Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Gold Alexander the Great....wow

I like this coin...what would you grade it, and how would I find the appropriate value on something so unique?

Comments

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd have to sell my whole collection to buy it.

10K plus, I'd guess.
  • Options
    So this coin would just be a Greek Myth to me too...image
  • Options

That is one beautiful coin!

Marcel
    Ebay user name: 00MadMuffin00
  • Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    The alexander AV are not by any means unique but can be pricy. Here's a very high grade example sold by CNG at a very high price. You see these in various grades from time to time for somewhat less and in lesser grades.

link

Might I suggest you buy a book or two before plunking down serious $? Wayne Sayles (who founded and used to edit the Celetor) has a very good series of basic books for collectors and I'm sure Greek is among them. You should be able to find them on ebay or any larger book seller.

Also, VCoins might be a good place to look, price compare for you before plunging in. Here's a quick search I did. 3 of these are offered at prices between $2300 and 4500 and all seem fully struck on the flan.

vcoins link

Good Luck.

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    Thanks, STLNATS. that is some great information, puts things in perspective.image
  • Options
    Looks VF, roughly $1750 - $2250.
  • Options
    Thanks ancients. seller is asking $2,800.