Home U.S. Coin Forum

JEFFERSON GUYS another 94 matte proof & more (since the orig title was not good enough) :P

I thought I had seen alot in my days of Jefferson buying, maybe all. Well I was once again
suprised by another Jefferson Matte purchase:

94 matte ebay

Bought this one on the cheap once again to research what I feel are low grades popping up on these. This one had no FS desination, and
was another 66, so I said hmmm, maybe some mint damage again? So I received the coin tonight. Open the package only to find another seemingly perfect example. Being my first new anacs slab, I start focusing in on how cheesey I feel the new slab is, heck lets be honest, it sucks. Only good thing is the plastic gives a magnifying veiw of the coin,
which is kinda cool, but the rest of it sucks.

On to the coin. I veiw it under sunlight, bright light, subdued light, and all show same fresh clean surface usually reserved for top o' the line examples. So i set
out to start this thread, but kept glancing to the coin sitting on the desk. It botherd me because it seemed at certain angles, the obv was showing weird color patches (WTF)
so I really started changing veiws trying to figure why, then at a glance sideways, I notice what appears to be the thumbing seen on morgans, (first thought to be just maybe finger prints/residue). Closer inspection reveled nose grease or something being rubbed over what appear to be slight "slide marks" like those somethimes received in danscos
with sliding windows. This wrecked my idea of doing a thread now, no way I could catch this in photography, so I decided to just save the ebay images and forget this thread. But when I looked at the ebay images, I notice his obv pic almost shows the golden toning common on the rev of these on the OBV...kinda never seen or heard of...again, WTF... but it clearly shows the areas on the obv Im talking about, and is only noticible in certain light. Im glad the sellers obv pic shows what I am talking about, but this discoloration changes with lights. Everyone here will be happy to know this doesnt affect the pure set toning on the rev, as thats common on all:
UNATURAL TONE SPLOTCHES:

ALL NATURAL CLEAN WITH STEPS THAT REACH OUT SMACK THE TEETH OUT OF YOUR MOUTH:

I will do some macros of it tomorrow, may show a real up close.

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill

Comments

• sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    If you keep buying them up, mine in original mint packaging may gain in valueimage

I always wonder when the mint crew is packaging,
    if they realize they should not touch coins except edge,
    as I feel some mint set toning is related to stuff on emplyees fingers

either lotions or lunch
  • pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    stuff on my coin is purposely added, wasnt mint employee lunch, etc. Someone purposely tryed to hide slide marks on this one.

As my driving the price on these, I have noticed I have pushed it up some in my buying, but I put that buying habit on sabatical for that reason.

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trying to corner the market, eh? image

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• 66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Trying to corner the market, eh? image

We both must be. I finally got tired of buying sets at sub 50 level.

Good catch on the cover-up Bill. Good thing to watch for a 'should be 69-70' coins.
    Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of the dates I've stocked up on over the years. As well as the 97P nickel, and the 98S SMS Half.

Picked this one up for $20, the tag said $25, he said, "gimme $20 and it's yours".

Planned on giving him the $25, I was happy.

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • RampageRampage Posts: 9,436 ✭✭✭✭
    That is a nice coin Bill! Congratulations on the purchase. image

<< <i>One of the dates I've stocked up on over the years. As well as the 97P nickel, and the 98S SMS Half.

Picked this one up for $20, the tag said $25, he said, "gimme $20 and it's yours".

Planned on giving him the $25, I was happy.

image >>

nice pickup, with all the examples I have seen on this issue, I would have to say that is the least amount of toning on the rev that I have seen on all I have looked at. I have NEVER seen a FULL white example.

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • 66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭
    nice pickup, with all the examples I have seen on this issue, I would have to say that is the least amount of toning on the rev that I have seen on all I have looked at. I have NEVER seen a FULL white example.

Last I checked (about 6 months ago) I had a few in both years. A few of the Dolly dollars in my 97 sets are quite nice tone wise to boot. I'm surprised I haven't seen more toned Dolly $.
    Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bill, crack it out of the ANACS slab after a thorough inspection satisfies you that there's nothing past the suspected thumbing. they're easy, you can do it with your bare hands and a quick twist.
  • morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<nice pickup, with all the examples I have seen on this issue, I would have to say that is the least amount of toning on the rev that I have seen on all I have looked at. I have NEVER seen a FULL white example.>>

Same hear, never seen one without the typical gold toning on the reverse.

The example I picked up only has toning on Monticello. I'm hoping that all of Monticello turn gold, that would look cool!

I would crack it out, and resubmit, I've yet to see one without full steps.

Good luck!
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO

<< <i>Bill, crack it out of the ANACS slab after a thorough inspection satisfies you that there's nothing past the suspected thumbing. they're easy, you can do it with your bare hands and a quick twist. >>

Al a mouse could fart on that slab and pop it openimage

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • LALASD4LALASD4 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭
    This one is white.image

Coin Collector, Chicken Owner, Licensed Tax Preparer & Insurance Broker/Agent.
    San Diego, CA

<< <i>This one is white.image

image >>

wow, thats the first one ive seen! I know I promised macros today, but forgot to bring the coin to work, Ill get picks tomorrow as I have some BST stuff to photo also

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file