Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

More Ebay BS

Text

Hello...This is Jim Ambach, VP of Seller Experience. Bill Cobb shared a number of important changes that eBay is making to the marketplace. For sellers, consistently great service will make the difference in 2008. Because a seller's performance is more critical than ever, as Bill mentioned, we will be giving all sellers a tool to help them monitor their own performance called the Seller Dashboard.
I'd like to offer more detail about seller standards.

More on Seller Standards
Bill spoke about great sellers – specifically, these are sellers who provide buyers with an experience that consistently means:

Describing items well
Communicating with buyers effectively
Shipping items quickly
Charging fair and accurate shipping costs.
I'm sure most of you recognize these criteria, as they are exact ones we use in our Detailed Seller Ratings (DSRs). As Bill made clear, great sellers will receive new rewards and economic incentives in the form of increased exposure in Best Match search, plus discounted pricing and other benefits for PowerSellers who qualify.

In contrast, Bill also mentioned new requirements to discourage bad seller behavior. I'd like to clarify what we mean.

While the vast majority of eBay sellers do the right thing, a relatively few sellers create a high percentage of dissatisfied customers. At eBay, we consider a buyer dissatisfied if:

The buyer leaves a 1 or 2 DSR rating on any of the attributes
A seller get complaints from buyers about items being "significantly not as described" or "item not received"
A seller receives negative or neutral feedback from the buyer.
If a seller has any of these activities in the last 30 days, these will cumulatively count as dissatisfied customers for that seller. We then calculate what percentage dissatisfied customers represent of a seller's total customers.

As Bill said, sellers with a high percentage of buyer dissatisfaction will receive reduced visibility in Best Match search. Also, because excessive shipping and handling continues to be one of the biggest pain points for buyers, sellers with the worst DSRs for shipping and handling charges will see a decrease in their listings exposure, as well.

For more details, please read our Seller Standards information page and FAQ.

Safe Payments Requirements
Last January, Bill announced that all new sellers would be required to offer PayPal or a merchant credit card as a safe payment option. This requirement gives buyers a higher degree of protection when transacting with sellers who have little or no track record.

This year we're expanding this requirement to the following sellers:

a small number of sellers who have the worst buyer dissatisfaction rates
sellers with less than 100 feedback
sellers who list in certain categories with higher rates of buyer complaints.
Also, for a small number of these transactions paid with PayPal, when eBay suspects the transaction may result in a dissatisfied customer, PayPal will delay release of the payment funds to the seller until the buyer has left a positive feedback or 21 days have passed without a dispute.

I'd like to put context around this last detail for our good sellers: Sellers with an established track record and more than 95 percent satisfied buyers in the last 30 days will not have funds held. And, sellers on eBay will continue to receive the vast majority of payment funds much faster than other marketplaces.

Summing it all up
Sellers, we know we've introduced a lot of changes. Each change supports our goal to improve the buying experience so that eBay is known as a place for value and selection from sellers that buyers can trust. But we can’t do it alone. Your actions in creating that great buying experience are critical to making eBay.com a better place for the entire community.

Let's take a quick look at all the things we're doing to strengthen our partnership with our sellers:

Reducing insertion fees
Free Gallery … on all listings!
Reduced Feature Plus and Pro Pack fees
Increased listing exposure for sellers with great DSRs
Pricing discounts for PowerSellers with great DSRs
Protection from chargebacks for PowerSellers
All addresses are confirmed addresses for PowerSellers on their eBay listings that are paid with PayPal
Unlimited PayPal protection for PowerSellers
Repeat Feedback credit
Rolling 12-month Feedback Percentage
Personalized Seller Dashboard
Please find more details on these changes by going to our Overview page. Also, I'll be part of the leadership panel at Bill Cobb's next Town Hall on Monday, February 4th, and I hope you'll listen and call in with your questions.

Sincerely,

Jim Ambach
Vice President, Seller Experience

Comments

• Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    "Also, because excessive shipping and handling continues to be one of the biggest pain points for buyers, sellers with the worst DSRs for shipping and handling charges will see a decrease in their listings exposure, as well."

////////////////////////////////////////

I always offer "FREE" shipping. I just include it the price of the BIN item.

MANY sellers do this. BUT, they STILL get dinged by PSYCHOS on the DSR
    S&H box.
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    i agree about the shipping, i charge fair prices, and on occasion lose money on shipping, i track EVERYTHING i ship and still get dinged on shipping costs. i also ship everything out within 2 days top and yet get dinged. BUYERs are a fickle, needy bunch eh? lol.
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭✭
    I must be the easiest buyer in the world, then. I get to wait 8-10 days sometimes before some sellers can bring themselves to get my item in the mail. Some, god bless 'em, just sweetly decide never to send the item at all. Isn't that nice?
  • Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    I dont mind the fee changes, I favor the new feedback rules in the most part and to an extent, I agree on this being a start towards ending all the nonsense scams on ebay. I wish they would add a fee to PROSECUTE these morons, I would definitely be up for that. You wouldnt have to prosecute all, just some to end most of it.
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    ALL fraudsters should be prosecuted. And,
    I agree, I would pay more to help fund that.

BUT, EBAY makes huge money on the frauds;
    they have NO interest in ending them.

They like to look like they are pirate-busters.
    They are REALLY pirate-partners.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    I can't believe all of the crying about shipping charges on e-bay. When the buyer enters into a contract with the seller the shipping fees are right there in front of him. If he doesn't like it he should not bid on the item, no one has the right to complain about shipping fees when they know beforehand what the charges are. You the buyer has a choice in this matter to bid or not to bid! that is the question. So lets stop our whining because you dont like the charges,just dont bid on that item. Thanks for listening, Dave