Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

This is getting ridiculous. Serious e-bay problems *Update*

Ohh, boards members. It looks like I have another really bid problem on my hands. I recenlty won an ungraded Goudey Buyback 33 Gehrig card. The package was mailed to me insured w/delivery confirmation. I am visiting my parents for my brothers wedding and opened this package in front of them only to find 2 Rasheed Wallace cards. After about 10 days of the seller claiming the item was mailed, she has now starting ignoring my e-mails. If anybody knows what action I can take, please comment and if anybody knows of anyway to contact this person, please PM me. Your help is greatly appreciated.
-Ryan

Comments

• Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    PayPal dispute. Item Not As Described
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    AkbarCloneAkbarClone Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭
    ridiculous
    I collect Vintage Cards, Commemorative Sets, and way too many vintage and modern player collections in Baseball (180 players), Football (175 players), and Basketball (87 players). Also have a Dallas Cowboy team collection.
  • Options
    Yeah, there is no way you would lose that dispute.
    2001-2014 Topps Heritage complete!
  • Options
    What's more ridiculous is how many people mispell the word as "rediculous".

If this deal was done through PayPal, file a complaint. They have a category called something along the lines of "item differs significantly from description". If I recall correctly, you have the option of including images with your complaint. If PayPal rules in your favor, you need to mail the item back to the seller with delivery confirmation. After it's confirmed you returned the item, PayPal will refund the money.
  • Options
    What's worse is that it's kind of an insult sending those crybaby cards. That dude completely sucks. Yay funny bald spot!
    WTB:
    CINCINNATI REDS
    1976 - 1991 - Topps PSA 10
    1983 & 1985 Fleer PSA 10
    1985 Donruss PSA 10
    Blue Ink Signed Topps Cards
    Game-Used Bats/Jerseys
    OPC PSA 10
    MC & OC Cards

OTHER:
    Eric Davis Anything
    Votto, Willingham, Cantu, Doumit, Gomes
    Baron Davis Game Used Jersey
  • Options
    goraidersgoraiders Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭
    i had a similar situation,
    i won a large lot of cards and the seller sent me a big box
    of empty binders,3 boxes of wrestling cards,90 pro set,score football
    cards.he sent with sign. confirmation and insurance.after i signed and
    brought the heavy box inside my house for opening and found all this crap inside,
    i filed the dispute for item not as described.i lost on both ends because ebay
    said he had proof of delivery and basically it was his word over mine.1100$
    to make matters worse 2 weeks later he's no longer a registered user,imagine that!

sure hope it works out better for you than it did for me!
    J.R.
    Needs'
    1972 Football-9's high#'s
    1965 Football-8's
    1958 Topps FB-7-8
  • Options
    sfmays24sfmays24 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭
    Ryan,

If it's less than $20 go with a Paypal complaint (which you will probably lose)... more than that, just contact your Bank and have the charges reversed asap!

Mike
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    How did you pay? Paypal? thru bank account? credit card?

got a link to the listing??

• Options
    Paid through Paypal Credit Card (Visa) I'm not ready to send out Username and item # yet. I'm trying to be fair to the seller, hoping for honesty. Will the fact that I opened the package in front of witnesses help my cause? The package came with delivery confirm w/insurance. Not signature confirmation. Will that have any impact on my claim?
    -Ryan
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    how much was it?
  • Options
    The seller swears it was included in the package. Will insurance cover this? I have the package exactly as delivered (it was sent in a USPS flat rate box) All I did was pull the tab. I thought she may have been telling the truth, but she hasn't responded to my e-mails in 3 days. It looks like I have a battle to fight.

I paid $715 for the card.
    -Ryan
  • Options
    I always use a credit card and would not use a credit card issued by Paypal. if you file a dispute with your paypal visa card and it's against paypal (credit card disputes are against paypal and not the seller) they may not back you since they'd be the one taking the loss being it's their credit card.
  • Options
    No sig confirmation for anything over $250 and you will win automatically if you claim you never received it. Might be the easier way to go
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What's more ridiculous is how many people mispell the word as "rediculous". >>

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,798 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Paid through Paypal Credit Card (Visa) I'm not ready to send out Username and item # yet. I'm trying to be fair to the seller, hoping for honesty. Will the fact that I opened the package in front of witnesses help my cause? The package came with delivery confirm w/insurance. Not signature confirmation. Will that have any impact on my claim? >>

"Fair to the seller?" Geez isn't it obvious, sorry to say, that you've been scammed. Sick the dogs on this mangy POS.

-
  • Options
    $715

///////////////////

Under the PayPal scheme, the seller's claim of "simple delivery" would fail, absent SigCon.

However, you have now admitted to "delivery of something."

The correct way to deal with an empty envelope cannot now be employed. If this happens
    to anybody else, ALWAYS assume the seller is a CROOK, and do NOT communicate with
    them. File an INR, and a PayPal dispute. The seller will lose w/o the SigCon.

THAT IS NOT where we are here, though. IF the seller uses your emails saying that you
    got "a package" the burden shifts to you to PROVE by a preponderance that the card
    was not in the package.

Get affidavits from your witnesses. (Forget the parents part. Just use their names.)
    Submit your affidavit and your witnesses' to PayPal. If they reject the claim, repeat
    the process with your credit-card company.

IF the seller has had past problems, PP will be more sympathetic.

AGAIN, if this happens to anybody else: NEVER communicate with the seller, UNLESS
    you signed for the package. Your simple position is that you did NOT receive ANYTHING,
    and you will win any claim over $250.

For those who think that tactic is dishonest, ask yourself: Is it remotely possible that
    the seller of a $250+ item simply 'forgot' to put the item in the envelope?
  • Options
    "if you file a dispute with your paypal visa card and it's against paypal (credit card disputes are against paypal and not the seller) they may not back you since they'd be the one taking the loss being it's their credit card. "

////////////////////////////////////////

Actually, it does not matter.

The PP cards are ALL "branded cards," issued, depending on when you got it,
    by Providian, Chase or CITI.

• Options
    Well, the longer this process lasts, the more and more I believe I have been scammed. A few new things have come to light.

#1. Their ebay contact # is no longer in service.
    #2. They have had 1 feedback mutually withdrawn from ebay. (Feedback score of 58)
    #3. I don't have a PP visa, but a BOA Visa.
    #4. Isn't this a crime? Shouldn't the police be notified? This package was mailed from Ottumwa, IA small town.

-Ryan
  • Options
    sfmays24sfmays24 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭
    Ryan,

Enough already, you are too nice... call BOA asap!

Good Luck,

Mike
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Ryan

You are now waiting for a scammer to do the right thing, the right thing for you to do is call your CC and tell them you have been scammed.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    What kind of feedback did the seller have before you bid? You really gotta watch that. Did you just say that had a rating of 58??????
    "I've never been able to properly explain myself in this climate" -Raul Duke

ebay i.d. clydecoolidge - Lots of vintage stars and HOFers, raw, condition fully disclosed.
  • Options
    your credit card company should have no problem investigating this and ultimately reverse the charge.

one thing I am curious about is how much was the insurance, i.e. is the postage rate indicated somewhere on the package? I would be curious to know what they insured the package for.
    Mark B.

Seeking primarily PSA graded pre-war "type" cards

My PSA Registry Sets

34 Goudey, 75 Topps Mini, Hall of Fame Complete Set, 1985 Topps Tiffany, Hall of Fame Players Complete Set
  • Options
    "#1. Their ebay contact # is no longer in service."

/////////////////////////////////////////////////

The seller will be INSTANTLY NARUd, if EBAY is notified
    that there is no contact phone.

You will then have a slam-dunk with PayPal.

• Options
    Well,

I just got an e-mail after 3 days. She claimed that she was out of town. Insurance was full price. Doesn't matter at this point. Thanks for your help. Ottumwa, IA police will be called, too.

Some things of note. She told me that I have to mail to package to St. Louis for inspection so USPS can determine if the package had been tampered with. By the time that is done, I will have no ability to recoup my charges.

Card collecting can be amazingly frustrating at times.
    -Ryan
  • Options
    i never bid on anyone less than 150 feedback, all as a seller, with items sold in the past that are comparable to what im bidding on....

knock on wood... 600 ebay transactions no problems...you have to choose your ebay sellers carefully!
  • Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭✭
    Like others have said, contact your credit card immediately and have them reverse the charge. If I was you, I would not communicate with the seller. I would only talk to my cc and to Paypal.
    > [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&amp;_in_kw=1&amp;_ex_kw=&amp;_sacat=0&amp;_udlo=&amp;_udhi=&amp;_ftrt=901&amp;_ftrv=1&amp;_sabdlo=&amp;_sabdhi=&amp;_samilow=&amp;_samihi=&amp;_sadis=15&amp;_stpos=61611&amp;_sargn=-1&saslc=1&amp;_salic=1&amp;_fss=1&amp;_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&amp;_saslop=1&amp;_sasl=mygirlsthree3&amp;_sop=12&amp;_dmd=1&amp;_ipg=50&amp;_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    I am still working on this claim with Paypal (I also filed a claim with my Visa). Paypal has required that I file a police report within 10 days. I have done that. They want a copy of the police report. The only problem is now the police department is investigating this as a felony crime. $2000 of buyer protection is a load of crap. I am putting in hours of time and effort to get this resolved. the $2000.00 buyer protection program should be renamed, the $2000.00 buyer frustration program. I'm surprised that somebody who got burned for thousands of dollars hasn't accused paypal of aiding felony crimes.

-Ryan
    -Ryan
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im a little slow to the party here. You said the package was delivered to you, but you took it with you, obviously still unopened since you opened it in front of them, to your parents house? The more I read it, the more it doesnt make sense. I've dealt with you Ryan for a few hundred dollars, and you were top notch, so if thats something you added to the story just to show that you had witnesses, so you can get your money back im all for the stretch of the truth. It's just that if I had a Goudey Gehrig coming to me from a questionable seller there is no way I'd be able to wait till I got to my parents house to open it, no matter how close they lived.
  • Options
    To clarify for Nam. I live in Southern California. I had the package delivered to my parents address in South Florida because I was visiting them for my brothers wedding. I visit my parents in Florida a few times during the fall/winter (who doesn't want to go to South Florida this time of year) Both of them are confirmed addresses. When the package arrived in South Florida at my parents house, I opened it in front of them. I didn't even have to stretch the truth.

Now that I am back in So Cal. I had to file a police report to the police in South Florida. It's been rediculous.
    -Ryan
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Burn.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Was the sellers last name O'reilly?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Was the sellers last name O'reilly?

Steve >>

O RLY??

• Options
    The seller claimed to be Lana Jones. The account was registered to a Dave Jones. No O'Reilly or Limbaugh.
    -Ryan
  • Options
    ArchStantonArchStanton Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭
    Scam. Start to finish.

Collector of 1976 Topps baseball for some stupid reason.
    Collector of Pittsburgh Pirates cards for a slightly less stupid reason.
    My Pirates Collection
  • Options
    Unfortunately, as stated before, Paypal's 'Buyer Protection' is a worthless.

Here's an actual email from them....after telling me I was screwed, you've gotta love the last line of the email...

Next time, it's straight to the bank for me....no trust left in Paypal/eBay. (This was only a $20 item, with a seller with 1000+ feedback, who apparantly just went out of business and left everyone hanging.....)

Dear (Insert Name Here)

After careful review, we have concluded our investigation of the Buyer
    Complaint described below.

We have decided in your favor, however, we were unable to recover any
    funds
    from the seller's account. As stated in the PayPal User Agreement,
    recovery
    of funds associated with a Buyer Complaint cannot be guaranteed.

Please know that we will make our best effort to recover the funds in
    question if they become available in the seller's account in the future
    and
    will take appropriate action against the seller. Such action may
    include
    issuing a warning, a temporary restriction, or terminating the account.
    Keep in mind that PayPal uses a number of factors to determine when to
    take
    action, including member complaints. Due to privacy laws, we cannot
    discuss
    the details of any action taken. We hope you understand our policy and
    that
    it assures you that you are safe using PayPal.
    Collecting my sports heroes, Roger Staubach and Kirby Puckett.