Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

How'd I get over here?

I normally hang on the US side, but I saw this 1916 GB Penny and wanted it. Not sure if I paid too much($3.32US), but I just really wanted to have it, see how infectious it could be. Got it, enjoying it, looking at more (with no direction, just looking). It has a strike-thru of some sort. Anyhow - Hi! Let's see if I can get the bug! Heck, even ordered the Krause that was going cheap.

Seller's Pics

Comments

• Options
    JZraritiesJZrarities Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the Darkside!

Have a Cookie.

You're gonna like it here...

• Options
    FilamCoinsFilamCoins Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭

Welcome! image
  • Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>...It has a strike-thru of some sort... >>

No, what it has is "ghosting", the term for when the design from one side of the coin partially shows through on the other side. It's caused by the coin being relatively large and thin, with a relatively high relief design, and the alloy being relatively hard. It's commonly seen on British pennies. The British Royal Mint was aware of the phenomenon, and eventually redesigned the penny in 1928, with a smaller, lower-relief portrait less prone to ghosting. The effect is also commonly seen on Australian pennies of George VI.

It's not considered a mint error, and doesn't add or subtract anything from the value, except in extreme cases.
    Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    Thanks Sapyx! I always apprecate the education.
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Enjoy the cookies and your long stay here!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    Welcome. image

Best be careful with those cookies - knowing JZ they could have come from Amsterdam. image
    The meaning of life ? I don't know but I am sure that coins have something to do with it.

Zar's Ebay
  • Options
    AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭
    That's a very cool looking coin image

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • Options
    oldshepoldshep Posts: 3,240
    image GOTCHA....heh, heh, heh

Shep
  • Options
    Confusious say - Man with lots of cookies had lots of dough. image
    The meaning of life ? I don't know but I am sure that coins have something to do with it.

Zar's Ebay
  • Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the darkside! image
    Hope you enjoy your stay and hang around.

Sapyx very efficiently covered your question. If you are keen on, or are thinking of collecting British coins why not take a look at my website in my signatures. It's free to use.

Other members i.e. Wybrit have also got great websites, some about British coins. I would recommend checking them out to:

http://wybrit.com/

Regards,
    Hus
  • Options
    Wow. I'm loving you already over here! And I love chocolate chip cookies! And haven't loved spacecake since 1997... that's another thread.

A co-worker gave me a 10lb bag of foreign coins/tokes/what-not today after I showed him the penny yesterday. He said, verbatim, "Hey Mike, get this &%(* out of my house then. And cut me in if there is anything of value". So I explained the face value of circulated Canadian coins minted since 1970... plenty of other coins I don't know about in there however. Once my Krause comes... I'll be back!
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You paid full price and then some but at $3 it's not a big deal.

With patience you can find these in junk boxes and put together
    a nice high grade set for $40 or so. A few of the earlier dates will
    have to be VG and there will be several that you'll have to purchase
    probably.

I sprang for some nice AU's and Uncs once I got the set complete
    just to make it really pop.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Be careful with those Brit large pennies. They can be addictive.

Cladking might remember when I was collecting them, back in 1992- that's how I met him, through the Numismatic News classifieds, when I had a swap ad out for Brit pennies- he was my biggest respondent. (This was long before my computer days, of course).

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are very addictive.

It's not only that it's an attractive design and there's a vast array of dates available
    but they've been widely collected almost since day 1. This means there are lots of
    nice examples floating around in high grade. They won't always be available but you
    make hay while the sun shines and have fun where you can find it.

And these big coppers are a ton of fun.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    You have arrived! image Now you will NEVER leave! Welcome...