Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Any 84 Donruss guys out there?

How tough is this set in 8 or better?

In the spirit of broadening my collecting focus (and take a little break from 49 Bowman) was considering this set. It's a purrrrty set if you ask me. I had a Winfield #51 PSA that I just sold yesterday... but I wish I kept it.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Twinkies?

Comments

• Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    Go to the Registry message board. 1984 Donruss are very popular and it has its own thread.
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Paging ArnyVee.......paging ArnyVee.
  • Options
    1984 Donruss is one of those sets that I always wanted to buy. I may check into one with my 'free tax check money'. image
    2001-2014 Topps Heritage complete!
  • Options
    royalbrettroyalbrett Posts: 620 ✭✭✭
    I like this set too.
    I put it together completely from opening packs back in '84.

I still have it in a binder.
    Yeah, I uploaded that KC icon in 2001
  • Options
    In my opinion that is the best looking set of the 80's. I used to have a factory set but sold it many years back. I've been considering picking up another one.
  • Options

<< <i>I like this set too.
    I put it together completely from opening packs back in '84.

I still have it in a binder. >>

Looking to sell?
  • Options

<< <i>In my opinion that is the best looking set of the 80's. I used to have a factory set but sold it many years back. I've been considering picking up another one. >>

I agree. With my limited "modern" experience, this is defintely the best looking set.
  • Options
    The 1984 Donruss alarms just went off! image

Alan, the set is not overly tough in PSA 8 if you take your time. Even in 9s you can piece together a set in a decent timeframe (heck, I've got probably 50 or 60 8s and 9s available for sale/trade).

But, if you're looking for 50/50 centering with these....you're going to have a rough time. The centering is poor on lots of cards and you can check the breakdown of some of the toughies (lots of cards without a 10 even graded yet).

Here's the link to our thread. 1984 Donruss Official Thread...Enjoy!

By the way, I have one factory set left if anyone is interested at $140 delivered. PM me or e-mail me at SCMAuctions@aol.com if interested. image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    I knew it wouldn't be long before Arny began salivating at a 84 donruss new comer. Take it easy on the lad, he seems like a good guy.
  • Options
    Hey Arny,

First, since this is the first time that we've spoken since the "teknobailey" debacle... I apologize for everything the birthday thread, it's a great thing you've got there.

Second.. I'm DEFINITELY interested in your spare 8's... how much for the lot? Any photos you can share?

If the 8's work out to be a ton of loot, then I'll take your factory set. This way I'll just wait for some $5 specials, and have it graded myself.

Thanks a ton my friend!
  • Options

<< <i>I knew it wouldn't be long before Arny began salivating at a 84 donruss new comer. Take it easy on the lad, he seems like a good guy. >>

My first compliment ever on the PSa boards, lol. Thank you!!!

• Options
    I need to start the '84 Donruss set sometime. there is no question that its design and photograph were well ahead of its time.

By comparison, I would say it was the 1991 Topps set before the big guy took photography really serious.

Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭✭
    I bought me a hand collated set in the early part of the decade (around late 2001 probably). All my other sets from 1983-91 were pulled from factory sets. The set's borders are a little off-white for my taste (but the backs are blazingly white and the 1982-83 borders aren't much whiter so maybe this is normal) but other than that the set is pretty sharp and a true classic even if it's not worth quite as much as it was at its peak in the late 80s/early 90s.
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246

<< <i>Hey Arny,

First, since this is the first time that we've spoken since the "teknobailey" debacle... I apologize for everything the birthday thread, it's a great thing you've got there.

Second.. I'm DEFINITELY interested in your spare 8's... how much for the lot? Any photos you can share?

If the 8's work out to be a ton of loot, then I'll take your factory set. This way I'll just wait for some $5 specials, and have it graded myself.

Thanks a ton my friend! >>

Alan, no need to apologize. It's in the past. image

As far as the spare 8s, take a look at my 'trade/sell' set on this link....ArnyVee's Sell/Trade Set....then, when you decide what you are interested in, I can give you a fair deal. Don't worry boys, I won't rake him across the coals.....too much image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    I have a solid NM-MT 84 Donruss set missing about 6 commons that I'd sell for $60 dlvd. The Mattingly is a little OC and would probably be an 8 and the Strawberry looks like a solid 9. A decent amount of the cards would be in the PSA 8-9 range if you had them graded. Let me know if anyone's interested.

Lee
  • Options
    Quick math at $5 per card and 660 cards in the set - you are looking at over 3 grand just in grading fees. Buying cards vice submitting would be the wise choice; JMHO.
  • Options

<< <i>Quick math at $5 per card and 660 cards in the set - you are looking at over 3 grand just in grading fees. Buying cards vice submitting would be the wise choice; JMHO. >>

You bring up an excellent point.

Maybe I'll start with Arny's duplicates and work on just buying graded lots.

Arny, I'll take a look later today. It's shaping up to be a pretty busy day here at work!!

• Options
    Unless you have absolutely stunning cards to submit, I would buy them already graded to start with. Then, you can start to pick up singles here and there or sets to pull certain cards that you want to submit to complete the thing.

As WH mentioned, even at the lowest of "specials" that PSA runs, it's still over $3K just to have the set graded and HOPE that you pull 9s or better.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options

<< <i>Unless you have absolutely stunning cards to submit, I would buy them already graded to start with. Then, you can start to pick up singles here and there or sets to pull certain cards that you want to submit to complete the thing.

As WH mentioned, even at the lowest of "specials" that PSA runs, it's still over $3K just to have the set graded and HOPE that you pull 9s or better. >>

Good call man. I'll definitely start with a graded lot.

Off to a meeting! I'll check your stuff later today :-)