    I agree the snow is keeping Skowron at an 8.

I do think A, E have a shot at the bump. Send them all this would be a good test to see what cards get the bump... hopefully they will do some type of bump special next month.
  • Options
    mantle for sure is a 9
  • Options
    Ron if my memory serves me correctly these cards were displayed by you a while ago when you received them back from PSA as part of a group that you had picked up raw at a show or from a private seller I cant recall? I think now what I thought than that they are awesome cards and were defintely borderline 9's. I think that you should defintely submit them for review as they are a good barometer for this new grading scale. In fact I think a couple of them may get the full bump to a 9.
  • Options
    Guys,

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it. I picked these out last night as possible "test cases", and it is correct that these are all recent submissions some of which I thought had shots at 9's.

My own thoughts are no on the Brooks, maybe on Cepeda, yes on Skowron (8.5, it's a 9 to me but PSA won't do it due to light snow), maybe on Colavito, and yes on Mantle (possible 9).

There's one more I forgot to scan and will post it tonight! Good chance I'll send all of these to PSA and report back on the boards what happens!

Best,

Ron
    Ron Burgundy

• Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    Are you going to crack/resub, or send them in for review?
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    I'm going to try the review service first, taking PSA at their word that there is no need to crack and since there's no danger of the grades going down. If none of them bump I doubt I will crack and resubmit.

Ron
    Ron Burgundy

• Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    I see no danger of any of them pulling a 7 or 7.5, so I would crack and resubmit and hope one or two pull a 9.
  • Options
    All of these were sent in recently for review. Poopage should be coming soon. Results will be very interesting.

Ron
    Ron Burgundy

• Options
    chaz43chaz43 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭
    The first two if backs are clean - PSA 8.5. The rest no. chaz
  • Options
    The Brooks and Cepeda have corner/centering issues, and the Moose has snow, so I say no on those. I predict the Colavito and Mantle will get bumped, and one or both of them by a full grade.
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    A. No- The left edge looks like it has a few spots and corners.
    B- No- Upper left corner
    C- Yes- maybe full grade bump.
    D- Yes
    E- Yes

Ron I would send them all in though, maybe slip 1 or two beat 8's into the mix to help calibrate your grader.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    Here are the results (along with some others). Those of you who predicted the Brooks wouldn't bump have a great eye. Pretty happy with these, I felt all along the Colavito and Mantle cards were 9 quality, and PSA agreed. One thing is clear - if a card has even minimal print, like the Skowron, it ain't gettin' bumped no matter how smoking the centering and corners are.

1 1 07308967 NEAR MINT-MINT+ 8.5 1957 TOPPS 76 BOB CLEMENTE Card US
    2 1 07311780 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1958 TOPPS 307 BROOKS ROBINSON Card US
    3 1 07311778 NEAR MINT-MINT+ 8.5 1958 TOPPS 343 ORLANDO CEPEDA Card US
    4 1 07284917 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1959 TOPPS 468 SNIDER'S PLAY BRINGS L.A. VICTORY Card US
    5 1 07284915 MINT 9 1959 TOPPS 462 COLAVITO'S GREAT CATCH SAVES GAME Card US
    6 1 07284916 MINT 9 1959 TOPPS 461 MANTLE HITS 42nd HOMER FOR CROWN Card US
    7 1 04767544 NEAR MINT 7 1952 TOPPS 64 ROY SIEVERS BLACK BACK Card US
    8 1 07311781 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1958 TOPPS 240 MOOSE SKOWRON Card US
    9 1 04719346 NEAR MINT 7 1963 TOPPS 325 JACK SANFORD Card US
    10 1 31825824 NEAR MINT-MINT+ 8.5 1963 TOPPS 147 WORLD SERIES GAME 6 Card US
    Ron Burgundy

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    So 2 cards bumped a full point?

Great job Ron.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    I predict the Colavito and Mantle will get bumped, and one or both of them by a full grade.

I wish I could gamble on stuff like this.
  • Options
    Thanks Steve. Yep, two full point bumps!

Pretty jazzed about the Clemente too, it was an Ebay purchase that was much nicer than I thought it was when I bought it.

Ron
    Ron Burgundy

• Options
    And Lee is a genius.

Ron
    Ron Burgundy

• Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image Cha-Ching!
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    Thank you Ron, it's about time someone noticed.
  • Options
    First of all, congratulations on beautiful cards and the bumps. That is huge for that Mantle!! Just wondering if you stuck with sending them in without cracking or did you end up cracking and resubmitting?
  • Options
    Yep, the Mantle will pay for the order many times over. It's just a beautiful card. Props to Bosox 1976 for thinking it was a 9 when I bought it in November.

I sent them in without cracking. I think for half point reviews cracking is not necessary or recommended.

Ron
    Ron Burgundy

• Options
    imageimage

Can't help but think of that monkey when I seen that Brooks Robinson........congrats though on the bumps and great cards by the way!!

Mark
    --------------------------------------------
    NFL HOF RC SET
  • Options
    SDavidSDavid Posts: 1,584 ✭✭
    Depending on how well it's centered, you could make almost as much on the '57 Clemente as you will on the Mantle.
  • Options
    Congrats on the stellar grades and thanks for sharing.
    Collecting Vintage Baseball.
    My ebay listings
  • Options

Ron Burgundy

• Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That Clemente is a monster.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭
    Those are very impressive cards. Congrats! I really like those Baseball Thrills cards.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Very nice indeed!

Steve
    Good for you.