Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

The Hits Just keep- PSA EMBARRASSING

This the hits just keep on coming is on a SGC message board and has got to be the most embarrasing PSA thing I've ever seen. It is a Walter Johnson card in an incorrectly labeled holder with even more errors than just the name. This is showing that the quality control is just non-existant and needs to be addressed. Do you think if the T206 Wagner gets bumbed to an 8.5 it will be labeled T206 Frank Chance or something like that. I mean to completely make a number of mistakes on a vintage card of maybe the greatest pitcher of all time, to mis-label a 52 Mantle or T206 Wagner will be next. I believe you could also get your 75 minis back right now with a Goudey Ruth in the holder. This type of stuff is "really" troubling.
Mickey71image

Comments

• Options
    Here's what is says when you look up the cert:
    Year: 1922
    Brand: W575-1 H.JOHNSON
    Player: HUGH JENNINGS
    Variety: HAND CUT
    Grade: 3MK
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>on a SGC message board >>

Well, there's your problem.

You think they are going to focus on cards that get labeled correctly?

Nope, they are going to focus on the negatives.

That's like going to DU and looking for positive comments about Republicans.

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    the owner of the card stated that the mk qualifier is for the factory overprint on the back. It's supposed to have that.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    Isn't this easily fixed by returning the card to PSA to have the flip corrected? I don't understand how some of you people blow the minutia out of the water as if the incorrect flip will bring the hobby to a screeching halt.

The end is near...they misspelled Brian Calhoun "Brain Calhoun" on a card I submitted. I haven't slept right ever since!

• Options

<< <i>Isn't this easily fixed by returning the card to PSA to have the flip corrected? I don't understand how some of you people blow the minutia out of the water as if the incorrect flip will bring the hobby to a screeching halt. >>

I agree with you - just send it back to PSA and they'll fix it. However, I don't think that was the statement Mickey was trying to make. I think what he was saying (if I may be allowed to speak for him and he can correct me if I'm wrong) is that there are certain idiots on these boards like this poster who want to constantly bash BGS, BVG and SGC because they think PSA is so perrrrfffect, when they are FAR FROM IT.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Isn't this easily fixed by returning the card to PSA to have the flip corrected? I don't understand how some of you people blow the minutia out of the water as if the incorrect flip will bring the hobby to a screeching halt. >>

I agree with you - just send it back to PSA and they'll fix it. However, I don't think that was the statement Mickey was trying to make. I think what he was saying (if I may be allowed to speak for him and he can correct me if I'm wrong) is that there are certain idiots on these boards like this poster who want to constantly bash BGS, BVG and SGC because they think PSA is so perrrrfffect, when they are FAR FROM IT. >>

Then I think it's safe to say that all of the third party grading companies are capable of making mistakes and definitely do so. However, the OP went from the mistake being the wrong name on the flip to someone getting a Goudey Ruth in their 75 Topps Mini slab. I, for one, can do without that drama.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Anthony you did notice that the MK was not the problem?

Gumby.......lol

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    I just won this.................

Dave D.
  • Options
    samspopsamspop Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭
    image Way to go Dave D!! GREAT CARD!
  • Options
    Thanks Mike. It's not a 1978 though.......... I'm so shot that I didn't realize it as I was bidding on it....... Wrong flip

Dave D.
  • Options

<< <i>I just won this.................

Dave D. >>

They at least came close on that one, only missed it by one year
  • Options
    This should take care of it..........

• Options
    actually it was a simple "error of the mouse"

hugh jennings is #78 in the W575-1 Strip Set, Walter Johnson is #79 in the set.......so , as someone was entering the information into the computer to print the flip, they thought they had Walter Johnson highlighted with the mouse, but it slid up to the next name on the list as the mouse missed by a bit (has happened to all of us).....easy mistake

however, it should have been caught by the final quality control check before being sent out...i have a couple pending label issues going on as well...
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭

<< <i>to mis-label a 52 Mantle or T206 Wagner will be next. >>

They have already labeled a common as a Honus Wagner so this is old news.
  • Options
    I'm sure the data entry over at the SGC boards is flawless.
    "I've never been able to properly explain myself in this climate" -Raul Duke

ebay i.d. clydecoolidge - Lots of vintage stars and HOFers, raw, condition fully disclosed.
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm sure the data entry over at the SGC boards is flawless. >>

I agree. A quick scan of ebay and I found this gem:

• Options
    tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭

• Options
    bxbbxb Posts: 805 ✭✭
    Check out this one I got - the invoice says "miscut - not holdered" ??

Capecards
  • Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    Another fine example of grading...

Namath PSA 5!
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    That Namath is crazy.
  • Options
    I think that Namath can get a 5.5 under the new grading standards.

Looks like a rat got in the holder and started chewing the card.
  • Options
  • Options

<< <i>Looks like a rat got in the holder and started chewing the card. >>

Looks like a rat with nothing but disparaging words about PSA keeps showing up on the board.

How's it goin, dabighurt?!
  • Options
    I missed dabighurt...I'm glad he's back. He brings some much needed balance to these boards...
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Isn't this easily fixed by returning the card to PSA to have the flip corrected? I don't understand how some of you people blow the minutia out of the water as if the incorrect flip will bring the hobby to a screeching halt.

The end is near...they misspelled Brian Calhoun "Brain Calhoun" on a card I submitted. I haven't slept right ever since!

image >>

yes that seems true enough. until you see a 91 TSC Favre PSA 9 SuperBowl on Ebay. Win it only to find out it wasnt a Superbowl Embossed card. hard to see the logos through the holder and scans. so know you paid 15X for the value of the card. sure you can send it back to have psa correct it. or do you just put it in your set like that knowing its not the right card but the flip says it is.

i know someone that bought that card and tried to get psa to refund their money...i dont think they were all that successfull in doing so. so yes sometimes its easy to send it back when you subbed the cards, but not when you paid for the card that you thought you were getting.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Isn't this easily fixed by returning the card to PSA to have the flip corrected? I don't understand how some of you people blow the minutia out of the water as if the incorrect flip will bring the hobby to a screeching halt.

image >>

yes that seems true enough. until you see a 91 TSC Favre PSA 9 SuperBowl on Ebay. Win it only to find out it wasnt a Superbowl Embossed card. hard to see the logos through the holder and scans. so know you paid 15X for the value of the card. sure you can send it back to have psa correct it. or do you just put it in your set like that knowing its not the right card but the flip says it is.

i know someone that bought that card and tried to get psa to refund their money...i dont think they were all that successfull in doing so. so yes sometimes its easy to send it back when you subbed the cards, but not when you paid for the card that you thought you were getting. >>

Is this a case where one would "buy the card, not the holder?"
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    I think the MK qualifier just means that that card itself is marked with the wrong photo, name and info.
  • Options