Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1964 Topps Giants worth grading?

I used my 6 free submissions on tobacco cards, three 206s (Chesbro-Keeler-Iron Man), two 205s (Roger and Bender) and a 202 (A's INF) and grades ranged 2-4..

I was thinking about getting a few more cards graded, probably for eventual sale or trade, the major star cards in the 1964 Topps Giant set (I have the entire set, guess it'd be ex-m to nr mint) and I wondered if they are worth getting graded, namely Mantle/Mays/Aaron/Clemente and Sandy.

I also thought about getting grades on a '64 Kahns Rose (ex-M I'd think), Fatima A's card, Unitas and Brown from my '59 Topps football set and Mays/Mantle/Aaron/Sandy cards from my 1956 Topps baseball set..

On another note, in selling (or trading) the '64 Topps Giant/'59 Topps Football and '56 Topps baseball sets, is it better to sell in lots and pieces or altogether as a complete set?

REALLY APPRECIATE ANY FEEDBACK!

Duke of Tralee

Comments

• storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    Graded cards are nice.
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • As far as selling the sets go, the star cards always take precedence over the commons. I think it will depend on what condition the star (high value) cards are in. I've seen full sets go for less because the star cards were in mediocre condition. It sort of seems like buyer's will concentrate on the high value cards and their condition, and sometimes overlook the overall condition of the set, which brings in lower value overall. Does that even make sense? I tried to convey what I see, but then again, my thoughts don't always make alot of sense.

And as far as grading any card, I think that the potential value of the card, vs. grading fees, determines if it's all that worth having graded. Other factors can be the scarcity of the card (pop report) and people trying to complete sets on the registry.
    "I've never been able to properly explain myself in this climate" -Raul Duke

ebay i.d. clydecoolidge - Lots of vintage stars and HOFers, raw, condition fully disclosed.