Home Autographs Forum
Options

Autograph Price Guide

Does anyone think that Krause's Standard Guide to Collecting Autographs is an accurate price guide? I collect literary cut signatures and their prices seem impossibly low. For instance, I have a very rare Stephen Crane that they list as $500. F Scott Fitzgerald is at $425. A signature that just isn't out there, Emily Dickinson, is $800. I defy anyone to find a Dickinson signature for $800. I would pay twice that much. Charles Dickens at $585? Where? Is there a better source for accurate values? If I could buy at their prices I would be spending like crazy. It devalues one's collection at the same time as being an unreliable gauge of market values.

Comments

• Options
    alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭

<< <i> Is there a better source for accurate values? >>

First off....the canned response...Its a guide, not the rule.

Now that that is out of the way...Your never gonna find a priceguide of any kind that will please you enough. The best you can do is search many different auctions sites for realized prices of the autos your curious about.

<< <i>It devalues one's collection at the same time as being an unreliable gauge of market values. >>

it really doesn't because most people now know understand the canned response and expect that those prices are off and how much it would really take to acquire those autos. A truly informed collector probably ignores the guides. Now, if your talking insurance reasons, then most insurance companies will use realized prices to make a fair market value to determine your compensation if something happens.
    Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    A great source to go to find market value of autographs is http://www.rrauction.com and click on the completed auctions link. You can search by name.

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    Thanks for the tip. I checked it out and it looks very interesting. I signed up and am ready to bid.