Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

PCGS says no to expensive Chinese coins?

I heard that PCGS will no longer certify expensive Chinese coins because of the high quality fakes?

Comments

• TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First time I hear about that.

• << <i>First time I hear about that. >>

Ditto

~
  • sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    That would be an unfortunate admission on the part of PCGS. Isn't part of their mission to authenticate coins?

• << <i>That would be an unfortunate admission on the part of PCGS. Isn't part of their mission to authenticate coins? >>

Good point.
    "Think of the Press as a great keyboard on which the Government can play" – Joseph Goebbels

"The Central Intelligence Agency owns everyone of any significance in the major media" - William Colby, former CIA director
  • worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    If this is true, I would be interested in reading the press release or email that came from PCGS.

This could either be a sign that they do not have a good asian coin expert on staff, or a more serious indicator that counterfeits are truly that dangerous. Scary to think that this might be the latter, as it would have some very serious implications for all of us on the darkside.
  • DoogyDoogy Posts: 4,508
    this much I know; NGC uses a coin expert from Hong Kong to authenticate the really high dollar Far East (especially China) stuff. He is bascially akin to our Q. David Bowers here, and reportadly has the best eyes in the business in this field. I would imagine this allows them to authenicate and grade this type of material with relative certainty, especially the high dollar stuff like the 140k NGC Chinese coin that just sold at an auction in Hong Kong.

• ajaanajaan Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is 'expensive'? Are they giving a value?

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I heard that PCGS will no longer certify expensive Chinese coins because of the high quality fakes? >>

Source? Link?

• << <i>I heard that PCGS will no longer certify expensive Chinese coins because of the high quality fakes? >>

Absolutely incorrect.
    Ron Guth
    President
    PCGS CoinFacts - the Internet Encyclopedia of U.S. Coins
    www.CoinFacts.com
  • ajaanajaan Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the clarification Ron.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • MR168MR168 Posts: 78 ✭✭

<< <i>this much I know; NGC uses a coin expert from Hong Kong to authenticate the really high dollar Far East (especially China) stuff.....
    So,would you preferred NGC to grade your Chinese coins? I still like PCGS better.
  • WHEW ! Thanks for clearing this matter up Ron..

I've got my eye on a PCGS Hong Kong @ the moment.
  • DoogyDoogy Posts: 4,508

<< <i>

<< <i>this much I know; NGC uses a coin expert from Hong Kong to authenticate the really high dollar Far East (especially China) stuff.....
    So,would you preferred NGC to grade your Chinese coins? I still like PCGS better. >>

because of that reason, yes. The more expert eyes the better, especially eyes from the coin's home country of origin.

• I wouldn't be surprised if there was some collaboration between NGC and PCGS experts, especially in this area.

But if the #1 man works for NGC, would send mine there too !
  • MR168MR168 Posts: 78 ✭✭
    Who grades Chinese coins for PCGS?
  • GrivGriv Posts: 2,804

<< <i>

<< <i>That would be an unfortunate admission on the part of PCGS. Isn't part of their mission to authenticate coins? >>

Good point. >>

What a jerk. Drop your stupid sig pics. The surge worked, America hasn't had a major attack since 911 so show a little respect moron.