Home Sports Talk

What's wrong with Santana's arm?

HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
Pitching
Last 3 years Team G GS W L SV CG SHO IP H R ER HR BB K ERA WHIP BAA
2005 MIN 33 33 16 7 0 3 2 231.2 180 77 74 22 45 238 2.87 0.97 .210
2006 MIN 34 34 19 6 0 1 0 233.2 186 79 72 24 47 245 2.77 1.00 .216
2007 MIN 33 33 15 13 0 1 1 219.0 183 88 81 33 52 235 3.33 1.07 .225

I didn't realize his last year numbers were so off ? (for him anyways)

BA+ ERA+ HR+

Johan Santana has been under the microscope this entire offseason. It has been noted on numerous occasions - and quickly dismissed - that Santana didn’t exactly look like an ace during his final seven starts in 2007, compiling a very un-Santana-like 5.11 ERA. However, this is the first time I am hearing whispers that Santana may been pitching through an injury. On his blog for ESPN.com, Buster Olney writes:

Spoke with a talent evaluator recently who thinks that if the Twins are intent on swapping Johan Santana for a relatively modest package of prospects before the start of spring training, this may reflect some concern over the pitcher’s physical condition. In the aftermath of Santana’s 17-strikeout game against the Rangers on Aug. 19, there was some evidence of diminished velocity in the left-hander, and it was noted by at least one scout that he used his slider much less often.

Comments

• Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    I heard someone on Sirius tonight say the expect he could win 25-30 games in the NL and drop his ERA to the low 2's. I'll believe that when I see it!
    I'm glad the Red Sox are staying together for the most part.
  • sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    His number seemed to me last year to be a function of his throwing too many fast balls down the middle. When his command was on he was still untouchable. The Mets look like they stole him to me.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The fable about the fox and the grapes comes to wind when reading this thread...

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭

<< <i>His number seemed to me last year to be a function of his throwing too many fast balls down the middle. When his command was on he was still untouchable. The Mets look like they stole him to me. >>

I dont know about stole, but it was a smart aquisition.. that being said they still have to sign him to a long term deal which will they will pay through the nose for.
    and lose prospects.
  • goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    his games where he faced the Indians didn't help his numbers last year.

they seemed to have his.
  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh no....Jerry and his Aesop's fables crap again. image
  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, a "smart" acquisition it seems like now, but let's not forget all the expensive stiffs the Mets have signed before, whose stats looked good prior to spring training and stunk during the regular season.

Phillies still win the NL East and the NL pennant...going away baby....Yeaaaaaa!
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh no....Jerry and his Aesop's fables crap again.

Well, for the Sillies this year, I may have start reading you Grimm's Fairy Tales, instead!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • a dominant pitcher going from the AL to the NL is fantasy Gold!

many of santanas games at the end of the last year were meaningless....he is a big game pitcher who thrives during the playoff hunt...

i think he moved up a bunch of draft slots this spring!
  • bxbbxb Posts: 805 ✭✭
    Maybe because he stopped taking steroids.
    Capecards
  • As a Twins fan I really don't mind this deal. Didn't get as much as they could have possibly but at least he went to the NL. Decent prospects that may pan out. Better than nothing if they didn't do this deal now. As far as his arm he always starts slow and then really comes on to the point where it's just sick to watch him pitch. Mets fans have a lot to look forward to after the All-Star break. In the end think it was a win-win situation for both teams. I really believe the best part of the deal was that he went to the NL. Wish people would factor that into the equation.
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they
    wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're
    going to feel all day. "
    ~Frank Sinatra
  • Maybe because he stopped taking steroids.

So what happens to his records now?

Personally I liked the old stuff like: Black Magic Woman and Oye como va but his newer stuff with the guy from Matchbox 20 and the song with the guy from Nickelbag (er.. I mean Nickelback) was pretty good.

But now that he's doing steroids I am not going to listen to that stuff anymore.
    "An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind". - Gandhi
  • dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>his games where he faced the Indians didn't help his numbers last year.

they seemed to have his. >>

Didn't he go something like 0-8 against the Indians? Take those numbers out and it was about normal.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,343 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In short, his arm is fine and he is/was by far the best free agent pick up of this off season.
  • my bold prediction for 2008 (if he is injury free) 20+ wins, 240+ K's ERA around 2.50 Whip about 1.00