Home Sports Talk
Options

all american footbal league? anyone heard of this?

I just saw they had there draft yesterday. names like chris leak eric crouch peter warrick etc..

wonder if it will last? 6 team league starts in april championship game july 4th. players paid 5k a game. playing in college and pro stadiums. have to have a degree to get in.

link

Comments

• Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Actually, when I met Eric Crouch at the TriStar show, he told me about it.

He said that he signed with the Texas franchise, which I didn't know at the time, is here in Houston image
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    AkbarCloneAkbarClone Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭
    This is the first I have heard of it--but after checking out their website, I have decided to root for the Tennesee team.

Go Tennessee!

....my second favorite team will be Alabama.

The other teams can suck eggs.

I collect Vintage Cards, Commemorative Sets, and way too many vintage and modern player collections in Baseball (180 players), Football (175 players), and Basketball (87 players). Also have a Dallas Cowboy team collection.
  • Options
    Very cool....I hadn't heard anything about this. I'll have to pull for the Florida team, but I don't see that they have a sportscard sponsor yet. Maybe we should all create a new card company and have our input as to the design of the cards. Plus, the inserts can be designed by Knuckles. image

Might be interesting to watch.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh yea - this'll last. Wonder how many rich dopes they'll scam money out of with this venture, which has no chance of succeeding.
  • Options
    kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    stevek i actually think this will last longer then the new ufl that is gonna start next year during football season to be played on friday nights..

no idea what that league is about also. but why run it on friday nights during football season. there thinking is people want more football so friday there is no competition with ncaa or nfl..

but hmmmm highschool football does take up alot of viewers times as familys go to watch there kids play..

id be shocked if either one makes it. but i think the aafl being in the spring and at huge college campus will help them.
  • Options
    They are doing a few things that show some brains: The schedule doesn't interfere with the NFL or college football (April thru June). They are in states where big time college football is at the forefront. Chances are a good percentage of the players will be recognized by the college fans. Having college players in the states where they were big (Tee Martin in TN, Chris Leak in FLA etc) will help. Unfortunately, it's probably doomed before it even starts...
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a first class joke - like a fantasy owners league for rich people but who aren't rich enough to become an owner of a NFL franchise. Eventually when the losses mount up, they'll get tired of this and fold it...even rich people can't sustain losing lots of money for too long.

-
  • Options
    The USFL couldn't make it with a TV contract, the XFL had NBC but that fiasco lasted one season.

There is already an indoor spring football league with limited TV exposure that has managed to last around 20 year now.

Is there really enough interest for another league? Time will tell but I'm skeptical.
  • Options
    I gained some first hand insight in the AAFL this morning and will elaborate later today.

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    Oops, forgot to post this last night.

Each player gets a $50K salary with the potential to match it if they become part of the off-season marketing campaign.

Pay is better than the AFL and the players get to stay near their homes.

Most players do not anticipate using this as a spring board into the NFL. However, they do feel that this could give them a better opportunity over the AFL since they are playing by NFL rules.

One thing that a few players couldn't understand is that the league didn't announce the cities until recently. For example, my source (a local player) was approached a couple of months ago by the Texas franchise. He did not want to commit since he didn't know where they were going to play (ie Austin, Dallas, SA, Houston, etc), already had a spot with a AFL team, and is starting a family here in Houston. When they announced a couple of weeks ago that the team would play in Houston, he took their offer and is pretty excited about it.

+1 for insider information

• Options
    This seems rather disorganized and they want to start playing this SPRING?

• Options

<< <i>This seems rather disorganized and they want to start playing this SPRING? >>

My guy said that it may look that way on the outside; however, the players are comfortable with the direction it's headed.

fwiw
  • Options
    A little birdy told me this season may be in jeopardy.

More details later...
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>A little birdy told me this season may be in jeopardy.

More details later... >>

Does this new story have legs? image
  • Options

<< <i>Does this new story have legs? image >>

Yuppers image

<< <i>-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Thursday, March 06, 2008 1:35 PM
    To: Me
    Subject: AAFL

We were just talking about this!

Go to www.aafl.com. They posted this message about an hour ago.

Guess the league's not going to happen afterall. On to Plan B! >>

Here's the deal. Practice started last week and the players were told last night there was a possibility the season may be postponed. Keep in mind that a lot of players quit jobs and declined opportunities with the AFL.

Several, including my source, have done many appearances and were suppose to get paid for said appearances tomorrow.

If they can't get an infusion of capital soon, expect many players to walk and never return.
  • Options
    MichiganMichigan Posts: 4,942
    A quick news search found:

GAINESVILLE — The All-American Football League is expected to announce Thursday that it will not play its inaugural season, according to a source familiar with the situation.

The source, who requested anonymity because the person didn’t have authorization to make the announcement, said late Wednesday night that financial issues have saddled some of the teams in the six-team league. The league, which targeted players who are college graduates, was supposed to begin play April 19 with teams in Florida, Alabama, Arkansas, Tennessee, Texas and Michigan.

Further details weren’t available, and the league’s offices were closed. An e-mail to the league’s media relations director wasn’t returned.

The league held its inaugural draft in January, and Team Florida was scheduled to open training camp Wednesday.

Looks like the league is history before it even played a game.
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The All American Football League continues to progress toward its 2008 inaugural season. The League’s CEO, Marcus Katz, stated that discussions continue with several prospective investors and that negotiations for broadcast coverage of AAFL games continue to move forward. The start of preseason training camps will be delayed briefly during this process, with the intent that the League’s games will kick off on April 12, 2008. >>

the above from their website. Not much of a training camp if they are too start playing next Wed.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options

<< <i>A quick news search found: >>

I can't speak on behalf of a news article; my source is a player and his wife.

Should get an update on Monday and will gladly post info here.