Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What is your opinion on this Mantle?

It was very reasonably priced and looked good besides the tack holes. Thoughts?? I know high grade collectors wouldnt touch this. But I love lower grade stuff image

Ankur
All coins kept in bank vaults.
PCGS Registries
Box of 20
SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!

Comments

• Options
    cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257
    I love it! I need one that looks like that for my '54 set. I would be happy to own it! If you don't mind me asking, how much did that set you back?

Chris
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    Sure! $140 shipped. PSA 1's have sold for between $90 and $200 on ebay. So I am happy with what I paid.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
  • Options
    tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    Great looking card at a great price, The holes are on the border and dont detract from the pic much.
    I can just imagine some kid in the bronx having this card tacked to his wall some 50+ years ago.

• Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    I saw a 52 topps mantle once that looked like a 8 or a 9, but had a small area at the top that turned brown due to tape. Someone taped it to a wall somewhere, which kept it preserved, but the tape stain dropped the grade to a 2! How do you price something like that?

Edit to add: coin collectors always say, can you imagine if this coin could talk. Where it has been and what it was used for. I sometimes think the same with old cards that are beat up. So lets say for this card:

I was made at a factory in New York and had great company of Jackie Robinson, Hank Aaron, Ted Williams and more! One day a 6 year old bought a pack that I was living in and pulled all of us out. He took me along with everyone else and tacked us up on a board in his room. The tack hurt, but the other players I was with were great! I even saw a picture of myself in my first year! But eventually he lost interest in us and started collecting books with pictures. One day his mom took us down from the board and put us in a box. And about 45 years later, a strange looking guy took us out of the box and put us in holders with some kind of sticker. I was then put in a padded envelope and was flown to a far far place. And now I am in a small box with more greats, and I also see my picture from when I was a rookie! But regardless, I can tell that I am loved.

PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭✭
    I like it ankur. Perhaps the tack holes are a wee bit excessive (wish there was just one and that it didn't eat into the border) but! I really prefer this cause of a PR-FR 1 vs. the heavily creased version of a 1. Matter of fact, if I do one day get that elusive low-grade '52 T Mick, it'll hopefully be crease-free with a minor, unobtrusive tackhole. image
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    Not bad at all.

When you don't want it anymore, somebody will buy it.
    You will not lose money.
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Agree that it is a nice one. Centering makes it look very good, IMO.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I agree nice card, b4 I read I saw it and said to myself 100.00-150.00 and sure enuff that is right where you bought it.

I also agree that even with it having a 'problem' you should always get your money back.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    i like it! it's got character!