Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Any help with (ancient?) coin identification...

I picked up a lot of 5 coins at a Gun Show today, described as "colonial era".... at the time all I could tell was that 4 of them were at least silver which ended up being Reales (pics in this thread)... this was the fifth (heavily corroded) & paper thin specimen - maybe the size of a dime with medallic orientation ~ any ideas??

imageimage

Comments

• what's known as a Roman ae 3 bronze coin. Looks like the 337-60 A.D type of Constans (II?)
  • Thanks for the information ~ Any suggestions for removing/halting the (white-ish) corrosion?
  • these ancient bronzes are tough to clean well...i've cleaned off some (with olive oil) and they looked good initially, then worse as they dried. i wouldn't attempt it unless someone who's had real success weighs in. Some pretty good detail is still visible as it is
  • As for cleaning, I know it's a No-No.......... But sometime's curiosity kill's the cat. I had about a dozen or so that were basically crust, And i tried a few different thing's some successful some not...

Never use Tarn-X on them................ It will disolve the crud, and the coin.

Lemon or Lime juice with dishwashing detergent for an hour at a time seem's to help.

But, White Vinegar and iodized salt........ seem's to do well, you can't go to far wrong with it. Be sure to keep an hourly watch on it and rinse it well under running water.

I have tried olive oil and it will bring out some of the feature's, I wasn't real impressed..... I only recommend that you try it on something you consider un-salvageable....... But it work's great on Bronze and Copper....... Just remember to , Rinse it well.......
    " I just checked in , Just to see what condition, My condition was in." Kenny Rogers and the 1st. Edition......
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That one has pretty nice patina. I might attempt to clean it a LITTLE bit, to heighten the contrast between the portrait and the sandy patina in the fields, or to render the lettering a bit more readable, but easy does it- the desert patina is NOT something you want to strip off.

I think the coin looks fine the way it is. I might use a toothbrush or something to try and gently brush some of the looser material off, but then I'd leave it at that. You wouldn't wanna mess up desert patina- it forms a nice contrast between the fields and the devices, for a sort of "cameo" look. Many of the coins with this patina were dug in Syria or thereabouts.

PS- have spin through my collection (linked in my sigline) for comparison purposes, or better yet, go to Wildwinds.com.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Hey Lordmarcovan..... looked through your "list".... it was nice to see your Pic (RS103-Constantine_II.jpg) with all the detail showing so I know what is under some of that "desert patina"... that's a very nice example you have. I will follow your advice & just give it a "brushing", although I doubt it will reveal much more than it already shows. Thanks!